• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southern Rail Unions

superblue24

Director
time to get them abolished, they are taking the ****!

the odd strike here and there when it is right to do so is acceptable in my opinion (although unions going on strike when the average Joe is not able to is an unfair privilege in my opinion) . What Southern workers are doing is a) ridiculous, b) setting a bad example to follow for other unions, and c) shooting the golden goose....

Livelihoods are being threatened here, like one of my team who we are close to letting go since he cannot get into work. Well done Southern workers, well done!

the odd strike here and there when it is right to do so is acceptable in my opinion (although unions going on strike when the average Joe is not able to is an unfair privilege in my opinion) . What Southern workers are doing is a) ridiculous, b) setting a bad example to follow for other unions, and c) shooting the golden goose....

Livelihoods are being threatened here, like one of my team who we are close to letting go since he cannot get into work. Well done Southern workers, well done!

The union leaders love being militant whilst of course trousering large wages....essential services should never be allowed to strike.

Ronald Reagan showed the way when confronted by ATC strikes.....he sacked them all and it worked wonders.

Sounds like he needs to unionise.

All strikes ought to be the LAST resort and not in any way politically motivated.
Do Southern Rail make a profit? how many jobs are at risk? how much does a driver get and how much does the CEO get paid?
If I believed the union would behave I would be more in favour of nationalising the Railways (as JC suggests) but....

The drivers aren't striking for money or to save there jobs. They are striking for safety reasons. They claim driver only trains were only agreed for 4 carriages but now it is going to be 12 carriages. I would think with over 1000 people on a train a guard would be essential for all sorts of safety reasons.

Graham Franklin who use to play for Southend seriously injured himself when he fell and got his foot trapped between the train and the platform. He was dragged along until the end of the platform as he had not been seen.

The annoying thing is its the government (tax payer) and not Southern Rail that lose money during these periods of industrial action so their management have no incentive to solve the dispute.

The drivers aren't striking for money or to save there jobs. They are striking for safety reasons. They claim driver only trains were only agreed for 4 carriages but now it is going to be 12 carriages. I would think with over 1000 people on a train a guard would be essential for all sorts of safety reasons.

Graham Franklin who use to play for Southend seriously injured himself when he fell and got his foot trapped between the train and the platform. He was dragged along until the end of the platform as he had not been seen.

The annoying thing is its the government (tax payer) and not Southern Rail that lose money during these periods of industrial action so their management have no incentive to solve the dispute.

Christ, I think I must of smacked my head earlier. A Rigsby post I can agree with, what a strange year 2016 is indeed. :stunned:

Southern Rail made a profit of £100M in 2016. I wonder how much they'll plough back into the railway?

I'm thinking **** all.

I agree with their morality of cause for the dispute and believe any train on busy and congested lines/stations ought to be double crewed. I would suggest Southern Rail look to H & S for a priority.
I do not accept that strike action should be taken except as a last resort.
And might a Guard (as opposed to a driver) not do a lot to ensure fare evasion was being dealt with?
The bottom line for private companies is the profit bottom line BUT public transport is too important to be left to profiteers IMO.

I just did a quick check and their CEO received £2.2 MILLION pay last year and profits up 27%.
Making a profit is good, paying a good boss good money is also good - ripping the arse out of the public is not good and that pay scale is SO wrong it is almost criminal/fraud.

It would be nice if all trains running at certain times had a guard on them. As someone who travels on late trains into Waterloo at weekends quite regularly for work, even for me it's nice to know they are there so it must be a nice reassurance for any elderly people or lone women out at that time especially with the number of drunk people that get those trains.

I don't know enough about the strike to comment on that, but guards on trains are a good idea in my opinion.

It would be nice if all trains running at certain times had a guard on them. As someone who travels on late trains into Waterloo at weekends quite regularly for work, even for me it's nice to know they are there so it must be a nice reassurance for any elderly people or lone women out at that time especially with the number of drunk people that get those trains.

I don't know enough about the strike to comment on that, but guards on trains are a good idea in my opinion.

The guard stays - that's not the issue - it's who closes the doors.

I use Southern Rail 5 days a week or more. They are the worst example of privatisation. We regularly have no trains on a normal day.

On others I get to Victoria and every single train is delayed and often when one is ready they will wait till it is full then announce it is skipping the first 6 stops so half the passengers get off and onto another delayed and over capacity train.

On Monday this week - the day before the first strike, at Victoria I sat on 3 different trains before one actually went to the places it was supposed to. The driver announced that there were plenty of drivers at Victoria waiting for permission to drive one of the trains that were waiting on the platforms. Southern were doing this to make the drivers seem worse and aid their 'no strike' court case.

Southern have no interest in running an acceptable service, just in making profit.

Sadiq Khan wants Southern to be run by TFL. All available feedback indicates the public who travel on those lines want the same.

Boris Johnson also wanted train lines to come under TFL and a 3 year old letter to him from Chris Grayling has emerged where Grayling says he agrees with that in principle but he is concerned that at some point in the future there may be a London Mayor and he didn't want Labour to be running train services.

That is an outrageous abuse of power. Thousands of people having their lives blighted by a private company who fail to provide transport - and Grayling allows it to go on so as not to upset his politics.

Tory MP Bob Neill has called for Grayling to quit.

Sadiq Khan wants Southern to be run by TFL. All available feedback indicates the public who travel on those lines want the same.

Boris Johnson also wanted train lines to come under TFL and a 3 year old letter to him from Chris Grayling has emerged where Grayling says he agrees with that in principle but he is concerned that at some point in the future there may be a London Mayor and he didn't want Labour to be running train services.

That is an outrageous abuse of power. Thousands of people having their lives blighted by a private company who fail to provide transport - and Grayling allows it to go on so as not to upset his politics.

Tory MP Bob Neill has called for Grayling to quit.

It might be interesting to know the who the share holders are or what politicos, serving and ex, have links to the Board.

The guard stays - that's not the issue - it's who closes the doors.

Do you trust a driver with CCTV, checking that everyone is safely aboard/off the train when he's under pressure to stick to the timetable? 4 car trains, yes that's fine, but 12 car? At rush hour?

We've done studies on knock on delays throughout the entire rail network, and even if one train is delayed by as little as a minute, can result in lengthy delays in entirely different route.

Also, the trouble with Southern won't go away by nationalisation or handing it to TFL. The infrastructure, notably the DC power side is on it's last legs. Trains can only run at 60% of their capability meaning that keeping to the timetable (which is constructed at 95%) is impossible.

The entire Southern region needs to undergo an AC OLE upgrade, but this will cost billions (upwards of £60bn I believe), not to mention the outcry when nice middle class areas of Sussex are suddenly faced with looking at OLE gantries rather than a 3rd rail that can be hidden away by some nice trees (which, in their own way cause ££££s of delay).

Back