• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United withdraw from Essex Senior Cup

Do we need an unimportant match to be played at Roots Hall .
Especially with the pitch not holding up very well.
I thought we had a long run of home league games coming up.

We’ve withdrawn!

Full text from OS

After two previous postponements of this cup tie, the Club has taken the difficult decision to withdraw from the BBC Essex Senior Cup tie with Braintree Town due to fixture congestion.

In the last week we have had two matches postponed (adding to the game with Dorking Wanderers that is yet to be rearranged), and as such it is not possible to fulfil the fixture without potentially compromising our progress in the Vanarama National League and Isuzu FA Trophy, which is where our focus must be.

Additionally, our Academy also have a very busy schedule, including a fixture away to MK Dons due to take place tomorrow, as such, many of our under-18 players won’t be available to play.

In all the circumstances, and after much consideration, we have taken the difficult decision to withdraw from the competition. We would like to wish Braintree the best of luck in the next round against Colchester United, which is due to be played before 11 February.

As tinpot as this may seem on the surface, it’s the right decision.

Taking both the state of the pitch and squad depth/fitness into consideration, this was a game we didn’t need or want in reality. Without wanting to sound disrespectful towards the competition, we’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Right decision imho. As well as the fixture congestion and targeting progress in the NL and FA Trophy, the last thing we would need, being under the embargo would be picking up injuries depriving us of being as competitive as possible in those target competitions. If we pick up injuries, at least let's do it in chasing a more meaningful cause.

We can't even spare an U18 side, so taking all aspects into account, added to the cost of the tie for once makes us making a decision that makes sense and putting the club first, even at the expense of a possible fine, that would hopefully cost less than staging the tie in the first place.

We had a chance of spanking the inbreds from up the road, I feel some of the players needed this game to get their fitness back. But Eastleigh on Saturday is more important. #martinout

I’m surprised by this decision. I’m not fussed about the Essex Senior Cup but we have a number of players (Gus, Murphy, Clifford, Lomas, Collin? Hyde? Crowhurst etc who need minutes.

It’d have been relatively easy to call up a handful from the youths to supplement them. I know the youths have a game but we could call up schoolboys and triallists to replace them for the youth team match.

I presume it is therefore an issue with finding a ground. How much this is down to weather and how much down to the club having burnt too many bridges locally I don’t know.

The whole B team thing has gone very quiet though. I think we played Ipswich right at the start of the season and then Wycombe in September but since then I think we’ve only had an Essex Senior Cup match Brentwood in which to give fringe players minutes. The u23s wasn’t ideal but it seemed to have provide more opportunities for players to prove fitness or demonstrate they could make a step up. Have there been more training matches behind closed doors that just haven’t been reported?

Does anybody know when the tickets for York match in FA Trophy go on sale? Tried ringing ticket office no answer

Back