• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
Port Vale are the visitors to the Hall on Saturday, as a rejuvenated Southend side will probably look to field all three of this week's new signings. Port Vale have a bit of a selection nightmare, however, as first-teamers Stuart Tomlinson and Rob Taylor are out through injury, with a further fringe player injured, two long-term injuries, two players doubtful and another facing a late fitness test. On top of that, their five loan signings have all returned to their parent clubs, including our triallist Shane O'Connor, although he did not play a game for Vale. Vale manager Micky Adams commented "We've got and work with what we've got, if that means supplementing the squad with youth players, then that's what we've got to do."

We will be looking to improve on our run of only one win in our last eight games, and our last win at home in the League came two months ago, which was also the last time we managed to score more than once at home. Port Vale had a good run of three consecutive wins in December, but they are the only victories they have had in their last 11 games, and they have lost their last two. They have kept only two clean sheets away from home all season, both against teams in the bottom six, and the last one was on 25 October.

We will be looking not only for our first League double of the season, but also our first double against Port Vale since 1967. We may have lost to them only once in our last five encounters, but we have managed only one win against them at Roots Hall in the last 25 years.

I'll go for a 2-1 win, Hall and Benyon the scorers, with a crowd of just over 6,100.

Feeling a little more excited about this one than I would have done as I feel that our three new permanent signings, whilst obviously adding quality, will also be a mental boost to the dressing room.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Mohsni back and a strong side fielded.

i would love to see:
Morris

Clohessey, Phillips, Barker, mohsni
Hall, Timlin, Grant, Martin
Dickinson, Benyon

Subs
Bentley, prosser, Gilbert, Ferdinand, Harris

any news on when sawyer is back from his latest injury?

I'd like to see Gilbert back in, he has performed a lot more solidly this season, due to him being completely fit. Prosser is not a full back, and quite a limited CB, however he does have potential as some of his performances has shown. My team.

Morris
Clohessy, Phillips, Barker, Gilbert
Hall Grant Timlin Martin
Dicko Benyon

or if it isn't working with two out and out wingers, which it might not. Replace Martin or Hall with Kalala and push Grant out wide.

Let's smash em!

9-0 as hoofball is exorcised from the home of football and we play a smooth, swift passing game that harks back to the halcyon days of 1970's Brazil and we tear Port Vale a new botty hole.

Morris
Clohessy - Phillips - Barker - Prosser
Hall - Grant - Timlin - Martin
Dickinson - Benyon

Subs: Bentley - Mohsni - Kalala - Ferdinand - Harris

If he is fit i would like to see Mohsni start, bu i doubt Luggy will. Whoever plays, lets mix it up a bit, here room for the direct ball. now we have a bit of pace up front,but lets use our midfield in some sort of buildup, or its pointless having a midfield. Fingers x 2 1 to Blues.

i would love to see:
Morris

Clohessey, Phillips, Barker, mohsni
Hall, Timlin, Grant, Martin
Dickinson, Benyon

Subs
Bentley, prosser, Gilbert, Ferdinand, Harris

Ha ha if there is any friction between Peter Gilbert and Mohsni then Bilel stealing his place in the side isn't going to help matters!

But for what it's worth thats probably the XI I'd go with.

According to Chris Phillips Sawyer has a severe tear in his thigh and will be out for another four to six weeks.

This will be a tough game for Southend in my opinion for the following reasons.
  • Benyon and Martin have not been playing regularly and are new to the team and will take time to settle.
  • Harris was meant to be a top signing full of experience and given a long contract now appears to be consigned to the bench.
  • The Southend striker/s have not scored regularly as we struggle to deliver the ball consistently.
  • Mohsni the clown is still lurking in the background and presents the team and management with unwanted problems.
  • Morris will have lost confidence knowing that he is not Sturrocks preferred choice.
  • The Southend home supporters whinge and get on certain players backs rather than cheering the efforts.
  • Hall and Ferdinand are young lads who have not been rested enough to tackle a full season.
  • Grant is used as a holding player when he would be better striding forward in an attacking role.
  • Teams have sussed out our limited style of play.
  • There is uncertainty of who will be sold on this month.
  • The team sometimes appear to be content to try and sit back when leading rather than killing teams off.
  • The team sometimes appear to attack too hard unwilling tgo accept a draw is better than a defeat.
Tough yes but hopefully the team will come through and get started on another unbeaten run.:smile:

didint realise we'd only won 6 out of 12 at home. That is not promotion form but yet we are still in a great position so a few good home results and we can get back on track. Need to really go at teams from the start, too often we look sluggish from the start and have let our opponents dictate the game. Martin and Hall get them running at vales full backs, pinging balls into Benyon and Dicko and Im sure we will win. A great time to play Vale as their squad is very thin at the mo.

Ha ha if there is any friction between Peter Gilbert and Mohsni then Bilel stealing his place in the side isn't going to help matters!

But for what it's worth thats probably the XI I'd go with.

however mohsni as much as im still very annoyed at him would potentially make a better left back at least he can pass the ball :D

According to Chris Phillips Sawyer has a severe tear in his thigh and will be out for another four to six weeks.
must have missed that, cheers

This will be a tough game for Southend in my opinion for the following reasons.
  • Benyon and Martin have not been playing regularly and are new to the team and will take time to settle.
  • Harris was meant to be a top signing full of experience and given a long contract now appears to be consigned to the bench.
  • The Southend striker/s have not scored regularly as we struggle to deliver the ball consistently.
  • Mohsni the clown is still lurking in the background and presents the team and management with unwanted problems.
  • Morris will have lost confidence knowing that he is not Sturrocks preferred choice.
  • The Southend home supporters whinge and get on certain players backs rather than cheering the efforts.
  • Hall and Ferdinand are young lads who have not been rested enough to tackle a full season.
  • Grant is used as a holding player when he would be better striding forward in an attacking role.
  • Teams have sussed out our limited style of play.
  • There is uncertainty of who will be sold on this month.
  • The team sometimes appear to be content to try and sit back when leading rather than killing teams off.
  • The team sometimes appear to attack too hard unwilling tgo accept a draw is better than a defeat.
Tough yes but hopefully the team will come through and get started on another unbeaten run.:smile:

blimey, 12 negative points
I have to say, with respect, that these sort of posts are hardly inspiring and read somewhat depressively - why don't you stop and think about the fact that we are currently sitting in the top 3, game in hand, new signings ready to help us win promotion to L1 and despite playing badly we have turned a corner with our results (albeit Daggers game was a blip!) lets get behind the boys and like you say lets get started on another unbeaten run

Tomorrow in theory we're playing our game in hand as we're the only side in the top 7 playing a league game due to the FA Cup. So it's a massive chance for us to make up some ground on Cheltenham and Crawley.

My team would be as follows.

Morris

Clohessy Phillips Barker Prosser

Hall Grant Timlin Martin

Dickinson Benyon

Subs: Bentley, Harris, Mohsni, Kalala, Ferdiand.

I would love to see Bilel back in the side as I feel our games have been so boring without him, he adds the spark.

But for at least the next month I would keep him out of the spotlight and just use him as an impact sub if needed.

Big game this as we could do with a home win and with the rest of the top 7 in the FA Cup, a chance to gain some ground on them (the advantages of not playing Liverpool...). I think we'll win, Port Vale have a lot of injuries and some loan players have returned to their parent clubs so they have a thin squad and I gather they'll have to fill the bench with some youth players. Sturrock should've given them a kick up the bum after Monday's sluggish performance and the new signings will have lifted the place. Don't think many of the part-timers who came on Monday will be back, though. I'm predicting a 2-0 win in front of about 5,000. My line-up would be:

Morris
Clohessy - Phillips - Barker - Prosser
Hall - Timlin - Grant - Martin
Dickinson - Benyon

Subs: Bentley, Mohsni (if fit, Gilbert if not), Ferdinand, Kalala, Harris

Now that looks like a damn good team at this level, and with players who can come off the bench and influence the game. Excited about seeing Martin make his debut and having 2 proper wingers down the wings. Just hope we use them and give Benyon the ball at his feet. Feeling good about this one...

One thing I can tell you about tomorrow is we have a very strong looking bench......

Back