• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sports Personality of the year

SPOTY - who should win?

• Total voters

Firestorm

Pedant
Nominees announced today (from the BBC)

>>The top 10 contenders for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award have been named.

The list features Olympic heroes swimmer Rebecca Adlington, and cycling champions Nicole Cooke, Chris Hoy, Rebecca Romero and Bradley Wiggins.

Fellow Beijing winners sailor Ben Ainslie and 400m gold medallist Christine Ohuruogu also make the list.

Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton, boxer Joe Calzaghe and British tennis number one Andy Murray make up the 10. <<

So its Hamilton then.............

Actually, only Murray I'd begrudge winning. That is the strongest line-up for some considerable time.

But I'd like to see Hoy win it.

With his three gold medals in Beijing 2008 Hoy became Scotland's most successful Olympian, the first Briton to win three medals in a single Olympic games since Henry Taylor, in 1908, and the most successful Olympic male cyclist of all time.

and he was the year below me at Edinburgh.

I would like to see Hoy win it because he deserves it after his great achievements in the Olympics. He would have to wait till 2012 to be able to be up for this award again.

How is the voting for it done? Is it by the public? If so it will probably be Hamilton who wins it.

I think BBC have the rights to F1 next year, so they are bound to rig it so Hamilton does well.

I'd have voted for Cavendish but he isn't on the list.

I think BBC have the rights to F1 next year, so they are bound to rig it so Hamilton does well.

I'd have voted for Cavendish but he isn't on the list.

Decent shout re Cavendish. He suffered by not doing anything at the Olympics (only member of the GB team not to win a medal?) but his TdF exploits were fantastic. Green jersey for him next year hopefully.

Decent shout re Cavendish. He suffered by not doing anything at the Olympics (only member of the GB team not to win a medal?) but his TdF exploits were fantastic. Green jersey for him next year hopefully.

Yeah, he was let down by Wiggins not having anything in the tank.

Cav's turn of speed in Le Tour was awe inspiring, the way he just left these elite sprinters for dead. He's clearly the quickest man in the world.

Yeah, he was let down by Wiggins not having anything in the tank.

Cav's turn of speed in Le Tour was awe inspiring, the way he just left these elite sprinters for dead. He's clearly the quickest man in the world.

And he'll only get better with experience. Sprinting doesn't tend to be a young man's game. Once he has got a few years behind him and provided his team continue to do the job, he will be very tough to beat.

Chris Hoy for me, however no complaints if Ben Ainslie or Becky Adlington win it. Bur has been said the Beeb have F1 next year and I think that it will be Hamilton. And has also been said for once it's a strong field.

Hoy is getting backed in with Ladbrokes. Now 5/1 from 7s and Hamilton, though still a huge favourite, has been eased out to 1/2.

Chris Hoy was immense, but just like Phelps... he always had a good chance of winning multiple medals because of the schedule and the fact that there are so many events. I'm not trying to play down his achievement, but for me personally my vote is for Hamilton

Any of Hoy, Ainslie, Adlington or Hamilton would be worthy winners. I've just plumped for Ainslie: three golds and a silver in consecutive Olympics - despite having two years off from the last Olympic cycle to gain experience so that he might one day mount an Americas Cup campaign - is an extraordinary achievement. Modest, fiercely competitive, and someone who seems able to tame the elements and his rivals every time he gets in a boat. A remarkable yachtsman - a once-in-a-generation sportsman. If he were able to enter multiple events - something which you're prevented from doing in yachting - I'm sure he'd have won multiple medals.

Team of the Year? If it could go to Team GB's Cycling Team (rather than Team GB's overall Olympics team, which is surely a shoo-in for the award), it should. They swept all before them in the velodrome - magnificent.

Matt

I think I must be spending too much time watching football. With the exception of Hamilton, Murray and Calzaghe, I haven't got a clue who any of them are!

I have to stress that I was out of the country during the Olympics, so if the rest of them are our assorted fencers, conker-wizards and scrabble-chiefs, than that's probably why!

Back