• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium plans called in

New Ground Public Inquiry

Hello.

New to this board.

Just seen the news that the new ground is subject to a planning review. Disappointing, but I guess not surprising.

My question is, given that there will be a delay now of several months, do you think we'll make the move. Somehow, I can't see we will.

We need to, in fact we have to, but given our current perilous state and we're staring relegation squarely in the eyes, I just can't see it.

It means that there will be a public inquiry into the stadium plans and the final decision will be made by the Government.

It also means our redevelopment plans are put back probably by at least 1 year

To review the decision I think.....................Just what we need......That makes for a total pish off 3 days all around..:mad:

Have the Officers of Southend BC who recommended that the plans were not approved at Council got anything to do with this? Is this anything to do with the ongoing police investigation in Gloucestershire? Have there been loads of local objections since the decision was made? Or is it meddling by the Government Dept that has meddled so long and hard with Brighton and Hove Albion?

Whatever it may be, and it is probably none of the above, this looks a doomed project to me.

I do not know much at these things ...But if the local councils agree it is all ok...Why does she need to call it in ........Stinks of more Big Brother government to me.

I do not know much at these things ...But if the local councils agree it is all ok...Why does she need to call it in ........Stinks of more Big Brother government to me.

I think there should be a public inquiry into why someone who belongs to a sceretive Catholic sect, who swear allegiances of secrecy to protect one another, and carry out self-flagellation as tokens of sin-admittance to a non-existant god, are members of HM Government.

Surely no one is surprised at that? They call in pretty much every stadium application that ever gets approved by a council, since it's such a large development with potentially significant impacts on the local community and environment.

The SSETR needs to justify her own existence, so looking again at applications for planning permission to build stadiums is a good, high-profile way to make it look like you're actually doing a worthwhile job.

Can't see why this would delay us for a year or why it's something to lose much sleep over - I'd have been far more surprised if our application had not been called in, to be honest. Oh, and if it gets rejected at this stage, then I'm sure Ron wouldn't hesitate to thake DETR to judicial review...

So... meh, basically.

Matt

Nothing to do with the Gloucester inquiry, this has everything to do with the fact the Planning Office recommended the plans not be approved.

From my understanding, it is also nothing like the situation with Brighton and Hove. Brighton declared their plans, then it came about that half the stadium was actually within Lewes Council jurisdiction...

Have the Officers of Southend BC who recommended that the plans were not approved at Council got anything to do with this? Is this anything to do with the ongoing police investigation in Gloucestershire? Have there been loads of local objections since the decision was made? Or is it meddling by the Government Dept that has meddled so long and hard with Brighton and Hove Albion?

Whatever it may be, and it is probably none of the above, this looks a doomed project to me.

I can slightly understand that more as I think it was Lewes, one of the councils involved that put up an objection. We had the Green light from both councils involved.

Nothing to do with the Gloucester inquiry, this has everything to do with the fact the Planning Office recommended the plans not be approved.

From my understanding, it is also nothing like the situation with Brighton and Hove. Brighton declared their plans, then it came about that half the stadium was actually within Lewes Council jurisdiction...

So the blame lies fairly and squarely at those beige men, with poor excuses for beards, with no sex life who hate football then?

That is not true . I was at the Council meeting.The planning officer said that they needed to get to together with SUFC to iron out a few details and the SBC gave it the go ahead. He DID NOT recommend refusal.

Woah back there!!

1. No, it's not doomed.

2. The Brighton application is the precise reverse of ours. It was rejected by the local council, then Prezza called it in and approved it over the heads of the councillors because he liked to make himself popular with footy fans, and then the whole application got blown out of the water because the morons who submitted the application had failed to spot that the ground was (a) half within the borough of Lewes; and (b) on a designated site of "outstanding natural beauty".

In complete contrast:

1. We're not on a site of ONB.

2. Ron has done a superb job on the application in terms of getting buy in from both Rochford and Southend.

3. Both local councils have approved.

Ruth Kelly would, frankly, have to be off her rocker to overturn the local councils' findings...

:thump:

Hello.

New to this board.

Just seen the news that the new ground is subject to a planning review. Disappointing, but I guess not surprising.

My question is, given that there will be a delay now of several months, do you think we'll make the move. Somehow, I can't see we will.

We need to, in fact we have to, but given our current perilous state and we're staring relegation squarely in the eyes, I just can't see it.
Hello fella - I'm going to merge your thread with the other one that is ongoing... and yes, I still think we'll move.

Matt

Back