• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think Phil is too stubborn to change the formation. Unbeaten at four at home will mean to him that he should stick with it, regardless of the fact that we've been lucky and played some dreadful football.

Oxley,
Demetriou, Inniss, Ferdinand, Barrett, Coker,
O'Neill, Leonard, Atkinson, McLaughlin,
Fortune

Subs: Smith, White, Thompson, McGlashan, Wordsworth, Cox, Ranger​

What I think he should do...
Oxley,
Demetriou, Inniss, Ferdinand, Coker,
McGlashan, Leonard, Atkinson, McLaughlin,
Fortune, Cox

Subs: Smith, Thompson, Barrett, O'Neill, Wordsworth, Ranger, Mooney

Wordsworth seemed tired according to most at Rochdale and he has played a lot of games in a very short time frame after a long time out, so think Atkinson may get a chance and would solidify things a bit more if it is four at the back. Can't see Brown changing it, he kept it after Scunthorpe and that defeat was even worse than Rochdale. PB will undoubtedly scapegoat some people as he loves to do, I'm guessing it'll be Mooney and McGlashan (after all, who would want a quick winger?). Whatever happens, I'd like to see Ranger come on as a substitute and get some minutes, preferrably alongside Cox up front.

Oxley
White Innis Ferdinand Coker
Demetirou Leonard(Capt) Wordsworth Mc Glashan
Cox Ranger

Subs T Smith. Barratt. O.Neill. Atkinson. Mc Laughlin Mooney Fortune

Think we need to rest Adam and give armband to Lenny. Go back to White and Coker.

If White plays and Barrett doesn't, then White takes the armband.

Interesting you're putting McGlashan on the "wrong" side.

I'd go with:
Oxley
White, Inniss, Ferdinand, Coker
Demetriou, Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin
Ranger & Cox

Slight variation on what's been said,

Oxley,

McGlashan, Leonard, Atkinson, McLaughlin
Ranger, Cox

Subs: Smith, Thompson, White, O'Neill, Wordsworth, Mooney, Fortune

Anything but a win is failure...

I also believe Ched Evans is excluded for them whilst he attends his re-trial! So, some encouraging news

Slight variation on what's been said,

Oxley,

McGlashan, Leonard, Atkinson, McLaughlin
Ranger, Cox

Subs: Smith, Thompson, White, O'Neill, Wordsworth, Mooney, Fortune

Anything but a win is failure...

I also believe Ched Evans is excluded for them whilst he attends his re-trial! So, some encouraging news

Re:Ched Evans. Re-trial finished today. Verdict expected Thursday/Friday. Whatever the outcome, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in their squad Saturday. Should make for a nice, friendly atmosphere!

Re:Ched Evans. Re-trial finished today. Verdict expected Thursday/Friday. Whatever the outcome, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in their squad Saturday. Should make for a nice, friendly atmosphere!

wasnt aware it finished today, hope he doesn't play, firstly: it will tarnish the atmosphere and secondly; he scores goals...

I'd be very surprised to see him in the squad after a week or so in court

Oxley
.................Thompson
Demetriou, Innis, Ferdinand, Coker
............. , Atkinson
.....Leonard,............ Cox
............Ranger , Fortune

If White plays and Barrett doesn't, then White takes the armband.

Interesting you're putting McGlashan on the "wrong" side.

I'd go with:
Oxley
White, Inniss, Ferdinand, Coker
Demetriou, Leonard, Wordsworth, McLaughlin
Ranger & Cox

O.B.L.
A steady player is John White but he is NOT a leader of men. I think it should be Ryan Leonard in Adam's absence.

Narrow-ish diamond.

Oxley
Demetriou Inniss Barrett Coker
Ferdinand
Leonard Atkinson
Wordsworth
Fortuné Cox

Subs: Smith, White, Thompson, McLaughlin, McGlashan, Mooney, Ranger

Players on bench to switch to wingers and stretch them if need be.

O.B.L.
A steady player is John White but he is NOT a leader of men. I think it should be Ryan Leonard in Adam's absence.
Whatever you think doesn't matter, that is the way it is. The fact that a lot of the unrest goes back to when Brown took the captaincy off him (however justified it may have been) goes to show that the players were not comfortable with this.

Football captaincy has always seemed an odd thing to me, anyway.

Unlike cricket, where a captain chooses bowling changes, fielding changes and so on, a football captain doesn't really have any authority. The manager makes substitutions, selects the side, picks the system and barks out the instructions.

Pretty much everybody is a captain, once the game starts, when it comes to rallying the team and so on.

I'm guessing JW lost the captaincy as he couldn't command a regular place in the team and towards the back end of last season, didn't he have a few personal problems. Not sure on that.

Either way, I like JW. Fully committed and a good honest pro, so would not have a problem with him being given the captaincy role. Likewise, AB is the same.

Whatever you think doesn't matter, that is the way it is. The fact that a lot of the unrest goes back to when Brown took the captaincy off him (however justified it may have been) goes to show that the players were not comfortable with this.

The unrest goes back a lot further and runs deeper than that. That would also suggest players aren't happy with Barrett as captain which isn't the case.

Point taken.
Yes but the vocal encouragment was certainly coming from a certain centre back, and yes i am aware as a person who leads a team that is not everything.

Narrow-ish diamond.

Oxley
Demetriou Inniss Barrett Coker
Ferdinand
Leonard Atkinson
Wordsworth
Fortuné Cox

Subs: Smith, White, Thompson, McLaughlin, McGlashan, Mooney, Ranger

Players on bench to switch to wingers and stretch them if need be.

Weird one , because part of me thinks that side won't work , but I actually like it a lot.
Maybe Ranger in for Fortune ?
Whatever he does , he must start with 2 up front at home.
Anything else just gives the impetus to the opposition right from the start.
We are so negative , but surely Brown sees that as that isn't working , we may as well play to our strongest suit , which for me is the strikers we have.

The captain issue has always intrigued me. In some instances it has gone beyond being the leader on the pitch. Take Wayne Rooney - captain of England. He remains captain even when he is not selected.
If I was Manager of any team, my captain would be chosen from the starting line-up. The captain would be captain whilst on the pitch for that particular game. If all going well - he remains captain while in the team.
Surely the role is to encourage and organise. It does not have to be the same player every time.

Back