• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United's Michael Timlin: I know I can’t afford to get booked against Dagenha

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United midfielder Michael Timlin will be walking a disciplinary tight-rope in tonight’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy game against Dagenham and Redbridge at Roots Hall.

More...

If that is the way he feels. He should certainly be sitting it out tonight.

Sad state of affairs when this donkey is critical to the team.

MK, with all due respect, how many times have you seen Timlin play?

Last season, he was one of our most effective players and played a large part in a balanced midfield. This season, he's been rushed back from injury without anything resembling a pre-season and is falling victim to a completely unsettled and unbalanced midfield.

I like Timlin, he has admitted himself he hasnt been up to scratch mainly due to no pre-season. He covers a lot of ground and is a good passer of the ball, its only in the final third of the pitch where he isnt particularly effective. My worry is that tonights ref sounds quite card happy. Bear in mind he has had to cover for Spicers total lack of defensive nous and laziness in the games I have seen.

I like Timlin, he has admitted himself he hasnt been up to scratch mainly due to no pre-season. He covers a lot of ground and is a good passer of the ball, its only in the final third of the pitch where he isnt particularly effective. My worry is that tonights ref sounds quite card happy. Bear in mind he has had to cover for Spicers total lack of defensive nous and laziness in the games I have seen.

I like/liked Timlin and really want him to succeed. He was outstanding during his loan spell and I was convinced he'd become a key player. But since he's gone permanent his form has not reached the same levels and his passing has been woeful. If we had anyone else at the mo he'd probably be on the bench.

I like/liked Timlin and really want him to succeed. He was outstanding during his loan spell and I was convinced he'd become a key player. But since he's gone permanent his form has not reached the same levels and his passing has been woeful. If we had anyone else at the mo he'd probably be on the bench.

If we had anyone else, he'd have been allowed the time to build on his fitness and sharpness in training and the occasional stiffs game until such a time that he could work his way back into the line-up instead of being thrust into a midfield decimated by departures.

I rate Timlin but I disagree strongly with the comment 'he is a good passer of the ball'. This is his major weakness for me. His work rate is generally excellent and he doesn't give the opposition a moment's peace, but he can't pass water.

Pathetic comment. Awful opinion on this bloke by a few people.

Can't disagree more at all.

He's the best number 8 we've had for ages and ages.

Bearing in mind "number 8" is a squad number and not a position it is hard to make meaningful comparisons, but I'll grant you he's better than Alassane D'iaye. Before him was Craig Easton and before that, of course, Macca taking the number over from Maher. Timlin on his contract winning form was decent but lately we don't seem to be getting the consistency in his performances but I would not describe him as a donkey. Nor would I pick him for this match.

Yeah at least one pass in ten makes it.

Any idiot can play a 5 yard passand have a stat that says 100% pass completion , and let the next guy attemot the more difficulat pass and loose it . A lot of Timlin's passes are atempts at defence slpitting passes, so the sucessess rate is always going to be lower. This should be factored in to the argument when having a pop at him

Why ?
He scored a good goal against us , but only to the extent that he was allowed to run unchallenged.
Apart from that he didn't do much IMO.
I'm sure we had a chance to sign him ( pre-embargo ) but obviously didn't impress Sturrock.
In Luggy we trust

For what it's worth, I was told during the summer that we enquired about Holmes, but the fee Barnet were commanding was relatively astronomical.

As for Timlin's passing, I think he struggles slightly because his feet can't match what his brain sees. He's an excellent reader of the game and he's obviously had his education at a higher level of football, but he doesn't have the talent to thread the ball with the required precision. He needs to rein it in a bit.

Personally I like Timlin a lot. Think his work rate and winning the ball back make him important to the team. Its a sham ehe gives the ball away so much when trying Hollywood passes but I would pick him in my staritng XI all day long.

Think he needs to stay in his feet a bit more.

Bearing in mind "number 8" is a squad number and not a position it is hard to make meaningful comparisons, but I'll grant you he's better than Alassane D'iaye. Before him was Craig Easton and before that, of course, Macca taking the number over from Maher. Timlin on his contract winning form was decent but lately we don't seem to be getting the consistency in his performances but I would not describe him as a donkey. Nor would I pick him for this match.

Number 8 is definitely a position. Like number 9 is a position. Like number 10 is etc etc etc. Number 4 is known as a position.

He's the best we've got. He does a lot of work on the pitch. AND he can play. How people can't see that is incredible. He's a League 2/1 player. A CM or NUMBER 8, gets on the ball a lot, they get involved a lot, they get in people's faces, they commit fouls, they run a lot. More than any other player on the pitch. Because of this, because they are always involved it is more likely that they will misplace a pass or they will make a foul. Especially at this level.

What do people expect. It's incredible.

Back