• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sports Personality of the Year 2012

SPOTY?

• Total voters
1. Bradley Wiggins 492,064 (30.25%)

2. Jessica Ennis 372,765 (22.92%)

3. Andy Murray 230,444 (14.17%)

4. Mo Farah 131,327 (8.07%)

5. David Weir 114,633 (7.05%)

6. Ellie Simmonds 102,894 (6.33%)

7. Sir Chris Hoy 42,961 (2.64%)

8. Nicola Adams 35,560 (2.19%)

9. Ben Ainslie 35,373 (2.17%)

10. Rory McIlroy 29,729 (1.83%)

11. Katherine Grainger 28,626 (1.76%)

12. Sarah Storey 10,342 (0.64%)

Drastic™;1465567 said:
Well deserved win for Wiggo, as was expected, Ennis second and Murray 3rd. Any other year anyone on the shortlist could have won. Fantastic year.

Amen OBL. Anyone who dominates their sport the way he has deserves recognition (regardless of their background), he showed the competitive spirit at 2012 that all sportsmen & women must have in order to win and used a wrong to motivate himslef to come back. Ainslie is a big hero of mine, sailing may not grab the headlines as other sports, he's revolutionised the way people sail the smaller boats on the Olympics, and not only to do have to master your opponents but also nature itself. Voted 7 times for him myself (aswell as others inc. Wiggo).

and good luck to him in his aim of being the first brit to win the Americas Cup.

It's not directly about his background, but it's about the fact that it's pretty tricky to go and have a quick sail with your mates before tea. Sailing is for the privileged and upper classes, no matter how much Ben Ainsley tries to claim it isn't. It's an expensive sport to get into and therefore money does has a big impact on how likely you are to do well. It means that the potential competition comes from a smaller pool (no pun intended). Ainsley was born into money, went to private school and his family were all sailors, and so he had a massive advantage over 'normal' people.

I don't want to take away from Ainslie, because his achievements are fantastic. He's tipped for a Knighthood which will undoubtedly go down well with his Lord and Lady chums.:smile:

It's not directly about his background, but it's about the fact that it's pretty tricky to go and have a quick sail with your mates before tea. Sailing is for the privileged and upper classes, no matter how much Ben Ainsley tries to claim it isn't. It's an expensive sport to get into and therefore money does has a big impact on how likely you are to do well. It means that the potential competition comes from a smaller pool (no pun intended). Ainsley was born into money, went to private school and his family were all sailors, and so he had a massive advantage over 'normal' people.

I don't want to take away from Ainslie, because his achievements are fantastic. He's tipped for a Knighthood which will undoubtedly go down well with his Lord and Lady chums.:smile:

I disagree with the comments about class entirely. Are you telling me all the people who go out sailing at Southend on a regular basis in a variety of craft are ALL upper class or privileged? If so, I can assure you that you are wrong. I know plenty of people who sail, and if you do it from an early enough age and really catch the bug for it, then you're going to want to go on and be the best you can, and that's what being an Olympian is all about.

What about the Paralympian Sophie Christiansen, upper class or privileged? No, just a determination to succeed in her chosen discipline. What about one of our greatest ever Olympians, Sir Steve Redgrave? Does he fall into your "upper class or privileged" category? Certainly a number of his co-rowers have been, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) detract from appreciation for what he's done. Ben Ainslie has dominated his sport in a similar way to Redgrave but sailing is just not appreciated in the same way.

What about one of our greatest ever Olympians, Sir Steve Redgrave? Does he fall into your "upper class or privileged" category?

Read Redgrave's autobiography. He despises and bemoans, at great length, the elitist nature of British rowing.

Drastic™;1465620 said:
Total votes
2011: 330,00
2012: 1,500,000

There wasn't really a lot to vote for in 2011. Cavendish won in what was a pretty uneventful year of sport. Same when Zara Phillips won.

I disagree with the comments about class entirely. Are you telling me all the people who go out sailing at Southend on a regular basis in a variety of craft are ALL upper class or privileged? If so, I can assure you that you are wrong. I know plenty of people who sail, and if you do it from an early enough age and really catch the bug for it, then you're going to want to go on and be the best you can, and that's what being an Olympian is all about.

What about the Paralympian Sophie Christiansen, upper class or privileged? No, just a determination to succeed in her chosen discipline. What about one of our greatest ever Olympians, Sir Steve Redgrave? Does he fall into your "upper class or privileged" category? Certainly a number of his co-rowers have been, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) detract from appreciation for what he's done. Ben Ainslie has dominated his sport in a similar way to Redgrave but sailing is just not appreciated in the same way.

I never said all people who sail are upper class or privileged. I'd argue that a lot of them are, and I'd definitely say that the people who move from leisure sailing to competitive sailing are well off because it's just an extremely expensive sport/lifestyle.

I've got no problem with people who are well off or privileged being recognised for their achievements. I'm just trying to put sailing into perspective. It's out of reach for many people in this country which is why the populus seem to recognise the achievements of Wiggins, Murray, Ennis over Ainslie et al (even though statistically what Ainslie has achieved is incredible). Rowing isn't in the same category as sailing. Rowing clubs are always one of the biggest at university, which is where a lot of people seem to take it up. Sir Steve Redgrave got his knighthood and SPOTY (and golden SPOTY) as recognition for this.

Also, sailing is pretty boring to watch and pretty hard to follow. It doesn't really make a decent spectacle for viewers.:smile:

Agreed. My Dad was a keen sailor but certainly didn't come from a privileged background but a working class one (he became a design engineer himself), once when he came over to see me from Germany he took me to the Regatta to watch and meet some of his sailing friends, we had dinner at one couple's house which was a small house in Southchurch, they could have afforded a bit better but chose to spend their money on sailing. They certainly weren't privileged either. You don't need to buy a boat to sail, just join a club and use theirs, and joining doesn't cost much more than a golf or tennis club. Most sports cost alot at the top level and you get there by being good and getting sponsored/funded.

Also, sailing is pretty boring to watch and pretty hard to follow. It doesn't really make a decent spectacle for viewers.:smile:
I think the people who went and watched in Weymouth may well beg to differ!

Drastic™;1465627 said:
Agreed. My Dad was a keen sailor but certainly didn't come from a privileged background but a working class one (he became a design engineer himself), once when he came over to see me from Germany he took me to the Regatta to watch and meet some of his sailing friends, we had dinner at one couple's house which was a small house in Southchurch, they could have afforded a bit better but chose to spend their money on sailing. They certainly weren't privileged either. You don't need to buy a boat to sail, just join a club and use theirs, and joining doesn't cost much more than a golf or tennis club. Most sports cost alot at the top level and you get there by being good and getting sponsored/funded.

Or get a bike or a £5 football...

The point is that for many families sailing isn't even considered as a sporting option for their kids. You're unlikely to do it at school or even at uni. Unless you live in Southend or somewhere with good facilities and local clubs it just isn't going to happen. Instead many people will get into sports like cycling, tennis, football etc and therefore the achievement of someone getting right to the very very top is more impressive due to the huge pool of competition and the fact that it's so popular to begin with.

Hopefully the olympic legacy will make sports like sailing more popular and also more accessible.

Back