• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Luton Town

What's your starting 11 for Saturday

• Nathan Bishop

Votes: 133 93.0%
  • Ted Smith

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Mark Oxley

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 135 94.4%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 125 87.4%
  • John White

Votes: 123 86.0%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 136 95.1%
  • Stephen Hendrie

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 137 95.8%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 104 72.7%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 133 93.0%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Sam Mantom

• Michael Kightly

• Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Bunn

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Simon Cox

• Stephen Humphrys

• Theo Robinson

• Charlie Kelman

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Amadou Ba

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Southend fans - say the highlights from the Bradford game - good goals, nice start for Humphries, you looked good but Bradford looked like they left empty acres of the pitch. We have let in nine in the last 17 league games so you will do well to break our excellent back line 4 times. If we keep up are present very solid form, our defense if very good, then well done. We were struggling with goals a little but four last week got things going again although it was against ten men. Probably a 1-2 or 2-1 - hopefully to the Hatters - see you there - we are decent - unbeaten in about 15 matches in League One and only two loses since August

Hi, although Bradford hadn't conceded a home goal since Nov apparently. We shall see which Southend turns up on the day..

Just looked at the stats for this game on Soccerstats.com

Luton Town have been undefeated in their last 15 matches.Luton Town have scored in 79% of their away matches. Luton Town have been undefeated in their last 7 away matches.Luton Town have scored in each of their last 5 away matches.

Blimey, this is going to be as tough as it gets! Hopefully we'll be buoyed by the performance at Bradford (who were also in good form) and a few more home tickets get sold before Saturday (currently only 5618, which is disappointing).

We're surely due a "Homer" of a ref. too for a change!

I trust we will give 35 year old Alan McCormack a nice warm Roots Hall welcome. He did play over 150 games for us and scored two goals in a vital win at Macclesfield on19th April 2005 after we had been a goal down.

He has started the last 4 League games for them but I reckon he may be benched as they've brought in Col U reject George Moncur.

He might have not been every one's cup of tea but in 2007/8 he was part of a formidable midfield with Nicky Bailey and Mark Gower -and he's still going!!

McCormack has been brilliant this season, very much doubt he will be dropped

I trust we will give 35 year old Alan McCormack a nice warm Roots Hall welcome. He did play over 150 games for us and scored two goals in a vital win at Macclesfield on19th April 2005 after we had been a goal down.

He has started the last 4 League games for them but I reckon he may be benched as they've brought in Col U reject George Moncur.

He might have not been every one's cup of tea but in 2007/8 he was part of a formidable midfield with Nicky Bailey and Mark Gower -and he's still going!!

OBL is sure to be preparing a very warm welcome for Alan Mc!

Just a quick note for those interested.

Drewe Broughton was due to attend on Saturday v Luton but this has now been put back one week to 2 Feb when we play The Gas.

Drewe will be in the club shop pre-match selling copies of his book and they'll be a chance to meet him after the match too in the Legends Lounge

We'll also get him on the pitch pre-kick-off in the usual SUEPA way

Publicity on it all will come next week on social media/club website

We've got oother SUEPA events on 16 Mar, 30 Mar and 22 April planned. The one on 30 Mar is shaping up to be something quite special, when I get things sorted a bit more I'll let you know details

Didnt know Macca was at Looton now. Anyway he's a ****ing legend I don't know how anyone could say otherwise, he played a huge part in one of the most successful periods of our history!

Just looked at the stats for this game on Soccerstats.com

Blimey, this is going to be as tough as it gets! Hopefully we'll be buoyed by the performance at Bradford (who were also in good form) and a few more home tickets get sold before Saturday (currently only 5618, which is disappointing).

We're surely due a "Homer" of a ref. too for a change!

5744 now and rising .... 2389 available :Thumbs up:

CHRIS Powell expects Luton Town to provide his Southend United side with a stern test at Roots Hall tomorrow, despite the loss of Nathan Jones as manager.

More...

SOUTHEND United striker Simon Cox is keen for the Shrimpers to prove their worth against high-flying Luton Town tomorrow.

More...

Luton will attack and have sufficient firepower to cause us problems. The only way to reduce their forward play is to take the game by the scruff of the neck and be on the front foot ourselves. We now, hopefully, have a strike force that can cause problems of its own and we need to fully utilise it. For me, our weakness is at the heart of defence, and we need to take as much pressure of them as possible. Attack, attack, attack.

Luton will attack and have sufficient firepower to cause us problems. The only way to reduce their forward play is to take the game by the scruff of the neck and be on the front foot ourselves. We now, hopefully, have a strike force that can cause problems of its own and we need to fully utilise it. For me, our weakness is at the heart of defence, and we need to take as much pressure of them as possible. Attack, attack, attack.
Exactly that, we are at our best when we play at a high tempo and attack teams at home, when we do that the opposition struggle to find a way to deal with us in the first 45 mins, unfortunately we rely on getting a lead in the first 45 as it’s too hard for us to do it for 90 mins so let’s go at Luton from the start.

Home sales now 5,943 plus Luton have sold 2,031.
Even allowing for the Ticket stats being a bit skewed I'd like to think that, with 'pay on the dayers', we can rustle up 6k. If that happens then there should be a decent atmosphere in the ground with the anticipation of seeing the new chaps and spanking Luton, that will do nicely. COYB

Back