• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm not concerned about him possibly going, what concerns me is the timing of this rumour and the effect it could have on the players. If Brown was to get the Portsmouth job in the summer then good luck to him, I wouldn't blame him for taking it. Would I be bothered about him leaving? Meh, he's done a reasonable job here but there are plenty of other good options out there who can take us on. As long as the lads and PB remain fully-focused on getting out of this dreadful league then we have no problem.

No disrespect to Brown but pompey can attract much better and more successful managers than him! Since being sacked by Hull what does his CV boast? If they are looking for someone to get them up, is it him? You want a proven manager at this level. Even John Still has a league two promotion on his CV.
Lets face it, Brown is linked to every bloody job just because he once managed at a higher level. Well so did Aidy Boothroyd, would you want him?
Pompey fans are a more influential on the board now and as a fan would he be your choice? The only reason the fans might think he is decent is because we beat them four times!

PB has a championship promotion on his CV. John still has a bigger budget than PB and when I last looked we were above them in the table. Any way there is a good chance we could be playing Luton more than once before the seasons end. So we can make a better judgement then.

If he went, I wouldn't mind seeing fergie Jr coming in, think although he's a biggish name we could attract him with the stadium that will never happen!

Wasn't he favourite for Bolton job a few months ago? I wouldn't look a great deal into this. I think because he's a well known name for L2 he will be linked to a lot of jobs.

... and he works for SKY, so it's easy to get a quote out of him.

As someone said earlier, you can ask someone a hypothetical question and twist the answer to suit.

For example, the headline "Man denies stealing money" can easily be read as he probably did it and is just denying it, when in truth, he might have been in another country at the time.

SSN have to fill their 24 hour rolling news channel with something, so why not pad it out with a bit of speculation.

Also, don't forget PB might feel his job here is under threat, so he would obviously keep his hat in the ring.

At this stage, a £20 bet placed in a shop in Southend would be enough to send Brown's price tumbling so I really wouldn't read too much in to the markets.

Southend United manager Phil Brown refuses to comment on Portsmouth speculation

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has refused to comment on speculation linking him with the vacant managerial position at Portsmouth.

More...

PB has a championship promotion on his CV. John still has a bigger budget than PB and when I last looked we were above them in the table. Any way there is a good chance we could be playing Luton more than once before the seasons end. So we can make a better judgement then.

Slight misinterpretation, I was referring to John Still's promotion with Daggers to league one. He surely would of had less money than Brown does at Southend. I was also using Still as one example. My use of the word "Even John Still has a league two promotion on his CV", implies that still is considered a 'lesser' manager than Brown but can boast a promotion from our current league. Brown has been backed by Mr Martin no question and doesn't YET have that on his CV.

In addition if you read what i said, i said what has he done SINCE his Hull tenure? I'm saying there are other managers out there that could get the job that are more proven than him at THIS level but also more proven at a higher level than him too.

I'd say this has probably got some legs in it. For Brown's profile managing Pompey in League Two's substantially more newsworthy than managing Southend in League Two, and the Pompey job at the moment is a great opportunity for managers to improve their CV without such a risk of staining it. If he does well there then all's well, but failure can be dismissed with a "yeah, well, the circumstances here...". Pompey have already confirmed Gary Waddock's going to take charge until the end of the season too, so there doesn't have to be this crossover of uncertainty.

Let's be honest here, a failure to secure promotion this season will be seen by many as an invitation to cut ties with the current management team and start afresh. Brown's been here two years now and we've yet to be presented with any concrete information regarding the new contract he was supposed to have been offered.

Bringing in Maher would be an enormous gamble given his inexperience, but there's no reason why him and Coughlan couldn't form part of a management team spearheaded by a more experienced figurehead.

i am a PS fan but if we dont go up this season he has to go my only worry is Who do you replace him with? (realistic)

i am a PS fan but if we dont go up this season he has to go my only worry is Who do you replace him with? (realistic)

It shouldn't be a worry. Despite what any doom and gloom mongers might suggest, we're one of just 92 league clubs and still an extremely attractive proposition for hundreds of prospective replacements - quite literally HUNDREDS. Whether we were looking for "a name" or otherwise, should Brown go, we'd be positively inundated with CVs.

I personally think Brown IS looking at this role with a covetous eye. Surely everyone would recognise that Southend would always have been either a last chance or a stepping stone?

The hope was always that it would be the latter and we'd be of mutual benefit to each other in the meantime.

I think we do play decent football. The problem is that it is only for 10-15 minutes of a match at best and even less time in the final 3rd.

No disrespect meant, but we should be taking teams like Tranmere apart for fun. Even when we go a goal up, you'd hope we try and get more to kill the game off yet we just sit back as if the job is done.

I doubt Brown will leave before the season is over, he has a chance for promotion (CV booster) and Portsmouth are comfortably mid-table.
I must have been asleep during the 15 mins on Sat then, it was dire throughout, hoof hoof hoof, totally clueless.

This has turned up at a wrong time, we could really do without. As far as PB leaving not that concerned really.

If we go up he has that on his CV - may still go to Pompey even then. If we don't go up he would be favourite to be asked to vacate his position and would be glad if the Pompey job were on offer. Either way, his refusal to dismiss the links of him and Pompey appear to be self-serving.

Players will feel the uncertainty. Many may be happy to see him go but others will wonder whether their future at Southend goes with him. A new manager will likely recruit his own squad.

I think the timing of this is poor and so is PB's initial handling of it.

Personally I think PB has higher ambitions than Pompey. If he gets us promoted this season I think his stock would increase and maybe attract a championship club on the look out

I have no issue with the idea of PB going. I think Penny and Coughlin could do the job. Its the knock on and disrupting affect of such a rumour on the team at this critical stage of the season that bothers me more.

Back