• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United vs Fleetwood Town

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the fifth League One home game of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our fifth match at home is against Fleetwood Town.

SkyBet League One.jpg

SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Chris Powell's 5th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2018/19 season

Dns0UYTXsAESDM5.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 22nd September against Fleetwood Town. Feeling a bit nippy today compared to recent matches, it is overcast and we could have some rain during the game.
Dnsi1rUXoAA9L6Q.jpg

Dnsi1rRW0AAkHNW.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFC v Fleetwood Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current League home record

Won 7
Drawn 1
Lost 4
Goals scored 26
Goals conceded 15

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18 Season) Southend United
14th (2017/18 Season) Fleetwood Town

League Positions Current Season

8th (2018/19 Season) Fleetwood Town
18th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Fleetwood Positions.png

Previous Five Meetings

Southend United 1-2 Fleetwood Town (L1 13/01/18 Att. 6,489)
Fleetwood Town 2-4 Southend United (L1 23/09/17 Att.2,874)
Fleetwood Town 1-1 Southend United (L1 28/01/17 Att. 2,675)
Southend United 0-2 Fleetwood Town (L1 27/08/16 Att. 5,507)
Southend United 2-2 Fleetwood Town (L1 9/04/16 Att. 6,644)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 2
Draws: 6
Fleetwood Town Wins: 2

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Peterborough United

Joey Barton Fleetwood Town Manager talks to the press

Barton is ready to pit his wits against Southend counterpart Chris Powell, who he has faced many times on the pitch.

He added: “Chris had a fantastic career and played well past his sell-by date as many footballers do, which is testament to his level of professionalism.

“He was capped a few times by England and was part of that really good era at Charlton, when they overachieved under Alan Curbishley.

“I always remember him being a good, solid competitor and that is what his team will be on Saturday “Most teams after a period of time end up reflecting a manager’s personality.

“That’s mainly because if you are bringing players to your football club you need to see something in them that you relate to, something you like about them. “I always think after three or four transfer windows a team does start to represent a manager. “Chris has had a very good career as a manager.

At Huddersfield he did particularly well and (Town coach) Steve Eyre knows him from there because he was on their coaching staff. “Chris was a great pro and we have a difficult task on our hands because of the start they have made.”

Ash Hunter (Fleetwood Centre Forward) talks ahead of Fleetwood Town’s trip to Roots Hall.

Town are looking to extend their unbeaten streak to eight in Sky Bet League One, with five of those coming away from home, this Saturday in Essex. Hunter is also looking to carry on his run of form, as he has managed to grab seven assists already this season.

“Hopefully we come back with all three points. Obviously, it will be a tough game but if we show how we have played in the last seven games, we should come away with the win.

“Away from home, we’ve found it a lot easier, maybe because of the bigger pitches allowing up to pass the ball around.

“Last year, we went there and won 2-1, so hopefully with a better squad this season, we should go there again and get another three points.”

“It’s been a good start to the season, with only one loss and unbeaten in seven, we are looking to carry this form over to the next game away at Southend. Personally, I think it’s been a very good start.

“The whole team works for each other; the gaffer fills us with confidence and I’d put it down to that. When you’ve got a manager that’s licensing you to make mistakes, that as long as you make a mistake you react to it positively, you can try anything and at the minute, it’s coming off.

“We’ve got good team spirit you know, everyone is always making jokes. It’s got the best mix of lads in the squad, some serious and some that like to have a laugh, which works really well for us. Training is always serious but also a lot of fun at the same time.”

“We’ve got a lot of quality around the squad, especially in the attacking department. We’ve got Chris Long, Conor McAleny, Paddy Madden, Ched Evans, Kyle Dempsey, Wes Burns and still a number of options. If one isn’t playing, we have another one with the same quality to back them up.”

“We’ve been working on getting back and helping out the players at the back and working on my left-foot crossing. I’ve been put on the set-pieces as well recently, which will help get some assists.

“I’m doing a lot more for the team this season, helping out defensively, and that hard work is obviously being rewarded up at the other end. I’m fit enough to get up and down the pitch, and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help the lads.

“I’ve shown in the last season, or two, that I can play the full 90, and that I’m not just a 30-40 minute player. I’m enjoying getting up-and-down for the team, and we are seven unbeaten, so we must be doing something right.”

Southend United

Chis Powell about the forth coming game with Fleetwood Town

Southend Manager Chris Powell is expecting a response from his team on Saturday against Fleetwood Town.

The 2-0 defeat at Shrewsbury Town last weekend was Blues’ third in succession in Sky Bet League One.

But Powell has every confidence in his team to bounce back from their recent results.

“When you don’t win games, of course confidence ebbs away,” said Powell.

“Ultimately when you win games you’re a lot happier in yourself and you think things are sometimes going better than what they are. As I’ve always said, I’m looking for a response and a reaction from the boys.

“We’ve stripped down the week. We’ve really stripped it down, in regard to our thought process and trying to clear their minds as much as I can.

“They’re a terrific bunch. They’re all hurt and all wondering ‘is it me, can I do better?’ You just try and free them up and get them ready for 3 o’clock on Saturday.

“You try and control what you can, and certain things you can’t control so you have to prepare them for what lies ahead.

“We’re playing against a side that only lost their first game, have drawn a few and picked up some good wins.

“As I said to the players last Saturday straight after the game, let alone this week, whatever happens the eleven that are there when that whistle blows at 3 o’clock, you have to be ready.

“You have to put all negative thoughts to one side because we have to win a football match. These are the crucial times you have to stick together and be as one and eventually I have full trust in the boys they will get through it and get a result."

Powell: "We need to give them more and I’m under no illusions about that."

Chris Powell says he’s under no illusions that his side must give the Southend faithful more to cheer about.

Blues will want to bring an end to their three-game losing streak in League One against Joey Barton’s Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

And Powell says the supporters will be crucial in their bid to add to their points tally.

“They’re always important,” said Powell. “To me coming back here as manager they’re vitally important.

“They were terrific last year, and I think they’ve been terrific this year, but we just haven’t given them enough. We need to give them more and I’m under no illusions about that.

“We’ve lost three games at home and only won the one, and that’s not right. They come to see us at Roots Hall and we want to give the supporters an exciting time.

“In some respect we have but we’ve been on the wrong side of it. There have been plenty of goals, but we’ve been on the wrong side of it and I don’t like that.

“They’re important that they stay with us, support the young players but equally we’ve got to give them something to shout about and be proud of.

“We know the two home games were close, but they didn’t go our way and I’m realistic that we have to give the supporters something.”

The Cod Army installed a new manager ahead of the new season, that of 36-year-old former Premier League midfielder for Newcastle, QPR and Burnley, among others, Joey Barton.

And Powell is pleased to see Barton take the step into management.

“I’ve met Joey numerous times and regardless of who you are and what level you go into, whether you’re Frank Lampard, who has gone to a good club and a club I know, whether you go to Fleetwood or whether you have a lower club, you want a solid start.

“You want to learn quickly in how you deal with players and staff and stakeholders and all these things that nothing prepares you for.

“He’s done ok and I think results always help. The true test is when things don’t go your way, how you react, how you man-manage your group, how you pick them up, how you pick yourself up. He hasn’t gone through too much of that, although after his first game he must have thought what’s going on here, but since then they've been alright.

“I know he’s got good people around him, one coach I know really well Steve Eyre. He’s a terrific coach and I’m sure he’s very happy and will be looking to build on his start.”

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Interesting choices. I'm not sure how that bunch will line up. A chance for Theo to practice his close control game.

Looks like 3-5-2 to me with Cox behind Robinson and Hopper.

Reeks of desperation with this selection. Let’s hope the gamble pays off.

I like that CP is trying something different, I think Coxy will have a positive affect on the game in the #10 role. The lad isn’t scoring but he is still creating chances for others. Only negative is Robinson ahead of McCoulsky again. It can’t be doing anything for the young lads confidence being constantly overlooked for a donkey who offers nothing outside the 6 yard box. That donkey will now score a hattrick and I’ll claim the assist thank you very much.

I like that CP is trying something different, I think Coxy will have a positive affect on the game in the #10 role. The lad isn’t scoring but he is still creating chances for others. Only negative is Robinson ahead of McCoulsky again. It can’t be doing anything for the young lads confidence being constantly overlooked for a donkey who offers nothing outside the 6 yard box. That donkey will now score a hattrick and I’ll claim the assist thank you very much.

Don’t really care about a loanies confidence level tbh

Big risk, but something needed to change as CP had been smashing his head against brick wall last few weeks...

I quite like it, most have been saying Cox won't score many, so we have two forwards on the pitch, and Cox linking behind them. We also have 2 wingbacks to help out the midfield and also get forward and 3 centre backs, It will be interesting to see how in pans out today.

Back