• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with striker and chairman Ron Martin hopes to clear embargo next week

Hope it's not calvin Andrew as some have suggested! Hes absolute c....p!!! And just another acquah with an even worse record! Wikipedia shows the nightmare carer.Dont want him nowhere near the club.

Oh, he's a carer as well as a footballer. If you don't want him 'nowhere near' it surely means you want him 'somewhere near' doesn't it ?

Wikipedia shows league goals. How do you assess his overall contribution to a team by this single measure? It doesn't show aerial duels, completed passes, how often he forced defenders into mistakes, headed clearances from set pieces, amount of times he has held the ball up to allow midfielders to get beyond him into good positions.

Presumably it also shows that he has played a lot of football at higher levels than we currently are. It's almost as if there are other aspects to a striker's game rather than just putting the ball into the net.

We're the worst team in England. There's not a great amount of decent players out there and available. So we're going to have to get what we can.
Yes theres a reason we are the worst team in england WE DONT PUT THE BALL IN THE NET!! and u want us to sign another hard worker who cant score? Arent u fed up of players coming to our club who cant score? I most certainly am.

Playing over 250 games in League One, another 60 odd in the Championship isn't really the nightmare career you're portraying it to be.
What do we need right now ? Goals!! Why do we need goals? To stay up.What does calvin andrew not do? Score goals.But we should sign calvin Andrew then?

“Three players, Kaz (Sterling), Ash (Nathaniel-George) and Emile (Acquah) will continue to miss out on Tuesday due to Covid,” said Martin.

"Sim (Akinola), Sam Hart, who is expected to be match fit, and perhaps a new striker with whom we have been in discussion could all very soon be available.

“Maybe in a couple of weeks Kyle Taylor should also be recovered from the tweak to his hamstring too.

Ron should be doing the managers pre-match press conference ...
I don't think he should. And when he goes to watch us next Tuesday as per his "quote" and finds out there is no game, you will realise why.

Playing up front isn’t all about goals, it’s also about setting play up, bringing others into the game with lay offs, making runs to open space, getting assists as well. Hard to take stats without looking at what else is on offer. Before signing for us Barry Corr had a poor record, Tom Hoopers wasn’t overly impressive something like 1 in 5 but both of those players did well for us

BTW on HMRC and payment plans. I think HMRC supported extensions of our winding up order actively referencing the likely property scheme and restructuring. They got their money. Probably those same future revenue streams that gave HMRC confidence we would settle the old debt as a lump sum will provide confidence in any future payment scheme (certainly more so than many other L1/L2 clubs who can rely on future footballing revenues only). Again we shall see if its all another lie..

I am a little unsure on this as the ground will not be ours, we will merely be tenants, and unlikely to pull in crowds of more than around 5000, even less if we get relegated to the national league so how will we be able to guarantee, as a club, future income

Yes theres a reason we are the worst team in england WE DONT PUT THE BALL IN THE NET!! and u want us to sign another hard worker who cant score? Arent u fed up of players coming to our club who cant score? I most certainly am.

Again, you're taking one statistic and making it the be-all-and-end-all. What if during that time the team averaged, say, 2-3 goals a game and won, say, 75% of their matches? What if without him in the team those numbers dropped off dramatically? Would you still say he's not worth it?

Ian Benjamin didn't score that many goals, but he laid on nearly all of Brett Angell's. Together they were fantastic.

Last edited:
I am a little unsure on this as the ground will not be ours, we will merely be tenants, and unlikely to pull in crowds of more than around 5000, even less if we get relegated to the national league so how will we be able to guarantee, as a club, future income
I think HMRC have long given upon trying to fully the separate the finances of clubs and owners. Virtually no clubs in the EFL make money but are viable their owners. They will just believe the funding will be there- the fact that the cost base has been addressed (i.e, wage bill) won't do any harm either.

Yes. Surely it would help all our players score more goals if we were able to retain the ball more often in the final third of the pitch?

Back