• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United vs Burton Albion 22 February 2020 3:00pm

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They did. Rush scored 23 goals in 32 games last season and Kelman scored 19 in 23. In 25 U18 matches where they both played, they scored 38 goals between them, plus 4 in 1 U23 match. They also played up front together at school, even though Charlie is a year younger than Matt.

Of course, League One is a step or two up in terms of quality, but I’d certainly like the partnership to be given more than 10 minutes at the end of a game as they do have a good understanding and have worked well together in the past.

I did think I remember they were prolific together, I hope Sol gives them a run out together. We’ve got absolutely nothing to lose.

Ok, some positive for you, from an unlikely source (me)
I think we will win Saturday.

I think with Shagnessey/ Harry K, the new centre half and attacking midfielder from Macca included from next week, we wont be in nearly as much poo as we have been over the last month or so................... I dont think we will see Humphires again I really dont, so we will be left with Kelman/Goodship/Rush and Aqua. But we will have wingers in Barrett and macca, maybe even demi too.. we will have enough defenders again and a better more attacking options in midfield, we may even be in a position to play hutchinson up front with Kelman?

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell hopes to have both Brandon Goodship and Jason Demetriou back for tomorrow’s clash with Burton Albion.

More...

JOE Shaughnessy will be looking to get one over his younger brother Conor when Southend United host Burton Albion tomorrow.

More...

With some of the players coming back now, and the Macc lads nearly signing we'll soon have an embarrassment of riches compared to the last few games - at least we will by the time of the Oxford game (I hope!).

For tomorrow, I would go with:

Gunnersaurus
(Sol's Arsenal connection pays off at last - big lad, short arms though!)

Shaughnessy Dieng Kyprianou

Elvis Demi Milligan Clifford

McLaughlin

Acquah Kelman

Subs: Seaden, Mitchell-Nelson, Mantom, Barratt, Goodship, Egbri, Rush​

If Sol thinks shaughnessy is fit then he has to be playing with dieng imo.

I do worry that Milligan is going to find three games in 8 days a struggle—- but at the same time he has been great the last few matches and we really need him. So maybe play him for 60 mins and then take him off when we are 2-0 up and bring on Hutchinson and push for 3-0

With some of the players coming back now, and the Macc lads nearly signing we'll soon have an embarrassment of riches compared to the last few games - at least we will by the time of the Oxford game (I hope!).

Gunnersaurus

McLaughlin

Acquah Kelman

No no no, I do not want to see a back 5 at home to Burton (or anyone for that matter) and before you say it's a back 3, no it isn't, never is, always ends up with our wing backs getting isolated!!

I’d go with this tomorrow (3-4-3):

Gunnarsson or Seaden

McLaughlin Kelman Goodship

Subs: Gunnarsson or Seaden, Mitchell-Nelson, Mantom, Barratt, Acquah, Egbri, Rush

Gunnersaurus

McLaughlin

Acquah Kelman

We keep producing a stream of talented young keepers think Bentley,Smith,Bishop,Seaden,Taylor to name only the ones we’ve had to pitch into the first team,but goalkeepers don’t usually become reliable enough till they’re nearer 30 than 20 eg Ox,Paul Smith in recent years for us.So then I hear Campbell’s been striving to bring in a reliable emergency signing and comes up with.......a 19 year old!!!

5,156 sold up to now, hopefully we will get close to 6,000 on the day, can’t see Burton bringing more than 350 at tops.

Icelandic chap
Elvis Shaughnessey Dieng Clifford
Macca Mantom Demi Barratt
Kelman Acquah

Bit more experience at the back and at the middle. Got to drop Egbri imo, if we do make sure there’s a dummy in his mouth... he’s too small for this league basically.
Acquahs strong so yeah.

-------------------------magnusmagnussonsson----------------
elvis-----------shaunessy-----------dieng--------------kyprianou
mclaughlin-----------mantom-------milligan------------clifford
-------------------------rush-------kelman----------------------

barratt, goodship, demetriou , hutchinson, mitchell-nelson, klass, seadon

I'll be very miffed if Mitchell-Nelson isnt playing centre back and Shaughnessy takes his place. We arent that desperate surely that we have to substitute true class for experience ?
For me, midfield is the burning issue at home where we need to be linking the strikers better and getting the ball into them in danger areas. We have nothing out wide that can beat the man and swing in those crosses at the moment. If you're going to put experience anywhere, we need to supply our strikers with the ball.

Sol's team selection usually contains at least one surprise - perhaps that will be a start for Hutch on Saturday ?

To start him probably he would want to go 352 allowing him to play in the 10 role. Shaunessy and Kyps coming back probably allows this so may well be the ‘surprise’

Time for Emile Acquah to emerge as our attacking saviour...
Heard from a reliable source that he is not in Sol’s good books at the moment.

I also heard that what Sol has placed a very strict regime in place and his rules are never challenged and any player that doesn’t show respect or behave in an acceptable manner is on the sidelines.

Could be that same issue for Hutchinson.

Think the team needed this, as a lot of them have got away with murder for far too long.

Heard from a reliable source that he is not in Sol’s good books at the moment.

I also heard that what Sol has placed a very strict regime in place and his rules are never challenged and any player that doesn’t show respect or behave in an acceptable manner is on the sidelines.

Could be that same issue for Hutchinson.

Think the team needed this, as a lot of them have got away with murder for far too long.
Hope your source is correct on the strict, respect regime we deserve it from players after the last few years.

Gary Jones, who played for us up front 93 to 96 in our championship years, is the SUEPA guest today.

And yes, have asked him to bring his boots.

He says that on his last visit to Roots Hall when he was playing for Hartlepool someone threw a toilet roll at him!

Back