• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin hopes to name new manager this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
We probably ended up surviving in the championship under his replacement, who signed the right players to keep SUFC up ??‍♂️

Tilson's budget was 24th in the Championship. Much less then Col U's at the time.....You cant stay up unless your own fans have the knowledge and the bottle to deal with that.

When your punching well above your weight you have to fight dirty and to survive, not entertain.

Even when Sturrock or PB did a good job, the football wasn't 'entertaining' enough for some.

What if it was no 2 at Bournemouth, yes it would be full time and we would lose him but a championship club with a billionaire backer with windfall payment and cash from player sales, remember he is only 39, there is no rush.

Nope, sorry dude. Bar perhaps the biggest clubs, I can't see any backroom staff role anywhere being a more attractive proposition than a full-time manager gig at an EFL club. Logic might dictate things like a bigger salary, a bigger club, more job security etc. But logic doesn't apply to football and certainly not to managers' roles. It's not a normal business. Football managers are competitive, hungry for success and want to make names for themselves as a no1. I really would be shocked to see AM or lower at AFCB being more attractive than the manager's role here.

Tilson's budget was 24th in the Championship. Much less then Col U's at the time.....You cant stay up unless your own fans have the knowledge and the bottle to deal with that.

When your punching well above your weight you have to fight dirty and to survive, not entertain.

Even when Sturrock or PB did a good job, the football wasn't 'entertaining' enough for some.

Our Championship budget for the season was a division-lowest £2.5m. Next smallest was Col U at £4m. Quite a way adrift. We did well to compete as well as we did.

Nope, sorry dude. Bar perhaps the biggest clubs, I can't see any backroom staff role anywhere being a more attractive proposition than a full-time manager gig at an EFL club. Logic might dictate things like a bigger salary, a bigger club, more job security etc. But logic doesn't apply to football and certainly not to managers' roles. It's not a normal business. Football managers are competitive, hungry for success and want to make names for themselves as a no1. I really would be shocked to see AM or lower at AFCB being more attractive than the manager's role here.

The only thing is he might decide to sit tight and wait for a better opportunity. The comparison isn't between SUFC manager and a backroom role elsewhere. It's a comparison is between a manager's role here now or a potentially better role somewhere else at some point in the future.

Just a few thoughts.

• Ron still hasn't learnt - everything moves at a glacial pace
  • The longer this goes on the less chance I see of it happening
  • The longer this goes on the less MM seems to fit the criteria Ron was looking for in a new manger
a new messiah , just need the 3 kings from orient with gifts

None of our recent mangers moved family to Southend, nor did Graham Coughlan.....Its simple not an issue for anyone who wants a job in the EFL......If it was why would you apply in the first place?

Players are different because they have a choice, in the end thats why James Henry didn't sign for us.

Plus there is a big assumption that its all Weymouth staff coming with him. It could well be compensation for his choice of number 2 at a different club etc.

As other have said, opportunities in football are rare and often not repeated. Tilly failed to take his as a player and manager and its cost him.
I get your points but disagree that it’s “ different “ for players, players and managers both have the same choices. The only difference is that the mangers will be older and at a different stage in their life

The only thing is he might decide to sit tight and wait for a better opportunity. The comparison isn't between SUFC manager and a backroom role elsewhere. It's a comparison is between a manager's role here now or a potentially better role somewhere else at some point in the future.

I mean that's up to him. But things could go pear-shaped at Weymouth next season and he loses the chance.

Seriously, would anyone with half an ounce of common sense or any desire for self preservation want to put their hard won reputation on the line by joining a basket case club, run by a chairman whose track record would frighten off all but the most desperate or self absorbed.

Seriously, would anyone with half an ounce of common sense or any desire for self preservation want to put their hard won reputation on the line by joining a basket case club, run by a chairman whose track record would frighten off all but the most desperate or self absorbed.
We might be a basket case club now, but it's the potential that's attractive. We are the biggest team in Essex and have a huge draw from many locals.

I know a lot of people who would go to games, but dislike Roots Hall or haven't seen much great football recently.

I think we drew almost 7 times the fans Weymouth did last season, and that's while we were failing miserably and Weymouth were on the up. For reference, Chelsea drew roughly 7 or 8 times the fans we did.

The only thing holding us back is the lack of success and if MM believes Ron about the stadium and new funding, then I think he's much more likely to take this opportunity.

A lot of funding will become available from various sources if the Council finally approves plans for Fossetts Farm and the Council know that Southend United is the pride of south east Essex, so I hope they will not put anything more in the way.

Try to think positive mate ?

Bad example but the Cowley’s did when they joined Huddersfield.

If the new Bournemouth manager decides he wants his own people in place then MM is left with a part time gig managing a team of part time footballers.

One bad season and he is yesterdays man destined to spend his like in the corner of a pub telling people about the time he could have managed Southend United.

Last edited:
I mean that's up to him. But things could go pear-shaped at Weymouth next season and he loses the chance.

Indeed. I'm not offering an opinion on what his decision should be. What I'm saying is that people are making the wrong comparison.

I get your points but disagree that it’s “ different “ for players, players and managers both have the same choices. The only difference is that the mangers will be older and at a different stage in their life

Its not often managers have several clubs chasing them at the same time. James Henry lived in Reading so chose Oxford instead of Southend because he didn't want to move here and then found the commute longer than he expected.

Its not a given that a manger has an older family. PB's youngest daughter was 11 when he took the gig with us.....Not the time to be moving schools.

The other factor is by nature a manager or coach is more geared to a life of football. Many players have no intention of going down that path so will choose life style over career prospects......Did the same in my own job, turned down promotion to stations that were further travel and not the best staff.....Plus i was to busy in my days off. I never got asked again.

Because if he achieves success at a basket case club opportunities at a higher level will present themselves.

And it's not that outlandish to consider that he may be a success at Southend.

Southend are likely to get back into L1 before Weymouth get into the Football League. Southend are a bigger club in L2 than Weymouth are in the Conference. More teams get promoted from L2 than from the Conference. Sturrock inherited a side (well, a third of a side) in a mess, had a season of consolidation and then challenged for automatic promotion the next year. L2 is the easiest league to turn things around in.

Southend is the better opportunity so if a manager backs themselves they will chose Southend.

That is common practice. However do you wait until after a winding up order?
Not many companies do but you can do and (I could be wrong) i don’t think you get penalised as you can pay the day before or on the day before the hearing. Not saying taking it that far is right as it is stretching it to the limit but it can be done.

Not defending Ron (before you accuse me of defending him) or anyone just pointing out it can be done.

If the new Bournemouth manager decides he wants his own people in place then MM is left with a part time gig managing a team of part time footballers.

One bad season and he is yesterdays man destined to spend his like in the corner of a pub telling people about the time he could have managed Southend United.
But the new manager was Bournemouth's number 2 so MM is already one of his, part of the management team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back