• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Wycombe Wanderers - Saturday 13 April 2019

Team choice plus win / lose / draw

• Nathan Bishop

Votes: 105 71.4%
  • Mark Oxley

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 128 87.1%
  • Harry Lennon

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • John White

Votes: 54 36.7%
  • Rob Kiernan

Votes: 124 84.4%
  • Sam Hart

• Taylor Moore

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 82 55.8%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 79 53.7%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 78 53.1%
  • Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Simon Cox

• Stephen Humphrys

Votes: 111 75.5%
  • Charlie Kelman

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • __________

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Win

Votes: 90 61.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
Really nervous about this one. Week after week, I read fans' views of Wycombe and how awful their tactics are. They seem to like time wasting, diving and feigning injury. I really hope we don't get sucked into it and the ref is strong with them.

I'm also nervous of their long ball tactic. Fleetwood resorted to this more in the 2nd half and we struggled. I'm not even going to go into detail about Akinfenwa!

I'm just hoping we have a bit too much for them and Cox can carry us over the line.

One thing is for sure, the team needs the fans more than ever. East stand; if you hear people shouting abuse, drown them out with positivity. West stand/W block; let's keep the songs and chants going for as long and as loud as possible. I'm sure South stand will join in too.

Come on, let's all step up!

UTB!

Apologies if I’m missing something but if we draw both teams could remain outside the bottom four. Unless you mean ‘could’ rather than ‘will’ (can you tell I’m a sub editor?).

If we put in a similar performance to that against Fleetwood we ought to win but obviously we’ll have to adjust our tactics with it being a home game.

Having said that, Akinfenwa nearly always scores against us so we’ll have to be prepared for a real battle defensively.

I’m on a flight during the game so it will be nerves galore for me up in the sky.

Someone needs to be nominated to manage him..speed not necessary, bulk and height mandatory...your bids please...

I'd start with Acquah up front with Cox....bringing on Humphrys after 60 mins to continue the attack.

I don't believe this is a game to sit back and invite Wycombe forward....dangerous policy if adopted by KB :Worthy:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ky-bet-championship-league-one-and-league-two
Nice to see the Sky pundits all believe we are relegation certs. I still believes that we will be safe and WE WILL get the 3 points on Saturday. The bad run has to an end sometime and I believe it will be Saturday!!! COYB
Whilst they all included us in their predictions they also all said (aside from Higginbotham) that's it pretty much impossible to predict who apart from Bradford is getting relegated, so they don't see us as dead certs to go down.

I'd start with Acquah up front with Cox....bringing on Humphrys after 60 mins to continue the attack.

I don't believe this is a game to sit back and invite Wycombe forward....dangerous policy if adopted by KB :Worthy:
Not exactly sure what Bunn's done to be dropped? Especially if not being dropped for Humphrys (who probably isn't yet ready to start).

A benefit of Bunn and Cox together at the weekend was that we kept the ball down on the deck as much as possible, and were better for that.

Okay to be bookies favourites for relegation - in an odd sort of way it takes the pressure off. Now we just need everyone to stand together for the next 5 cup finals and prove the pundits wrong!!

Really nervous about this one. Week after week, I read fans' views of Wycombe and how awful their tactics are. They seem to like time wasting, diving and feigning injury. I really hope we don't get sucked into it and the ref is strong with them.

I'm also nervous of their long ball tactic. Fleetwood resorted to this more in the 2nd half and we struggled. I'm not even going to go into detail about Akinfenwa!

I'm just hoping we have a bit too much for them and Cox can carry us over the line.

One thing is for sure, the team needs the fans more than ever. East stand; if you hear people shouting abuse, drown them out with positivity. West stand/W block; let's keep the songs and chants going for as long and as loud as possible. I'm sure South stand will join in too.

Come on, let's all step up!

UTB!

Oh dear god I forgot they had Akinfenwa!

He always scores against us.

Oh dear god I forgot they had Akinfenwa!

He always scores against us.

He only starts every other game now and didn't start Saturday so should start tonight unless they are saving him.

I reckon it will be the same side unless McLaughlin is fit and Bunn isn't.
We need a bit of continuity in selection and shape to get through this.

Someone needs to be nominated to manage him..speed not necessary, bulk and height mandatory...your bids please...
In all seriousness, Akinfenwa has a horrifyingly prolific goal scoring record against us, whether for Swansea, Gillingham, Northampton or Wycombe, to the extent that I can’t remember a specific game where he didn’t score against us.

Such a shame we never saw him in a Blues shirt as I know we were after him at one point. When Dorian Dervite was with us Akinfenwa is the only player I saw who gave him a real problem.

It's a bit of a trek down from Birmingham, but my young son and I cannot miss this one!! Really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Just noticed on the EFl website that no referee has been decided for this game.Good news it won't be Trevor Kettle as he is the 4th official at the Villa game

In all seriousness, Akinfenwa has a horrifyingly prolific goal scoring record against us, whether for Swansea, Gillingham, Northampton or Wycombe, to the extent that I can’t remember a specific game where he didn’t score against us.

Such a shame we never saw him in a Blues shirt as I know we were after him at one point. When Dorian Dervite was with us Akinfenwa is the only player I saw who gave him a real problem.
If my memory serves correctly he was playing against us for AFC Wimbledon quite recently and didn't score nor get too much of a sniff in that one.

Akinfenwa is coming up 37 now, 6 goals in 31 games. His time has passed, would be surprised if he causes us any problems on Saturday.

We will win, Kevin Bond will keep us up!

(Repeat after me...)

We will win, Kevin Bond will keep us up!

Roots Hall will be rocking come Saturday, its as much our job as it is the players to get us out of this mess. Lets do this for the lads!

Really nervous about this one. Week after week, I read fans' views of Wycombe and how awful their tactics are. They seem to like time wasting, diving and feigning injury.

UTB!

Cannot for the life of me understand why they (allegedly ) do that, as they have lost their last 5 games??. So what has it gained them?.

Back