• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Southampton U21s -Checkatrade Trophy

What's your choice for Wednesday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
....... results so far.

With all four teams on 3 points each and one game each to go, it's hardly awesome knowledge to realise that the two teams that come out on top next week (even by this penalty thing at the end) will go through !

So it is purley on wins then . (sorry, I'm not too sharp with this stuff LOL)

Do you select your best available eleven on paper or look at individual players form? Is the selection on sentiment or merit? Perhaps, with the young age of the opposition, we look to experience to combat it?

Kightly has experience but is he in our best eleven, is he on form, and would his selection be on merit? Not for my money. McClaughlin works hard but I cannot remember the last time things went well for him or when you could say he was on form.

Perhaps we persist with them in the hope something clicks into place and they show their best. Perhaps not.

Perhaps this would be a good game to put Robinson up top and fire the ball beyond him for him to run on to? probably but I doubt it will happen.

Its frustrating looking at the team currently. Sometimes the football is top notch but rarely for enough minutes of a game and end product is decidedly poor. Its almost as if we are waiting for the team to suddenly come good when it is just as possible that what we are seeing is as good as it gets.

We now have a cup replay to factor in, with a depleted squad, and I would most definitely look at blooding some of the young guns. If we go out of the trophy then we do. Shame but no great loss when we look at was is at stake. The league must be our priority and it already looks like a season trying to consolidate our current status. Unleash the yoofs and go for broke.

So it is purley on wins then . (sorry, I'm not too sharp with this stuff LOL)

No it's on points. 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and an extra point up for grabs with a penalty shoot out after all drawn matches.

No it's on points. 3 for a win, 1 for a draw and an extra point up for grabs with a penalty shoot out after all drawn matches.

:Worthy: Thank you. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I am a mere mortal in your company :Thumbs up::Thumbs up::Smile::Smile:

One of the advantages of the penalty shoot out is when a group goes into the last round of matches with everyone on 3 points

A bit of a left field idea here, but hear me out!

We have an 18-year old striker on loan at Harlow Town called Emile Acquah - now I've never seen him play, but I understand he's a big unit (6'3" I think, and well built).

I think he's probably the only striker at the club of this build, so I'd give him a go alongside Cox on Wednesday night to see how he looks playing with senior players. We've got little to lose and may unearth another gem like Dru in the process. Worth a gamble?

If not and we want some aerial presence up front, I'd be inclined to go for Taylor Moore - he's got good pace and reads the game well too. We need to do something!

Smith (only if fit enough same with Hyam)
Bwomono
Moore
Kyprianou
Hendrie
Klass
Yearwood
Hyam
Hutchinson
Mccoulsky
Wabo

Wouldn’t risk any of the main starting 11 apart from Yearwood and Moore after they had a rest on Saturday unless completely neccessary like Hendrie where there isn’t really anyone else to play there.

Don't forget the comp rules mean we have to play some players from yesterday

Don't forget the comp rules mean we have to play some players from yesterday

The competition rules have been relaxed so much it would almost be harder to pick a team that doesn't comply than one that does !

A bit of a left field idea here, but hear me out!

We have an 18-year old striker on loan at Harlow Town called Emile Acquah - now I've never seen him play, but I understand he's a big unit (6'3" I think, and well built).

I think he's probably the only striker at the club of this build, so I'd give him a go alongside Cox on Wednesday night to see how he looks playing with senior players. We've got little to lose and may unearth another gem like Dru in the process. Worth a gamble?

If not and we want some aerial presence up front, I'd be inclined to go for Taylor Moore - he's got good pace and reads the game well too. We need to do something!

Not sure he would be eligible. We can recall players from National League (incl South) for this competition.

5 isn't it. Does that include if they were on bench ?

Looks like it's four outfield players, Hypo. Here's the official rules :-

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

My pick would be;

Oxley
Elvis Moore White Hendrie
McLaughlin Yearwood Mantom Bunn
Wabo Cox

Subs: Smith, Kyprianou, Hyam, Klass, Hutchinson, Ba, McClousky

Wabo can learn a lot from Cox, and it’s a chance to see if he can cut it in the 1st team. I’ve also put JW in at the back as am sure he wants make amends for the OG on Saturday

Tempted to put Kelman in as a sub, but would expect Ba and McClousky to be ahead of him. Bit too soon too.

Looks like it's four outfield players, Hypo. Here's the official rules :-

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

7.4 Qualifying Player means any Player who:

7.4.1 had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);

7.4.2 subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;

7.4.3 is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or

7.4.5 is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

That's four players who meet any one of those five criteria.

Powell has already said Luke Hyam starts and he's made more than 40 starts so we just need another 3 players.

Dru isn't a qualifying player (although he will be so long as he starts the next league match).

That's four players who meet any one of those five criteria.

Powell has already said Luke Hyam starts and he's made more than 40 starts so we just need another 3 players.

Dru isn't a qualifying player (although he will be so long as he starts the next league match).

Right, let's do this systematically. We need 4 from the following list to start on Wednesday:

Those who started last Saturday
Demetriou
White
Turner
Hendrie
McLaughlin
Mantom
Dieng
Kightly
Cox
Robinson

Those with over 40 first team appearances
Hyam
Moore
Bunn

Those who stand a realistic chance of starting against Blackpool, not already named

Yearwood
McCoulsky

All our top 10 appearances this season are included above

My guess is that Hyam, Moore, Bunn, McCoulsky (who may not start next Saturday) and Hendrie will start, and the team will be:

Smith/Bishop

Bwomono Moore Kyprianou Hendrie

Hutchinson Hyam Klass Bunn

McCoulsky Wabo​

Last edited:
Right, let's do this systematically. We need 4 from the following list to start on Wednesday:

Those who started last Saturday
Demetriou
White
Turner
Hendrie
McLaughlin
Mantom
Dieng
Kightly
Cox
Robinson

Those with over 40 first team appearances
Hyam
Moore

Those who stand a realistic chance of starting against Blackpool, not already named

Yearwood
McCoulsky

All our top 10 appearances this season are included above

My guess is that Hyam, Moore, McLaughlin, McCoulsky (who may not start next Saturday) and Hendrie will start, and the team will be:

Smith/Bishop

Bwomono Moore Kyprianou Hendrie

McLaughlin Hyam Klass Hutchinson

McCoulsky Wabo​

I think Ba's ahead of Wabo in the pecking order.

I'd also expect Batlowka (who started the previous two Cheackatrade matches) and the now fit again Harry Phillips to be involved, but they may be more likely to be off the bench.

At the back I'd be more inclined to play White than Hendrie (with Kyprianou moving to LB).

Finally you've forgotten Harry Bunn who may be in line to start ahead of McLaughlin as he didn't Saturday.

Back