• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United staff still waiting for December's wages

Poor chap. You do like to make it personal, don't you? To tell truth, I didn't check the poster until your reply.
I was asking a question, and @Ricey supplied the answer.
Two separate messages linked by a common thread: non-playing staff.
What caught the attention was that comment about 'journalism'?
Am assume you mean all journalism in all journalistic media, no matter the outlet or the writer, or just CP and the Echo?
Journalism and sensationalism and closely linked. To sell papers and other kinds of media, it needs to catch the eye and make it appealing. In this case posting 2 totally separate things one after the other and implying something to pique peoples interest that isn't there is the kind of journalism aforementioned

I am on a Facebook ban for swearing on an Legia Facebook page, will be back posting on Facebook tomorrow afternoon.

amazing how all these mickey mouse clubs with gates of around 1k compete at this level year after year after year and how SUFC with gates of almost 6k and a turnover of GBP 7 million in the last accounts can't even pay the mascot ...
They are bankrolled by businessmen and many come crashing down to their natural level when the owner can no longer afford to fund them.

Ok, I'm not an employment lawyer, but NDAs can be included in employment contracts and could be known as "confidentiality clauses". However, I would be surprised if SUFC backroom staff had them in their contracts as a matter of course.

So for them to have to sign one, there must be some sort of settlement agreement going on.

Therefore, consider this scenario, which is exactly that - a scenario - and I have no knowledge of any staff or any situation at the club to even suspect that this might be the case. But suppose Tom has approached the staff and has advised them that the months from November to February are going to be very difficult with wages likely not to be paid. However, if they stick with it, then - in return for signing an NDA - they will be fully paid as soon as possible and also will get a large bonus payment in March.

I think that's unlikely personally, but it sets out circumstances where an NDA can be utilised. It also throws new light on the whole "staff not being paid" issue. If they know they aren't going to be paid because they have agreed to the deferment and signed a NDA, then no-one has done anything wrong,

On the plus side - there does appear to be money coming into the club - probably in excess of just the home ticket sales.

CP's tweet also contradicts some other info posted on here that a non playing staff member had received Novembers pay a day late. Perhaps it's really dependent on what staff member you talk to - maybe there isn't a statement that captures the situation for all members of staff accurately???

Those of us outside of the club don't really know what the staff have been told if anything.I truly believe that Tom is a decent guy and told the staff what the true situation is and how long they are going to be struggling that any decent and professional employer should be doing

Easy to say when it’s not you isn’t it.

But I think if it was me, I’d be rounding up the rest of the staff and organising a mass walkout the next Matchday. They are being royally mugged off every month.
Is there a chance that ron has apologised to the staff, and promised them a bonus when the loan comes in for their loyalty?

Easy to say when it’s not you isn’t it.

But I think if it was me, I’d be rounding up the rest of the staff and organising a mass walkout the next Matchday. They are being royally mugged off every month.

Kind of depends on the carrot being dangled for "hanging in there" though, I suspect.

Not sure how all unpaid staff can live for a month without being paid. If my employers told me I wasn't being paid this month I'd be royally screwed

I should imagine Chris Phillips hopes that people use a bit of common sense when reading what he writes, but sadly that isn't always the case.
You'd better believe it!
Have read it a couple of times, and can see why they're mentioned in the same tweet.
CP says 'and' - as in here's another thing, but some Zoners insist it's done with a sensational agenda.
It makes me laugh what we do is still sensational!
Short of attempting a Doncaster with Roots Hall, I think we've heard it all, eh?

I feel for these players and staff they all have bills to pay but pray we beat Bromley

Not sure how all unpaid staff can live for a month without being paid. If my employers told me I wasn't being paid this month I'd be royally screwed

Ideally people should have a contingency fund of 3 to 6 months outgoings/wages saved up. It's also possible that staff aren't going a whole month without all of their pay - e.g., part wages paid at some point or 'only' a week or so late??? Or the ones that did, have left?

As I mentioned earlier, it appears to me there isn't a statement that seems to capture the situation for all staff based on the various comments on here/the echo.

Ideally people should have a contingency fund of 3 to 6 months outgoings/wages saved up. It's also possible that staff aren't going a whole month without all of their pay - e.g., part wages paid at some point or 'only' a week or so late??? Or the ones that did, have left?

As I mentioned earlier, it appears to me there isn't a statement that seems to capture the situation for all staff based on the various comments on here/the echo.
That's just not possible in the current climate and I expect some of the staff will be on minimum wage or a lower wage. The cost of living makes trying to maintain a contingency fund almost impossible. A lot of people's contingencies are a credit card and I imagine that has probably taken a bashing of late.

Back