• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend v West Ham X1 23rd July

SOUTHEND United continued their pre-season preparations with a painful 5-1 defeat against West Ham United’s under 23 side tonight.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
West Ham fans will be acting like lords tonight in craft brewery tap rooms across the south East but in reality they have just beaten a Gola League team 3-1. Nothing to be proud of really.

Do we have the facility (like we do on Facebook) to stop me from seeing the postings (reactionary rantings) of an individual? I only want to do that personally...not the whole forum. But there is one individual that I am not bothered if I don't see another one of his postings? He is absolutely at perfect liberty to post on this public forum, I have no issue with that. It is the responsibility of the Mods. ....but do I really have to see them? I see there is an "ignore" option on his profile....is that what I hope it is?

Last edited:
Okay, hopefully PB knew what he was looking for and found out some truths on players he has not seen much of.
Not ready for 1st team is my viewing report on young Harry in goal or equally young Sayers at left back. Both culpable for poor position and decisions in a few goals.
Dunn and Ogogo looked okay for 30 minutes then faded fast.
The trialist on wing didn't persuade me he had anything better than what we have.
Walsh was entertaining and sharp, as was Rush and I liked look of Murphy.
The two trialist forwards seemed hard working and worth looking further at.
The game was upset by subs but that is a given.
Clifford was better LB, Fergie needs urgency and had little ball time with a mis shaped midfield. Kineli is a good prospect.
Mitchell Nelson is raw and has bulked out, athletically, since last year.
Eggers is Mr Energy and Effort.
There were a few others out there, nonentities in the main.

It is a good thing these games are coming along and showing the good,poor and mediocre.

Cheer up some folks, it is good just to be back at live football.

Charlie Sayers. Was on trial with the under 18s at the back end of last season and was signed this summer from Bowers & Pitsea.

Think he has played for the under 23s in pre-season and against Great Wakering in the second half.

He actually looked quite good

Coulson and Arnold are two massively experienced players missing, when fit they will make a big difference. Ralph hopefully at left back. Pretty clear we need a) more pace in the team, so Brown needs to ensure Akinola is fit and firing for the start of the season and b) A tall physical striker who can hold the ball up.

I was there from start to finish, reading some of the bollocks on here, I'm not sure everyone was that's posting on here. First half I though we looked competitive and a bit hungry for the ball. I'd love to tell you which players really impressed me, but truthfully without names on the back it's not easy. Murphy will be a handful for most defences this season when he is fully fit and I thought he and Rushy looked quite a useful partnership for the first 30 minutes. And for that 30 minutes we were more than a match for the baby Spammers. but as the half went on they started to find their players far quicker than we could close them down and speed and skill and finishing told.

Second half produced the most Southend subs that I have ever seen in a game and nearly the whole team was subbed out. And with that came a total ungluing of the midfield and defence and we paid the price. Yeah it was a high score but I'm sure that PB has a far better view of the trialists, some of whom looked a bit useful and some not. Once I can put names to faces I'll be able to offer a more decent view. But I'm a bit happier that the first half saw more effort and cohesion from the Blue shirts than I saw the whole of last season. I also think that Matt Rush, properly handled, can become a regular in Phil's thinking and a crowd favourite, as he worked his bollocks off the whole time on the pitch and caused the back line no end of trouble.

A few reflections from me from tonight:
Good to be back watching live football. Seaden might make a keeper one day but anyone thinking he is the answer now is wrong (imho). Back 4 in first half solid and thought Sayers did ok but will be replaced by Clifford or Ralph. Didn’t recognise Dunne from Tuesday’s descriptions. Battled for everything and looked on it. Ogogo far less so. Thought Louis Walsh was really disappointing but front two seemed to have good understanding. After the subs the quality went down seriously. Surprised trialist keeper wasn’t given a half. Big lad up top needs to do more convincing. Thought Deon might earn himself a deal. Mitchell- Nelson had a stinker.
Feel less optimistic after that but with a few new signings it might start to look up and it’s only one game.

Last edited:
Although it felt good to be back at Roots Hall, we wore masks to and from our seats but truthfully very few others did. Now I know that there is no requirement for anyone to do so now, but we both felt just a bit uneasy in the maskless mad scramble to get out but maybe it will feel easier next time, I do hope so.

Steam coming out of my eyes. We're going down, we're actually going down.

You can tell that from a friendly then?

It was a good for a bit of match fitness and for Brown to take a look at the triallists. Bear in mind West Ham have a very good development squad and whether it's the same team that lost to Ebdfleet is neither here nor there.

We are a month away from the start of the season and things will be very different by then. I hope for your sake it is anyway, judging by your posts on this thread you will have had a heart attack by December

Reactions: fbm
Dunne was on the money tonight, Ogogo not so much. Murphy had an okay cameo and linked up well with Rush.

Deon did alright and will justify a contract with another decent performance in a latter pre-season game when things begin to hot up.

Seaden looked overweight and struggled to command his box. Certainly not our first team goalkeeper yet and needs a loan out to boost his confidence.

Couldn't contain a beaming smile when I walked up those steps into the hallowed Hall again. It feels fantastic to be back in the ground.

is the keeper either Arnold or the trial keeper .ER no both have covid so phil brown is down to using to kid that was no good last season .Also we have one striker away with covid as well .So at present i wouldnt get to worked up .
Arnold was in the directors box and the trialist (Idem?) was on the bench

Back