• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reading this thread I see there's still a fair bit of anti-Brown feeling amongst fans. Results go our way tonight and we're right back in with a chance of automatic promotion so I find this a little odd.

Well I haven't seen enough games this season to offer any valid opinion, but from reading SZ, it appears that the criticism is more to do with a perceived under performance based on the squad/facilities made available to him rather than the actual League position.

Totally different scale I know, but Pellegrini is likely to get a Champions League qualification, but given the resources at his disposal has under performed and may well lose his job as a consequence.

Here is my analogy from some times back in the 70's and 80's.

I had a regular girlfriend, she was ok BUT never going to be a long term thing and I was looking for the next move; but you know, "bird in the hand worth two in the bush" etc until she got in first and GAVE ME the heave ho: that stung and it is a bit like that with PB in that I don't see him as being the manager to lead us up and up to the Chumpship BUT at the same time don't really want him jumping ship at the present time.:blush:

Here is my analogy from some times back in the 70's and 80's.

I had a regular girlfriend, she was ok BUT never going to be a long term thing and I was looking for the next move; but you know, "bird in the hand worth two in the bush" etc until she got in first and GAVE ME the heave ho: that stung and it is a bit like that with PB in that I don't see him as being the manager to lead us up and up to the Chumpship BUT at the same time don't really want him jumping ship at the present time.:blush:

Phil just like my ex Brown. I like it.

IF he were to go and assuming he doesn't take key players with him, I think the shackles would be off. I truly believe that we are where we are in the table in spite of Phil Brown, not because of him and that our team doesn't get the credit they deserve for being stifled.

No interest in this at all. I reckon he would have been sacked/left by mutual consent if he didnt take us up this year. And if we go up he wont be going to pompey.

No interest in this at all. I reckon he would have been sacred/left by mutual consent if he didnt take us up this year. And if we go up he wont be going to pompey.

Not, in a million years, could PB be considered sacred by the SZ faithful. Crucified, maybe, but not sacred!!

making a lot of assumptions here, so forgive me if theyre totally wide of the mark. 1) we don't get promoted, does PB want another year here where its unlikely he can make a difference? 2) we DO get promoted, doe she want to stay at a team that's likely to struggle to stay up, it wont do his cv any good. 3) Portsmouth, 'sleeping giants', even with their recent poor mismanagement, he may feel theres a lot more potential... average home attendance is 10,000 more than we get.4) he plain and simply could just want a change. 5) probable re build of the squad for 2015/16 season..... time to move on. not good timing however. Has he categorically said he's not interested?

SSN showing on the ticker-tape saying "Phil Brown is a number of managers Portsmouth are interested in talking to", which is a big difference from PB being interested in the job himself, I would say.

IF he were to go and assuming he doesn't take key players with him, I think the shackles would be off. I truly believe that we are where we are in the table in spite of Phil Brown, not because of him and that our team doesn't get the credit they deserve for being stifled.

Spot on. And nice to see you posting again.

Agree with you 100% !

We have huffed and puffed yet rarely break the door down.I still believe this team should be top 3,,Jeez Corr has been scoring for a giggle ,he could have easily scored 20 now playing in a 2.

The latest odds have him as a big outsider at 40/1. Bookies normally get these things near enough, so it looks like he won't be their next manager.

Harry Redknapp 6
Ian Holloway 8
Darren Ferguson 10
Neil Warnock 10
Danny Wilson 16
Gianfranco Zola 16
Iain Dowie 16
Malky Mackay 16
Paul Tisdale 16
Gary Megson 20
Dennis Wise 33
John Hartson 33
Nick Barmby 33
Paul Ince 33
Aidy Boothroyd 40
Dean Saunders 40
Neil Cox 40
Phil Brown 40
Robbie Fowler 40

Harry Redknapp!??! :hilarious::hilarious:

There are good names on the list, I wouldn't mind Darren Ferguson in charge for us, if PB bugger off to Pompey!

It would be great to have a new manager at Southend to moan about.
Ronnie kept Sturrock on for a year too long and even the most die-hard experienced moaners had lost the will to live by the end of his time in charge. Some of them were so desperate they started to make out they had really liked him all along as soon as he was sacked.
Let's hope Ronnie doesn't make the same mistake this team and if Brown doesn't go to Pompey, sack him anyway even if we get promoted. In fact, in those circumstances sack him for getting us promoted.
Who would you like to moan about as the next Southend manager? Do we go for an inexperienced guy we can really destroy before his managerial career gets off the ground? Do we want someone we don't like straight away or someone we are intially supportive of but gradually learn to moan about?
Big decisions for Ronnie but whatever happens we can trust in the fact that in the fans eyes he will get it wrong. Whoever the next guy is, however he does, whatever style and formation his team plays, Southend fans will moan about him. That is what being a Southend fan is all about. We are Southend and our only passion is for moaning.

Could be down to rons lack of funds for next season

Oh boo hoo! Brown has been backed VERY well by Ron. And if Ron has no funds I agree he should hand over the reigns to the many multi-millionaires who are queued up to take over and pump money in. Oh hang on........

On a separate note, Portsmouth are a proper club with a proper ground and give us a great away day every year (which we usually win!). Whilst we complain about Sturrock / Brown, Portsmouth haven't managed to do as well as we have in this division, and they surely have a bigger 'pull' when it comes to getting the best players. Our managers aren't as bad as some fans would have you believe.

Last edited:
It would be great to have a new manager at Southend to moan about.
Ronnie kept Sturrock on for a year too long and even the most die-hard experienced moaners had lost the will to live by the end of his time in charge. Some of them were so desperate they started to make out they had really liked him all along as soon as he was sacked.
Let's hope Ronnie doesn't make the same mistake this team and if Brown doesn't go to Pompey, sack him anyway even if we get promoted. In fact, in those circumstances sack him for getting us promoted.
Who would you like to moan about as the next Southend manager? Do we go for an inexperienced guy we can really destroy before his managerial career gets off the ground? Do we want someone we don't like straight away or someone we are intially supportive of but gradually learn to moan about?
Big decisions for Ronnie but whatever happens we can trust in the fact that in the fans eyes he will get it wrong. Whoever the next guy is, however he does, whatever style and formation his team plays, Southend fans will moan about him. That is what being a Southend fan is all about. We are Southend and our only passion is for moaning.

Great post.

Back