• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with striker and chairman Ron Martin hopes to clear embargo next week

I loved Fortuné. He was genuinely my favourite player while he was with us. His ability to keep and hold the ball took a lot of pressure of us at times when we were defending a lead or holding on for a draw. And he did an awful lot to bring other players in. He made good intelligent runs into space, too, and was always bothering defenders to try to get possession back.

Defenders must have hated playing against him.
Model pro as well.

He must have been around 35 when we had him and I'd bank on him being one of the hardest working in the squad. He never seemed to stop running and chasing lost causes. The partnership he had with Cox was a great one at times as well.

The realisation that in a little over two years we have gone from Cox and Fortune to Goodship and Acquah is terrifying. What makes it worse is some people used to slate Fortune - I'd do anything to have a player like that up front for us now!

Model pro as well.

He must have been around 35 when we had him and I'd bank on him being one of the hardest working in the squad. He never seemed to stop running and chasing lost causes. The partnership he had with Cox was a great one at times as well.

The realisation that in a little over two years we have gone from Cox and Fortune to Goodship and Acquah is terrifying. What makes it worse is some people used to slate Fortune - I'd do anything to have a player like that up front for us now!

I absolutely loved Fortune. Class player who brought so much to the game. His hold up play, the way he brought other players into the game and most importantly the example he was to the younger players of how to conduct yourself on and off the pitch. One of my favourite players

Last edited:
Fortune also had some good players round him- Cox, Macca, Timlin, Wordsworth, Leonard.
What current players would be able to benefit from such a player.

No need to worry. Within a fortnight we will feel positive and assured. The trepidation we are experiencing will be committed to the waste bin of forgotten history. UTB

Model pro as well.

Something I almost mentioned but didn't want to seem like I was laying it on a bit too thick was what a good example he was in terms of fitness and preparation. Before games and at halftime you'd see him doing extra stretches, exercises and warm-ups to properly prepare himself for the game.

That kind of thing is why he could play with as much energy and effort as he did when he was already 35 when he signed for us. He put a lot of the younger players to shame with his level of fitness.

I'd be thrilled if we hired him as a fitness and preparation coach.

I still can’t see anyone about better than Chris O’Grady that fits the bill...if he’s training with us it’s difficult to believe we won’t know very soon

If he is training I suspect he has agreed to sign subject to the embargo being listed this week- he clearly wants football so why would you sign unless you were sure embargo lifted
more chance of signing Paul O'Grady ;-)

So also what happens in January with White and McCormack whose contracts I believe expire then and the loans that expire then? Will be be joining a 5 a side League?

Well I guess that depends on how Macca and JW perform up until then, given that they have both missed a lot of the season through injury I would be a bit wary of offering a new contract to either, if of course we can sign a replacement.

as for the loans I think Oly will end up in L1 or the championship after Jan but Kyle will stay with us

Didn't realise Taylor's loan was until Jan. Very worrying that we could lose Macca, White, Olayinka, Sterling and Taylor and not have ready replacements

What does it matter? We’re down anyway. Ron’s given up.

Didn't realise Taylor's loan was until Jan. Very worrying that we could lose Macca, White, Olayinka, Sterling and Taylor and not have ready replacements
..........and be unable to replace them as we may still be under an embargo.

I am at the stage where if I was offered non-league football but a new Chairman then I would take it in a heartbeat.

Ron has drained the joy and the hope of watching my Team from me.

Merry Christmas you ****.

..........and be unable to replace them as we may still be under an embargo.

I am at the stage where if I was offered non-league football but a new Chairman then I would take it in a heartbeat.

Ron has drained the joy and the hope of watching my Team from me.

Merry Christmas you ****.
Martin out!

Back