• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Couldn't disagree more. Football isn't won or lost on statistics, it is won and lost by human beings who react as human beings and not robots. Our statistics show that either we are mentally weak, because our record of clean sheets and mean defence means that there shouldn't, statistically, be that number of points dropped once we are ahead, or our manager is making the wrong tactical decisions and/or substitutions once we do go ahead.

I know what my money is on.

But surely by the same token you must be saying that our players must be either mentally strong or our manager must be making the right tactical decisions to get us ahead in the first place?

Uh........?

You imply that the statistics are irrelevant and then argue from a purely statistical, not real-world, view point:

It's completely irrelevant which order the goals are scored in. You get no more points for coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 than you do for leading 3-0 and ending up winning 3-2. Either way it's a 3-2 win and 3 points.

But of course it's relevant. If you come from two goals down to win three-two three matches in a row, you will be increasingly confident that you can do it again, whereas if you let a three goal lead slip to three-two, three matches in a row, you will become increasingly worried that the next match will result in a draw or defeat.

But surely by the same token you must be saying that our players must be either mentally strong or our manager must be making the right tactical decisions to get us ahead in the first place?

I think our players are pretty mentally strong, and our manager usually sets the team up well at the start. It's the decisions he makes towards the end of games that have cost us, time and time again.

I think our players are pretty mentally strong, and our manager usually sets the team up well at the start. It's the decisions he makes towards the end of games that have cost us, time and time again.

The statistics would suggest that your comment is pretty accurate, unless the players lack fitness compared to our opponents.

I know which one I believe.

You imply that the statistics are irrelevant and then argue from a purely statistical, not real-world, view point:

[/I][/COLOR]But of course it's relevant. If you come from two goals down to win three-two three matches in a row, you will be increasingly confident that you can do it again, whereas if you let a three goal lead slip to three-two, three matches in a row, you will become increasingly worried that the next match will result in a draw or defeat.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, I just think people get too hung up on stats etc. We are in the top 6 of the league so I'm sure that for every stat indicating we are weaker than other sides (ie letting leads slip), we'll be able to find another stat showing that we are stronger in other areas - keeping clean sheets at home is an obvious example....if (and this is just hypothetically) we are mentally weak, and our manager is tactically deficient, then to be top 6 at this stage in the season there must be some other aspects of the game that we are exceptionally good at.

Also whilst I agree there will be a feelgood factor and increase in moral by winning 3 consecutive games after being 2 goals behind, the stats people would still look at the negatives and question why we start so slowly and find ourselves 2 goals down in the first place.

I still think it's irrelevant how many points are conceded from a winning position.....it's about how many points you win within the 90 minutes...if you score all your goals in the first half you could argue that it shows weaknesses in your second half performances, but if you score them all at the second period it could point to perceived weaknesses in first half performances......it's like a horse race..some horses are front runners, some are fast finishers, but whoever gets to the line quickest wins.
There are multiple things that combine to win or lose you a football match...from individual performances, individual decisions, tactical set up and tactical decisions and a lot of luck too...if you want to look for stats to prove pretty much anything you'll be able to do it. One team in the league will have the most goals scored within 5 seconds of a throw in, the most goals scored by full backs, the most goals scored between the 14th to 17th minute, or the most goals conceded between making their second and third substitution - but it won't mean anything.
Football is a simple game, you need to score more goals than the opposition - the ways to arrive at that final score are almost infinite and the only stat that matters at the end of the season is who scored more goals than the opposition in the most games....it makes no difference whether you score the goals at the beginning or end of the game, just as it makes no difference if you collect your points at the start or the end of the season....you just need to get more goals and more points than your opposition.

We must be mentally stronger than the 3 sides above us as we have gained more points from losing positions than they have.

We must be mentally weaker than the 3 sides above us as we have lost more points from winning positions than they have.

Take you pick.

We must be mentally stronger than the 3 sides above us as we have gained more points from losing positions than they have.

We must be mentally weaker than the 3 sides above us as we have lost more points from winning positions than they have.

Take you pick.

Not sure about that.

We have won 2 (Portsmouth A & Oxford A) and drawn 1 (Carlisle A) from losing positions.

Burton have won 2 (Us H, Daggers H) and drawn 5 (Stevenage H, Carlisle H, Newport A, Portsmouth A, York A) from losing positions.

Shrewsbury have won 7 (Stevenage H, Portsmouth H, Cheltenham H, Tranmere H, Morecambe A, Daggers A, Carlisle A) and drawn 2 (Us H, Wimbledon A) from losing positions.

Wycombe have won 5 (Us H, Mansfield H, Stevenage A, Oxford A, Cheltenham A) and drawn 6 (Us A, Stevenage H, Northampton H, Daggers H, Accrington H, Bury A) from losing positions.

Points gained from losing positions:
Shrewsbury 23 points
Wycombe 21 points
Burton 11 points
Southend 7 points

Take you pick.

Or we are about the same, but the tactics deployed to keep us ahead are not as effective as those used by the three teams above us.

Mm the plot thickens.. 'Alan advised he's been approached by third parties for next season, and was not prepared to sign as he wanted to speak with them'

Could be somthing, could be nothing..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32347094

I hope we're not the club sounding him out. He comes across as a very dour, serious man in interviews. He shows no sense of humour, and is a massive moaner about refs. I turn the radio off as soon as he comes on now. No thanks.

Devo performed miracles at BT,part time club with crowds of 500 yet not only did he steer them to compete in that league but mid table too,last season they nearly made the PO.

Deserves his chance in the FL.

I hope we're not the club sounding him out. He comes across as a very dour, serious man in interviews. He shows no sense of humour, and is a massive moaner about refs. I turn the radio off as soon as he comes on now. No thanks.

Sounds like he'd fit in well in the East Stand if he doesn't get the managers role!

We were! :cool:

Normally it's quieter in the East Bank, as we are all busy enjoying the free food & wine provided by Ron and the boys in our executive seats .. The football is just a minor distraction to the jollities!

Originally Posted by Norwichshrimper I'd quite like to see Nathan Jones back as manager, though I fear he may have been gone too long

This is possibly the funniest post ever, ....supreme. I can't stop chuckling over it. :hilarious:

Back