• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley
White - Thompson - Prosser - Coker
Hurst - Laird - Clifford - Atkinson
Barnard - Eastwood

Subs: Smith - Phillips - O'Neil - Leonard - Timlin - Straker - Corr​

Last edited:
I wonder if he will rest Timlin and bring in Laird and also bring in Eastwood for Straker for the first half at least and then bring straker or Hurst in for the second half........and what about this Mystery man that he had hanging round the club like a stalker....is it Gomez I wonder when we will see him playing a part

This is now vital we pick up 3 points. I'm confident as Newport have had a dip in form, lost one of their best players who gave us a torrid time at their place and we've been playing very well at home of late.

I think Brown will freshen things up for this one, seemed confident on the radio last night that White will be fit for this one.

Bentley

White Thompson Prosser Coker

Clifford Leonard Timlin

Barnard... ....................Straker

Woodrow​

This team but I'd swap Barney and Woodrow over. I've seen enough in Woodrow to think he can do a job from a wider position and Barney is definitely the more clinical in front of goal.

I'm hoping either White or O'Neill will be fit enough to come in at RB so Thompson can go in the middle of defence. I'm also fed up to the back teeth with having only a single solitary striker at home games, whatever PB thinks is supposed to be happening with Straker and Hurst.

This is the team I would select for Friday:

Bentley
White/O'Neill, Thompson, Prosser, Coker
Hurst, Clifford, Leonard, Timlin
Woodrow, Barnard

Another option if both O'Neill and White are fit is playing White at centre back

It's a real difficult one with Barnard.
By his own admission , he will need a few games to get match sharpness.
But with the League so tight and all the top seven wanting to keep the pressure on , can we afford to 'carry' ( maybe not the right word , but you know what I mean ) someone until they get sharp ?
For that reason alone , I can't see Brown starting with him just yet , despite BBBC probably in need of a rest.

It's a real difficult one with Barnard.
By his own admission , he will need a few games to get match sharpness.
But with the League so tight and all the top seven wanting to keep the pressure on , can we afford to 'carry' ( maybe not the right word , but you know what I mean ) someone until they get sharp ?
For that reason alone , I can't see Brown starting with him just yet , despite BBBC probably in need of a rest.

Can't really see the issue ......... whether the player starts and has 60 minutes or has 30 minutes at the end. Either way we have substitutes and options to allow players to rotate. Why not start with Barnard, tell him he has at least 45 minutes and also tell Freddy that he will get either 45 minutes or the last half hour. That way Barney can run like feck and be fully used.

For me a bigger problem is having a striker come on with 5 minutes left. Unless they get lucky, it really gives very little time for a player to get into the game and to make a difference - let alone get more match fit.

Think a few people might have to change their line ups after the news of Woodrow going back to Fulham.

Can't really see the issue ......... whether the player starts and has 60 minutes or has 30 minutes at the end. Either way we have substitutes and options to allow players to rotate. Why not start with Barnard, tell him he has at least 45 minutes and also tell Freddy that he will get either 45 minutes or the last half hour. That way Barney can run like feck and be fully used.

For me a bigger problem is having a striker come on with 5 minutes left. Unless they get lucky, it really gives very little time for a player to get into the game and to make a difference - let alone get more match fit.

But as long as we remain unbeaten in the League and the 4-3-3 is working ( with Corr as the focal point ) , why would Brown change it ?
And therefore how does Barnard get match fit ?

Bentley
White/O'Neill, Phillips, Prosser, Coker
Atkinson, Clifford, Leonard, Timlin
Freddy, Barnard

Yes - that's right. Change the style of the midfield and go two up front.

Corr, Hurst, Laird, Payne all on the bench and all capable of coming on and making a difference.

Hash tag: Hastheworldstoppedspinning

Bentley
Freddy, Barnard

Corr, Hurst, Laird, Payne all on the bench and all capable of coming on and making a difference.

Would go with this too. Corr, Atkinson and Hurst need a rest and Straker is still unconvincing, can't put him in the team just because 1 in every 5 games he does well and he is pretty much a passenger in the others.

Might even be tempted to rest Phillips for Thompson.

Bentley
O'Neill, Phillips, Prosser, Coker
Hurst, Laird (or Clifford or Timlin), Leonard, Atkinson
Freddy, Barnard

Can change to the 433 if not working bring Corr on and Timlin/Straker into the middle
We have to start using the squad or we will get injuries mounting by overplaying people

Would go with this too. Corr, Atkinson and Hurst need a rest and Straker is still unconvincing, can't put him in the team just because 1 in every 5 games he does well and he is pretty much a passenger in the others.

Might even be tempted to rest Phillips for Thompson.

I also would go with this!!

Bentley
Freddy, Barnard

This is a very viable option, and I did think that the game that PB made early half time subs could be the start of a trend but then he went back to the 80 plus norm: give Fred/Barney 45 minutes to show they are in the game and they are senior/smart enough to know when they are knackered so then sub them.

I've just had a listen to PB's post match talk last night and there were some comments made concerning next Friday's game. He was asked about how Barnard performed and if he would come into his thinking for Friday night. Interpreting his words, he indicated that two Saturday games were following and the time between them would enable us to find out all we need to know about Lee..........how he'll fit in with the other players etc. etc. From that I would imagine it extremely unlikely that he'll be handed a start..........with the news about Woodrow perhaps that will change.....there again perhaps he had that info already? Anyway, to paraphrase what he then briefly went on to say:-

"I'm not tinkering with systems and not tinkering with players. I'll be puting out me strongest team I can possibly put out on Friday and if that's everybody's round pegs and round holes and we take Newport on and get the three points, then it's a great point here tonight."

I think that means he may try and put out an unchanged side.......if they can still stand on their feet! If anyone else can offer a different interpretation ......or explain to me what he exactly means about round pegs and round holes, I'd be delighted.

or explain to me what he exactly means about round pegs and round holes, I'd be delighted.

I assume he means that if he has a natural right back available, they'll be playing there instead of Thomson. Also he'll stick to the natural wide players (Straker, Coker, Atkinson) rather than playing Freddy or Barney out wide.

Back