• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Dover, Tuesday 2nd November, 7:45pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 109 80.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 91 66.9%
  • John White

Votes: 68 50.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 60 44.1%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 111 81.6%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • James Dunne

• Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 87 64.0%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 96 70.6%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 107 78.7%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Louis Walsh

• Simeon Akinola

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 97 71.3%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Win

Votes: 81 59.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Tuesday night football returns to Roots Hall this week and it's King Kev's first home game as head coach. He's started with two tough away trips and another one to come in the cup next Saturday, so this game against a poor Dover side must surely be in his sights to target his first win in charge.

We've never played Dover in the league before, but have played them twice in the FA Cup - the 2019 game which is memorable only for Harry Lennon embarrassing himself afterwards, and a 1975 game in the 2nd round in front of 7696 at Roots Hall with goals by Peter Silvester (2), Stuart Parker and Alan Moody. It was a great year in the cup for us that year with us eventually going out in the fifth round losing 1-0 at the Baseball Ground in front of a crowd of nearly 32,000.

It's early days for the new coaching team, but Saturday did at least show us looking a bit better defensively, however I can't remember the last game when an opposition goalkeeper had to pull off a decent save which says they're yet to fix our impotent attack.

The new loanees looked decent and with Mr Ogogo missing on Tuesday there is an opportunity for maybe a more forward thinking midfielder to join the party. It has been mentioned that Ralph and Demi may be fit for this game too.

People have called this a "must win" game, at this stage of the season that's probably a bit of an over-reaction, however we're not going to get a much better opportunity to put 3 points on the board and a smile on our fans' faces. If we don't win then I really do fear for our survival this season.

So, what team should Kev and the boys pick to win this, and what do you predict the result to be?

Last edited:
442. Arnold, Howard, Hobson, lopata, Ralph, Walsh, brunt, Ferguson, bridge, rush, Dalby

3-1 win and I’ll be travelling from bumpkin-ville for Kevs first win!

This based on players seen this season and a 4-4-2 formation to attack at home, without what the management team have seen in training.

Obviously, with no knowledge of the up to date injury situation

I would be looking to attack, with instructions to get in front as early as possible and show the fans how good we can be:

....................................Arnold.....................................

Howard.......White..........Lopata..............Ralph

Walsh...........Brunt.............Bridge.......Dennis

.............Dalby.....................Rush.........................

I think we need to be more attacking, but wouldn't be surprised if we stuck with a 3-5-2 and had Egbri and Bridge back in the wing-back roles.

Would rather go for a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and take the game to them.

Arnold
Howard White Lopata Sayers
Walsh Ferguson Brunt Bridge
Dalby Murphy​

or

Arnold
Howard White Lopata Sayers
Ferguson Brunt
Walsh Phillips Bridge
Murphy
Whatever we go with, I hope the team has built confidence from the last game and build on that. We need multiple players who can create something.

I know some are frustrated with Murphy, but if we had a chance 12 yards out from goal then you'd pick him out of all our players to be the one it fell to. Get players like Brunt, Bridge, and Phillips on the field to create those good chances and I'm confident he will stick them away.

If Ralph is fit enough to start then he replaces Sayers.

Dont see many changes but we need a team to be more attacking.Its vital for everyone we come away with 3 points to build confidence

Dover are in a shocking state but it's worth noting that they have scored more goals than us this season. If we go in expecting a walkover we may come a cropper. Our strikers need much better service from our midfield if we are to win. Victory could be the tonic and boost to confidence that we need but only if it's convincing and not a scappy 1-0....

Unfortunately I can see our losing streak continuing..... the pressure will be on us to win, no doubt about that. Results haven't improved since the new management team have arrived, our lack confidents and goals is still big concern! Dover will come here with nothing to lose.... score prediction 1-2 dover.

Not a must win game but if we cant beat Dover. We really are in a worse state than i thought.
I would go 4-4-2. As the last game i saw, the three at the back were overrun, with no wing back's. The ball was always being played into a empty space on the wing, for the ball to be crossed into our penalty box.
Egbri is not a wing back. I thought he was great against Chertsey, but is that his level.??
He cant defend. Bridge is a better wing back but again not his strength.
I would also bring John White back in for his experience, at Centre half.

Arnold
Howard. White. Lopta. Ralph.
Bridge (Swap Wings) Dunne. Brunt. Ferguson.
Dalby. Murphy.

Subs. Walsh. Hobson. Phillips. Sayers. Akinola.

I really hoping for a good game and a win

Big Game this and only in November and a real relegation battle game

If anyone got a Season ticket friends who sit in the Red/Yellow/Blue section of the East Stand and are not planning to go.

I be happy to offer you £10 to use it for this match .....

Also don't worry I will not sit next to you as most probably, sit in the Groundsmans Bar for most of the match anyway ...lol

Last edited:
If we can't get at least a draw against Dover then I think we can write this season off.NL south here we come. When are the new management trio going to get SUFC scoring goals?:Scared:

Chris Phillips nails the BW game in the Echo (as usual).

Last edited:
Im just looking for an improvement then the result will take care of itself,
A hard fought battle but will go for a 2-1 win.
Dover will be thinking 3 points in their eyes thats for sure, who wouldn't when facing Southend at the minute.

I'd be tempted with a 4411/4231 in order to fit Brunt into the attack in a way we used to do with Jack Payne.

Arnold
Howard Lopata White Sayers
Ferguson Dunne
Walsh Brunt Bridge
Murphy

///

Arnold
Howard Lopata White Sayers
Walsh Ferguson Dunne Bridge
Brunt
Murphy​
That’s one of the most balanced sides I’ve seen proposed. Chapeau.

Dover are clearly down and out, the whipping boys of the division, so if we beat them, as we will be expected to, there will be no great credit in doing so. Interesting to see what the coaching team's tactics will be. If we are set up in Molesley mode difficult to see a goal resulting and it's going to be a long hard winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back