• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Stevenage v Southend United, Carabao Cup Tuesday 13 August 7:45pm

Startling lineup and result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Bond will be caught between his initial plan, which would undoubtedly have been to use the game to balance off game time for fringe players, with the likes of ; McLaughlin, Hyam, Blackman, White, Bishop, Ridgewell, Dieng and Demetriou (if either are fit), Ndukwu, Kelman and Robinson, all playing a big part.

However I think now his selection will be clouded by the desire to get the season up and running with a win and this may we’ll see a stronger side starting with Cox and Humphrys both needing goals and confidence...

I’d be very surprised if players like Milligan, Lennon, Shaunessey or Ralph are risked.....

You may see something like :-

————————Bishop————————

Demetriou—White—Ridgewell—Blackman

—————Dieng————Hyam—————

————————Kelman————————

Ndukwu———Robinson———McLaughlin

With a bench of :-
Cox
Humphrys
Hutchinson
Lennon
Elvis
Mantom
Oxley

I think Bond will stick with his system, he can't back down after that shocking post match interview and has backed himself into a corner with just 2 games gone.

Therefore, bearing his system in mind, I think he will go, providing all these players are fit and up for selection:

------------------------ Bishop

----------- White ---- Lennon----- Shaughnessy

Bwomono-------------- Milligan -----------------------Ralph

-----------Mantom -------------McLaughlin

--------------------------------- Cox
------------- Robinson

Trying to fit the players into the system for me highlights the need for increased quality in midfield. Also I think with Theo's success at this level last season, he will and should be given a go from the start in this fixture.

With John White's experience at right back I also believe he would be a good support to Elvis, and verbally be able to support his positional play, with both Coventry and Blackpool catching us out with balls over the wing backs into space when we lose possession when pushing forward.

For me McLaughlin has been better defensively and is an improved player with this aspect of his game and if, as a lot of people feel, he should be sent on loan for a spell in L2, then for me he is an option for this fixture.

Suduko would offer pace from the bench, Humphreys maybe needs a little pressure taken off of him and I would start him at Lincoln.

Milligan and Ralph have been pretty consistent for the first couple of games and if this game is going to kick start our season, I wouldn't leave them out, same goes for Lennon.

Mantom gets in for me, again due to the lack of options in midfield, Cox as well as being the focus for the creativity and support going forward needs the match time, and a perfect option for Bishop to make an impact.

Football is a game of opinions, the one that counts is obviously Mr Bond's, let's hope he has not "lost" the dressing room and whoever he picks, we can get a performance that honours the shirt, the players and the fans.

Completely agree about Robinson, and more or less with everything else

I think Bond will be caught between his initial plan, which would undoubtedly have been to use the game to balance off game time for fringe players, with the likes of ; McLaughlin, Hyam, Blackman, White, Bishop, Ridgewell, Dieng and Demetriou (if either are fit), Ndukwu, Kelman and Robinson, all playing a big part.

However I think now his selection will be clouded by the desire to get the season up and running with a win and this may we’ll see a stronger side starting with Cox and Humphrys both needing goals and confidence...

I’d be very surprised if players like Milligan, Lennon, Shaunessey or Ralph are risked.....

————————Bishop————————

—————Dieng————Hyam—————

————————Kelman————————

Cox
Humphrys
Hutchinson
Lennon
Elvis
Mantom
Oxley

I think that’s exactly (or very close) to the side I picked in the voting above.

————————Bishop————————

—————Dieng————Hyam—————

————————Kelman————————

Cox
Humphrys
Hutchinson
Lennon
Elvis
Mantom
Oxley

Ridgewell?!?

Bond has put himself between a rock and a hard place. After two defeats I am sure he would like to field a 'B' team against Stevenage and concentrate on the league, but if he doesn't put out his preferred eleven, then they will not get the practice so needed to play the way the gaffer wants.

Bearing in mind there are players we should not 'risk,' in a goofball fixture, and some fringe players that need opportunity, then KB really has a lot of soul searching and hair pulling to do.

I am not so bothered by the squad he puts out as much as the tactics he deploys. I would like to see him show flexibility and imagination. Those are two things that, thus far, he has either constrained or shown he does not possess.

One thing I will say, seemingly in defence of Bond, the players themselves need to do some soul searching. We put out a side with a great deal of experience against Blackpool but it certainly did not show. Bond may, or may not, have got a lot wrong but they should have given a better account of themselves.

------------------bishop----------------
elvis------shaunassey--lennon-----ralph
-----------------milligan----------------
----------hyam----------mantom-------
-----nduckwu----cox-------kelman-----

The most important thing for this team is confidence.

Play our strongest team so no Ridgewell, no half-fit Demetriou, no Blackman etc.

Let's get a reaction to Saturday and let's go through to the next round.

Bishop

Elvis
Shaughnessy
Lennon
Ralph

Ndukwu
Milligan
Mantom
Hutchinson

Cox
Humphrys

It's not clear yet mate. Last season Cup games mid week were available for us UK dwellers. Sooner or later the Live Match Centre will have more info so keep an eye open for that. If it's on there will be a 'buy match pass' bit somewhere on there.
It's up on the OS as the 'next match' I'm sure it's being covered but whether by video or just commentary, we'll have to wait and see. I've tried to remember previous years but there have been so few games for us in the Carabao Cup recently..............I can't remember! :Smile:

Would you expect the side you picked to beat Stevenage?

Depending on what Stevenage pick yes. But I wasn’t picking the side I expect to beat Stevenage!!! I was picking the side I thought KB may pick based on who he feels needs game time and who he feels is a fringe player who he needs to give game time to!!

Did you not read the actual post?

Although I attend most away games, I am certainly going to give this game a miss. Unlike the vast majority of clubs, greedy Stevenage are expecting fans to pay full price as if it were a league fixture @ £20 and no reduction for concessions! It is already beginning to look like a long hard season ahead so my boycott against Stevenage is an easy decision.

Yup, I am with you on this one. £20 is an absolute ****-take.

I'm off to Brentford v Cambridge, and the four corners challenge (that may sound easy, but I'll have limited time to do it) whilst I still have a chance. Ticket was a tenner. Sensible prices.

QPR v Bristol City, on paper a decent game, £15.

Quite what Stevenage think they're going to achieve with their pricing policy, I don't know.

Stevenage have a worse injury list than us, if we don’t get a result against this lot then we are gonna struggle all season, think we can rest certain players for this game also and still get a result in 90 minutes.

Back