• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
So as not to end up highjacking the thread on Nottingham Forest tickets with speed camera talk I thought I best start a new one on here....

Does anyone know much about those average speed cameras they have on the tall blues poles with small yellow cameras? Quite a few on the M25.

I drive to my bf's in Nottingham quite often and am now slightly concerned that driving 90-100mph colin macrae (rip) style might not be such a good idea? We all know about the gatso cameras and that you will no doubt be flashed if you drive too fast past them, but whats the deal with the average speed cameras???

I dont want to end up with loadsa points or possibly banned lol.

apparently you can avoid them by changing lanes... not sure if this is still the case but was a big thing when they first came out. they are a bit of a pain because cause people to brake suddenly all the time, having got points on my license im definitely more careful about speeding and stuff so my advice would be to drive at a sensible speed and also to avoid the roads with them on!

Bottom line Sam is they scan your plate when you come in, scan your plate when you go out, and average your speed across the distance. If you're speeding, you'll get a ticket.

As I understand it, the system is totally automated from catching you, working out who you are, processing the fine and firing it off to you in the post.

I heard (as you do) that the cameras are lane-dependant so can be defeated by lane switching over the course of the measurement, so if you go in in the outside lane and think you might have been speeding, come out in the inside or middle lane. That could of course be total bollocks!

Even though I drive a lot and do tend to drive faster on motorways, my license is too valuable and I don't mess with these babies.

whats the deal with the average speed cameras???

They measure your, erm.. average speed. They take a picture of you at the start and time how long it takes you to get to the next camera, if you get there quicker than you should ie breaking the limit ya get busted.

I think they are superb personally. Much better than the conventional cameras when it comes to motorways as you don’t get everyone speeding and then slowing down for the cameras which creates bottle necks – the average cameras ensure a steady flow of traffic and in my experience have meant getting through roadworks a lot quicker.

Bottom line Sam is they scan your plate when you come in, scan your plate when you go out, and average your speed across the distance. If you're speeding, you'll get a ticket.

As I understand it, the system is totally automated from catching you, working out who you are, processing the fine and firing it off to you in the post.

I heard (as you do) that the cameras are lane-dependant so can be defeated by lane switching over the course of the measurement, so if you go in in the outside lane and think you might have been speeding, come out in the inside or middle lane. That could of course be total bollocks!

Even though I drive a lot and do tend to drive faster on motorways, my license is too valuable and I don't mess with these babies.

Well its not about me wanting to avoid the fines or dodge the law, despite driving faster than the speed limit on motorways I am careful and not one of those nutters that drives up right behind you flashing their lights for you to get out of the way and I usually go in the middle lane a lot....Im just a bit concerned as I think I may have been going a bit faster on some of the roads than I should and was worried about the average speed cameras.
What I dont understand is that I am taking the trip on these roads every couple of weeks and havent had anything through? But usually Im just keeping up with the flow of traffic so obviously it isnt just me that is speeding??

Think I will be much more careful from now on Im slightly concerned now!!

Sam if you don't hear anything within 14 days of thinking you've been done, the Old Bill can't proceed with the prosecution!

They measure your, erm.. average speed. They take a picture of you at the start and time how long it takes you to get to the next camera, if you get there quicker than you should ie breaking the limit ya get busted.

I think they are superb personally. Much better than the conventional cameras when it comes to motorways as you don’t get everyone speeding and then slowing down for the cameras which creates bottle necks – the average cameras ensure a steady flow of traffic and in my experience have meant getting through roadworks a lot quicker.

Yes I obviously know that, what I dont get is that people are always driving much faster than they should through these cameras, me included sometimes yet I havent actually heard of anyone that has ever been caught? I agree they are better than the gatso ones as they dont cause suddden emergency stop style breaking as often but people do go for the brake as soon as they see them coming up.

Sam if you don't hear anything within 14 days of thinking you've been done, the Old Bill can't proceed with the prosecution!

Well thats a relief, Im now going to be on better road speed behaviour lol.

Like I said Im not one of the crazy drivers going 120mph and flashing people out of the way I just drive a bit faster than the speed limit which I am sure a lot of people do and was concerned that I might have been caught without realising thats all. But am definately going to take a bit more care now!

I've benefited from that rule a couple of times! :D
About the average speed cameras, just stick rigidly to the speed limit posted, it's not worth trying to outfox them. I'm pretty sure they fixed the 'lane dependancy' issue out a while back.

I've benefited from that rule a couple of times! :D
About the average speed cameras, just stick rigidly to the speed limit posted, it's not worth trying to outfox them. I'm pretty sure they fixed the 'lane dependancy' issue out a while back.

mainly by sticking up loads so you don't know which ones are paired

Yes I obviously know that, what I dont get is that people are always driving much faster than they should through these cameras, me included sometimes yet I havent actually heard of anyone that has ever been caught? I agree they are better than the gatso ones as they dont cause suddden emergency stop style breaking as often but people do go for the brake as soon as they see them coming up.

Don’t be fooled with the whole safety in numbers thing. If everyone breaks the limit everyone will get a ticket, the computers don’t get put off with extra work. I talk from experience, they had the average speed cameras on the M1 for ages around the Leicester area and driving back to uni late a night one time I just kept up with the traffic as you do exceeding the limit which resulted in a ticketing coming in the post. They have been known to take up to 6 months to process.

Don’t be fooled with the whole safety in numbers thing. If everyone breaks the limit everyone will get a ticket, the computers don’t get put off with extra work. I talk from experience, they had the average speed cameras on the M1 for ages around the Leicester area and driving back to uni late a night one time I just kept up with the traffic as you do exceeding the limit which resulted in a ticketing coming in the post. They have been known to take up to 6 months to process.

Then they're invalid and you can contest them.
It's digital camera technology they're dealing with, so getting a speeding ticket out shouldn't be too much of a problem for the people that operate these cameras.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I wouldve thought its a pain if everyone is driving faster and you are having to dawdle in the slow lane due to this.

Well I havent even been driving up there for 6 months so I could have a whole collection coming in the post! But is that 14 day rule set in stone? if so then these tickets that might arrive 6 months late are irrelevant surely?

Then they're invalid and you can contest them.
It's digital camera technology they're dealing with, so getting a speeding ticket out shouldn't be too much of a problem for the people that operate these cameras.

im not so sure. have you successfully contested some in the past?

im not so sure. have you successfully contested some in the past?

From the Consumer Action Group website:

If you are caught speeding in any area either by the Police or camera they have to issue you with an N.I.P. ( Notice of intended prosecution) for the offence of speeding. This has to be issued within 14 days of the alleged offence or it is deemed unenforcable.

Good to know. especially as iv certainly been ‘done’ outside of this 14 day rule.

Knowledge certainly is power - gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Good to know. especially as iv certainly been ‘done’ outside of this 14 day rule.

Knowledge certainly is power - gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Try & reclaim your fine & get your points taken off.
You could be a valuable legal precedent.
I bet there's some hotshot "no win, no fee" legal team who'd take this up on your behalf!

Back