• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with striker and chairman Ron Martin hopes to clear embargo next week

I was once involved in doing a lot of business with a Spanish firm, whilst chasing up deliveries for the umteenth time they came out with the classic " the trouble with you British is you think manyana means tomorrow, it doesn't, it means not today!"
Our new walk on music for when fans come back? -

I was once involved in doing a lot of business with a Spanish firm, whilst chasing up deliveries for the umteenth time they came out with the classic " the trouble with you British is you think manyana means tomorrow, it doesn't, it means not today!"

Quite right.I used to work with an English colleague (whose Spanish was/is ) much better than mine.He used to say that the only way you'd get something (later) today was if were promised "en seguida" ie right away.:Smile:

As a fanbase we can't really have it both ways. We can't demand Ron communicates and gives us answers and then when he does, say it's all rubbish and more lies.

This is what happens when trust breaks down between owner and supporters over several years.

I guess we have little choice but to suspend disbelief and if/when it proves to be a lie, take him to task on it and add it to the list.

As hope is pretty much all we have right now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.

This has crossed my mind. @Napster did some great digging sometime last year and found out that the Zakay and Dellal families were involved in the background with Fossetts. Each family has unbelievable wealth on their own, let alone together. Possibility that a positive outcome from Tuesday's meeting, or granting of planning permission at the Development Control Committee meeting on 4th December, would provide Ron Martin with some very valuable security against which he can secure loans or cash advances from some obscenely wealthy people, to inject cash into the club and keep it running until Fossetts opens. I've assumed in my own mind that this is the 'financial restructuring' that RM referred to a few times before the 'Rona made an appearance. If this is the case then I don't necessarily think it was his intention to use that to get the embargo lifted, just the way it's worked out.

Such a refinancing will take time though. It's not going to be a case of instant lending. I think you're talking about weeks for planning permission to turn into credit.

I'm quite excited at the possibility of another striker. I have no idea who's still a free agent at this point.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending Sterling back if it means registering whoever this mystery strikers was...

I'm quite excited at the possibility of another striker. I have no idea who's still a free agent at this point.

I wouldn't be opposed to sending Sterling back if it means registering whoever this mystery strikers was...

If you're happy with that, wouldn't you rather they sent him back and registered the players we already have?

Couple of questions:-

Can we sign non-league (i.e. Conference) players within the official windows?

Could we be after an under 23 player from a 1st or 2nd division team (now rebadged by highly paid marketing people as Premier League and Championship)? Player might cancel their existing contract in order to move on perhaps?

Couple of questions:-

Can we sign non-league (i.e. Conference) players within the official windows?

Could we be after an under 23 player from a 1st or 2nd division team (now rebadged by highly paid marketing people as Premier League and Championship)? Player might cancel their existing contract in order to move on perhaps?

Players can't cancel contracts and then move outside of transfer windows. It would need to be someone who was out of contract when the deadline closed or a loan.

Just putting this out there... Ron says nothing and he is pulled to pieces on here. He gives a statement and either it's wrong or no-one believes him.

I'm not saying that his word is gospel, but we either want communication or we don't.

Personally I'm pleased that he has been a bit more communicative lately, which is apparently what we all wanted. It's keeping us all in the loop, as much as he can. If the general message when he does this is that he may as well not bother or that they are lies, then I don't see much incentive for him to continue. He'll just shut up again.

The problem isn't that he says something. It's that he all too often says the same thing that turned out to be smoke and mirrors bull**** the last few times he said it. So those of us who've seen him trot out the same tired old routine feel free to call it the rubbish that it is.

"I'll be strengthening the team in the January transfer window." (But I won't.)
"Look at the player we just signed!" (But they can't be registered so it means nothing. Can't wait to see Theo Vassell and Emmanuel Osadebe play!)
"Lifting the transfer embargo is just a 10 minute phone call." (Which I won't ever make.)

I will not be surprised if we never see Akinola and Hart play for us. Ron can say he "hopes" to get the embargo lifted as often as he likes. But until he does it, it means nothing.

Actions speak louder than words.

This has crossed my mind. @Napster did some great digging sometime last year and found out that the Zakay and Dellal families were involved in the background with Fossetts. Each family has unbelievable wealth on their own, let alone together. Possibility that a positive outcome from Tuesday's meeting, or granting of planning permission at the Development Control Committee meeting on 4th December, would provide Ron Martin with some very valuable security against which he can secure loans or cash advances from some obscenely wealthy people, to inject cash into the club and keep it running until Fossetts opens. I've assumed in my own mind that this is the 'financial restructuring' that RM referred to a few times before the 'Rona made an appearance. If this is the case then I don't necessarily think it was his intention to use that to get the embargo lifted, just the way it's worked out.

Those two families have massive property fortunes, we are probably talking 9-10 billion pounds between them.

Be interesting if another hurdle gets cleared today.

It will mean plans being submitted and another large hurdle cleared. May be enough to secure some more funds and get us out of embargo. Tonight's game highlights the importance of getting it done. Hart and Akinola would undoubtedly start.

Back