• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agent Lomas

Manager
31/01/2014 - Newport County (H)
Edinburgh Returns

Friday night sees ex-Blues player Justin Edinburgh bring his Newport side to the seaside for their first visit to Roots Hall since 1985, when we lost 1-0 in the FA Cup 1st Round. We first played Newport on Christmas Day in 1920, when we drew 1-1 in Wales. Newport currently sit 8th in League 2, 11 points off top, 7 points behind us in 7th and 16 points off the bottom.

Earlier in the season we slumped to a disappointing 3-1 defeat in South Wales, with Ben Coker scoring arguably our goal of the season so far.

Newport's Last 5 Results:

Plymouth Argyle (H) - Being played tomorrow, score will be inserted here at Full Time.
Bristol Rovers (A) - L 3-1 - Howe
Accrington Stanley (A) - D 3-3 - Wilmott, Burge, Minshull
Northampton (H) - L 1-2 - Worley
Burton Albion (A) - L 1-0

Last 6:

L-D-L-L-W-W

Out of 11 away games they have played this season, Newport have:

Won: 3
Drawn: 7
Lost: 5

Fact

Newport have won 40% of their league matches this season, drawing 32% and losing 28%.

How the teams lined up (Last Meeting):

Southend United: Bentley, Prosser, Auger, Kiernan, Coker, Clifford (Payne '56), Atkinson, Leonard, Hurst (Timlin '56), Woodrow (Reid '68), Corr

Subs Not Used: Smith, Straker, Edwards, Njie

Newport County: Pidgeley, Jackson, Naylor, Chapman, James (Hughes '25 ((Pipe '56)) ), Minshull, Jones, Willmott, Yakubu, Zebroski (Crow '80), Washington

Subs Not Used: Stephens, Redman, Flynn, Jolley

How the teams lined up in both their last league games:

Southend United: Bentley, O'Neill (Thompson '44), Coker, Leonard, Phillips, Prosser, Atkinson, Timlin (Eastwood '80), Corr, Hurst, Straker (Woodrow '74)

Subs Not Used: Smith, Laird, Clifford, Payne

Newport: Pidgeley, Jackson, Sandell (Hughes - 81'), Burge, Worley, Naylor, Pipe, Minshull (Porter - 85'), Howe, Jolley, Willmott​

Subs Not Used: James, Flynn, Stephens

Newport's Likely Line Up:

Lenny Pidgeley

Former Clubs: Chelsea, Watford (Loan), Millwall (Loan), Millwall, Woking (Loan), Carlisle, Woking, Bradford, Exeter

CAREER GOALS: 0

Ryan Jackson

Former Clubs: AFC Wimbledon, Cambridge, Fleetwood, Macclesfield

CAREER GOALS: 5

Ryan Burge

Former Clubs: Barnet, Worcester, Oxford, Doncaster, Port Vale

CAREER GOALS: 4

Tony James

Former Clubs: Lincoln, Leicester, Hereford, Plymouth, Weymouth, Burton

CAREER GOALS: 8

Harry Worley

Former Clubs: Doncaster, Leicester, Carlisle, Chelsea, Luton, Crewe, Oxford

CAREER GOALS: 6

Lee Minshull

Former Clubs: Tonbridge Angels, AFC Wimbledon

CAREER GOALS: 11

David Pipe

Former Clubs: Coventry, Notts County, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham

CAREER GOALS: 9

Robbie Willmott

Former Clubs: Cambridge United, Luton Town

CAREER GOALS: 38

Tom Naylor

Former Clubs: Mansfield, Alfreton, Derby County, Grimsby, Bradford

CAREER GOALS: 3

Rene Howe
Former Clubs: Bedford Town, Kettering, Rochdale, Peterborough, Morecambe, Gillingham, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers, Rushden & Diamonds, Torquay United, Burton Albion

CAREER GOALS: 66

Christian Jolley

Former Clubs: Kingstonian, AFC Wimbledon

CAREER GOALS: 36

This is a winnable game, just like any other. Newport's away form has been mixed so lets hope we can take advantage of that.

Players To Watch:

Lenny Pidgeley
David Pipe
Rene Howe

UTB!!

ALL DATA IS CORRECT AS OF 27/01/2014 AND WILL BE UPDATED AFTER TOMORROW'S MATCHES

Can we get Daggers done and won first please??!! You have far too much enthusiasm!

I dont have much time over the next few days! Sorry for the early-ness of this guys!

I think a general rule would be not to bother with these threads until our next game is done and dusted. No-one's really thinking about Newport yet.

I dont have much time over the next few days! Sorry for the early-ness of this guys!

Fine by me. I have been thinking of going to the away match at Mansfield but not done any planning yet so I would appreciate an early pre-match thread to wet my appetite and ensure I get my rail tickets booked well in advance. :thumbsup:

So what's happened to young Washington-the striker lots of people were raving about a short while ago who scored a worldie against us at their place? CORRECTION-tapped it into the empty net when Bentley rushed 30 yards off his line for no obvious reason and missed the ball completely!

So what's happened to young Washington-the striker lots of people were raving about a short while ago who scored a worldie against us at their place? CORRECTION-tapped it into the empty net when Bentley rushed 30 yards off his line for no obvious reason and missed the ball completely!

Probably on his way to Peterborough.

the forecast is for a load of rain between now and then, and the current forecast for Friday evening on the BBC site is awful - 26 mph gale and heavy rain....might be moving further back in the West Stand!

Newport's home game tonight v Plymouth is off due to a waterlogged pitch. That will be them a little fresher for Friday.

Newport's home game tonight v Plymouth is off due to a waterlogged pitch. That will be them a little fresher for Friday.

Doesnt always work in their favour. When you hear players talk they would always prefer to play, playing matches is better for match fitness than not, especially when you are winning and playing well.

Think the good thing is that even if Newport start to find their form again , the number of games they've had called off ( haven't checked but I assume it's mainly their home games ) means they'll be playing catch up and have a lot of games to play towards the end of the season.

Doesnt always work in their favour. When you hear players talk they would always prefer to play, playing matches is better for match fitness than not, especially when you are winning and playing well.

Id be far happier playing them on Friday not having played today.

Washington has now signed for Peterborough.

think i would like this one called off, players looking really tired at Daggers, a break would do them good. The weather forecast looks as though an OFF could be a good chance too.

think i would like this one called off, players looking really tired at Daggers, a break would do them good. The weather forecast looks as though an OFF could be a good chance too.
I was thinking just this. My garden is starting to get surface water (a few hundred yards from The Hall) so our pitch is possible likewise deluged. The players seem tired and they haven't had any real squad training days between games so if the game is off then it might be an alright thing. And any floating fans have spent a few times so a delay might get more through the turnstiles for another date.

I was thinking just this. My garden is starting to get surface water (a few hundred yards from The Hall) so our pitch is possible likewise deluged. The players seem tired and they haven't had any real squad training days between games so if the game is off then it might be an alright thing. And any FLOATING FANS have spent a few times so a delay might get more through the turnstiles for another date.

Surely not that bad:stunned:

This is now vital we pick up 3 points. I'm confident as Newport have had a dip in form, lost one of their best players who gave us a torrid time at their place and we've been playing very well at home of late.

I think Brown will freshen things up for this one, seemed confident on the radio last night that White will be fit for this one.

Bentley

White Thompson Prosser Coker

Clifford Leonard Timlin

Barnard... ....................Straker

Eastwood​

Last edited:
Back