• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Speeding

I hate the way it is considered socially acceptable to do everything possible to wriggle out of speeding convictions.

The rules are there for a reason - to help prevent people being injured or killed.

I'm willing to bet that speeding motorists kill far more kids every year than paedophiles and knife crime.

absolutely right.

Don't get me wrong, if I was over the limit then I don't have any quibbles with paying the fine. However, it annoys me when I know just how much money they are making out of the already skint motorist! Perhaps if the man jumping out the bush with the speed camera was helping solve a few of the bigger crimes in society then we would be far better off!

I got caught doing 73 in a 40, fortunately it was only a beat copper on his way back to the station rather than transport police and I got away with 3 points. Lucky really as I already had 6 points from other speeding offences.

3 years I had to drive with the knowledge that one more offence would mean a ban. Fortunately come April my license is clean again (not that I have a car capable of breaking speed limits anymore anyway!).

Could a beat copper not issue a fine or ticket then? What's that all about?

Afternoon Chaps!

In my younger days I used to speed around the back roads near Hockley, Rayleigh and Ashingdon in my Silver Cortina automatic and although speeding isn't big or clever, I did look pretty cool.
With the likes of Hue and Cry, Five Star and Climie Fisher blaring from my stereo I'm sure I impressed everyone who saw me.

Don't get me wrong, if I was over the limit then I don't have any quibbles with paying the fine. However, it annoys me when I know just how much money they are making out of the already skint motorist! Perhaps if the man jumping out the bush with the speed camera was helping solve a few of the bigger crimes in society then we would be far better off!

If people didn't speed the man in the bush might be solving some of the bigger crimes in society?

Because people insist on driving irresponsibly you could argue that the police should target behaviour most likely to cause injury and death rather than the 'Broken Britain' crimes that are sensationalized by the tabloids and yet affect relatively few people.

Last edited:
It can be frustrating when people are caught for only going a fraction over the limit, only the other day I was driving through a 30 and this silly c*w comes up behind me doing what must have been about 60-70mph, and overtakes me over hatched lines right outside a school (luckily after school hours). Where are the coppers, when these sort of pr*cks are about....too busy booking people for doing 35 in 30's!!!

It's good that you don't have any problem paying the fine as you know you did wrong, that's great.

Where the money they make out of the fines goes is of course a point for discussion.

It's the last part of your post that worries me.

Would a more serious crime be say, murder? If that murder was commited by a speeding motorist hitting a pedestrian or another car that could maybe have been prevented by 'a man jumping out the bush with the speed camera'.

Isn't basic respect for the law and other human beings something that is an essential part of our society.

Was it the speed camera along Main Road, Hockley or the one situated just before Greensward School?

Makes a diference apparantly (and I quote apparantly) as they view speeding outside school gates as serious.

Take the ticket, pay the fine, have the 3 points and hopefully lesson learnt-although I have to say in all probability we have all sped along a quiet road at sometime or the other-me included.

Also the Woman's prision in Hocley (Bullwood Hall) is no longer a prision for women. It is now a holding centre for illegal immigrants.

isnt there a way that you can get away with paying the fine, and instead paying a little bit more to go on a 'driver correction course'?

I believe its about £80, but you dont get the 3 points?

My Grandad did that when he got caught speeding and that way had no points put on his licence.

Em.

i had 3 points for speeding and was two weeks away from having them wiped from my licence and i got cought again :whistling:, some plastic plod hiding in the bush.
i was not a happy bunny

I've never understood speeding in built up areas.

If something happens unexpectedly, you have much less reaction time to avoid a collision.
If you hit something at 40 rather than 30 you're much likely to do it irreparable damage.
There have been national adverts telling us this for years.

So why do people still do it?

6 points on my license both for speeding, the 1st was doing 34mph in a 30mph zone and done by a speedcamera in Leigh along the A13 at 04.00. Second one was doing 55mph in a 50mph (roadworks) by the Severn Bridge while going to our last LDV Final.

Although points are only on your licence for 3 years for insurance purposes they stay on for 5 years.

I hate the way it is considered socially acceptable to do everything possible to wriggle out of speeding convictions.

The rules are there for a reason - to help prevent people being injured or killed.

I'm willing to bet that speeding motorists kill far more kids every year than paedophiles and knife crime but unfortunately it does not provoke the same level of fear or outrage.

But we are back to the old time and a place for speeding issue. I do not consider driving at 85 mph on a motorway in the middle of the night in perfect road conditions when I am wide awake careless. Granted if something was to go wrong I have the additional speed factor at stake but when the 70 limit was put in place cars used to take an age to get to 70 and almost as long to brake safely at that speed. There are some 40/50 wholly inappropriate limits. Give us a decent trade off eg 20 mph limits around schools, hospitals and very dense residential estates vs realistic limits on open roads.

Back