• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steve Tilson gone threads

Blimey, yet another person in a position of influence on Shrimperzone who appears to have been made privy to "secret" information about RM and his dealings.... Shouldn't all this be discussed publicly now, instead of being alluded to all the time so we can make up our own minds?

It might alter public perception in favour of Ron....

I'm clearly missing something.

Why is the jury out on Sturrock? What has he done in his career that would make him be considered a yes-man. He's managed enough clubs that we can form a reasoned opinion of him. I don't believe that he has a reputation as a yes-man at any of those clubs.

What was Billy Jennings' role?

Well for a start, just look at what the Plymouth fan posted elsewhere.
PS has a potentially debilitating illness and the world of football management is stressful at the best of times. At the end of the day I there were hardly any managers we could have got in (IF Tilson had to go) combined with very few clubs, if any other than us prepared to employ him.

I also worry about the "style" of football we will play. OK, we know L2 is a fight but at least the last boys proved you could play proper passing football and prevail.

Jennings - refer back to the threads after the Q&A. I think from a football management perspective, things have not been right since RM wanted him to be our Director of Football (I wonder who said why does a L1 or even L2 club need one, oh yeah that's right...)
There's also plenty of posts from others more in the loop than me as to what he's done.

PS has a potentially debilitating illness and the world of football management is stressful at the best of times. At the end of the day I there were hardly any managers we could have got in (IF Tilson had to go) combined with very few clubs, if any other than us prepared to employ him.

I read what the Plymouth fan (singular) wrote and pboreham will post a similar article on Steve Tilson on the messageboard of whichever club he joins.

I believe there are plenty of out of work managers who'd welcome the opportunity to resurrect their managerial careers with us. I also think there are plenty of clubs who'd appoint Sturrock as manager. He's only been out of a job for 2 months so it isn't as if everyone has passed over him.

I also worry about the "style" of football we will play. OK, we know L2 is a fight but at least the last boys proved you could play proper passing football and prevail.

Jennings - refer back to the threads after the Q&A. I think from a football management perspective, things have not been right since RM wanted him to be our Director of Football (I wonder who said why does a L1 or even L2 club need one, oh yeah that's right...)
There's also plenty of posts from others more in the loop than me as to what he's done.

I appear to have missed all these posts about Jennings. Can someone enlighten me please.

"fact that he got himself back where he started -
League 2. "
.......this made me laugh. Dunno what your agenda is mate but i tell you one thing, with everything that went on last season did you really expect Tilson to do better? Christ, then to say it is time Tilson went?
Sooner Tilson comes back the better, you don't know a good thing 'till it goes.

I really despair with some of our so called supporters.

Go and support whatever team Tilson assistant manages. Thought the aim was to support the club and not someone who u hero worship. Come on, he was honestly no Cloughie was he.

"fact that he got himself back where he started -
League 2. "
.......this made me laugh. Dunno what your agenda is mate but i tell you one thing, with everything that went on last season did you really expect Tilson to do better? Christ, then to say it is time Tilson went?
Sooner Tilson comes back the better, you don't know a good thing 'till it goes.

I really despair with some of our so called supporters.

I will have a £100 bet with you that Tilson does no better anywhere else in management! for me he is not the genius everyone thinks! but dont get me wrong he done well but Brush was key in all of it

I read what the Plymouth fan (singular) wrote and pboreham will post a similar article on Steve Tilson on the messageboard of whichever club he joins.

I believe there are plenty of out of work managers who'd welcome the opportunity to resurrect their managerial careers with us. I also think there are plenty of clubs who'd appoint Sturrock as manager. He's only been out of a job for 2 months so it isn't as if everyone has passed over him.

I appear to have missed all these posts about Jennings. Can someone enlighten me please.

My mate said exactly the same - he hasnt got the net at the moment, so I text him about what the Plymouth fan had said and said 'doesnt sound too good does it?' - and he replied, "well, you'd list Tilsons shortcomings" and that made sense.

Thats not to say Sturrock is going to be great, but I read 4 pages on a Plymouth message board and the praise for Sturrock was pretty unanimous.

If he stood up to Ron earlier he would've been sacked earlier. As for those players, they are a bloody disgrace, should never have gone down, wages or no wages. Bloody glad some have gone/ are trying to go, sooner the better. It's not nice not being paid, but don't crap on your own fans by not putting in the effort. And how could Tilly install discipline anyway? Threaten the players with getting subbed, ha! Dock their wages, ha!

This thread is bollocks.

I agree that standing up to Ron wouldn't have worked. Tilson was put in an impossible position. The football we played under him, apart from the second half of last season, was exciting to watch and brought a lot of supporters into the club. The poor guy is barely out of the door, having had the club default on his wages for most of the last year, yet soldiering on regardless, and his reward is the treatment he received from the club last week and now this thread. I can hear the sound of him shaking the dust off his feet from here. God bless you Tilly wherever you go.

Pride not prejudice ...

Rich - I too have been worried about this. However, I've been doing a bit of 'cognitive reframing' in the last 48 hours and I'm trying to feel proud that my club is promoting disability awareness and a positive agenda for the rights of people with disabilities. Obviously, I'm still hurting at the way Tilly has been treated, but perhaps this new era for our club might lead to a more sensitive and compassionate Ron as he will have to learn more about this condition and accept that our new manager will have his 'off days.' Perhaps this new learning curve can start here ...

http://www.parkinson-hotline.com/etreatment01.htm?gclid=CIO4itT32KICFRMslAodzFoExQ

:soapbox: over.

From Football Rumours site...

13 Jul 2010 18:55:20
Breaking news from down west:

Steve Tilson is in talks to become Swansea's new manager.

He is prepared to burn all bridges with Southend and move to West Wales within days.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the owners there will remember Tilson from the tussles we used to have with Swansea, not least the day we got promoted there. If it was any other Club at that level I'd say 'no', but with Swansea....

Also it looks like they are thinking slightly outside the box, perhaps having been burned by Paulo Sousa's defection. They approached Paul Tisdale at Exeter, Billy Reid of Hamilton, and ex-Shrimper Graeme Jones (I think he's a coach at Wigan now...?) and got nowhere so maybe Tilly is moving up their shortlist.

Last edited:
How can he when he's on gardening leave ?

Gardening Leave just means he's still on the payroll until his contract runs out. If Tilly is serious about staying in Management then he won't want to sit out for a year and it goes without saying that Ron Martin would love him to get another job so that he can stop paying him.

Gardening Leave just means he's still on the payroll until his contract runs out. If Tilly is serious about staying in Management then he won't want to sit out for a year and it goes without saying that Ron Martin would love him to get another job so that he can stop paying him.

and once the leave finishes, steve can spill the beans!

Also if he has another job, his new employer won't be too happy about him ranting about his old club to the papers. Doesn't look too pro. Good luck to you Tilly.

A return?

Remember people that Webb returned many times. Don't rule out Tilly making a return in the future once the club has sorted itself out i.e Ron leaving. Fingers crossed.

Back