• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
After the excesses of Keith Hill last weekend, this Saturday brings an altogether different type of official to the Hall. Man in charge is the (usually) very decent referee Mick Russell from St Albans.

He is a very steady official and this will be his 5th Southend match and his third at Roots Hall. His first home Southend match was also Freddie Eastwood's first match and we know what happened there! His other home game was the early season victory over Stoke.

Both of his away matches have been on the south coast; the 1-1 draw at Bournemouth when Sodje was injured and the 3-2 defeat at Brighton recently.

These 4 matches have produced just 4 cards and surprisingly he is yet to caution a Southend player (and, yes, McCormack was playing!). His normal card count is about 2 per match.

Judging by his appointments he is quite well rated by the powers that be.

A pair of assistants from Chelmsford in John Hayto and Rob Whitton with Barry Holderness wielding the numbers board.

Stockport's manager had a recent outburst claiming that Stockport had been systematically discriminated against by officials who were little short of dishonest.

http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk/page/JimGannon/0,,10419~1401473,00.html

He is not totally wrong ... although I'm not sure if he's heard from the FA yet !

Nice review as always Mick. It would be interesting to know which refs the Stockport manager has the hump with.....

Seems a bit of a scattergun attack but I'd guess Carl Boyeson and Andy Woolmer are high on his hit list as Stockport had red cards by both overturned. When a disreputable referee makes a mistake, he will sometimes be a little creative with his report in order to make the decision seem less bad.

After last time, I'm not saying anything!

Indeed, Mr Singh was a big disappointment. Since then performances have been more in line with expectation and with Grant Hegley and Keith Hill, you got exactly what I promised.

STOP PRESS: Mick Russell is injured and we have Trevor Kettle instead.

This will be his 9th League and Cup game in charge of Southend and we have 6 wins and 2 draws hitherto. The eight games have produced 39 yellow cards and 4 reds. In the past he has refereed like a complete lunatic and I'm sure he was only retained because he was married to the daughter of the guy who was in charge of FL referees.

Highlights include the 3-0 win against WBA and the two cup ties against Canvey. Lowlights include the successfully appealed sending off of Gary Richards at Oldham

This season, touch wood, things seem a little more conventional.

Hang on, he's reffed us eight times, we've never lost and you guys are complaining?!

Bloody Hell, Kettle is one of the worst referee's it has ever been my misfortune to see in action.

I guess he is consistent to both sides, consistently sh*t.

I know (or should I say "knew") Rob Whitton quite well. He made his name at a Southend game when an assistant was injured and they made the plea for a "suitably qualified referee" to take over the 4th Official role.

We both did our first "senior" games together on a weekend where there was a shortage of Class 1 (as they were then) refs. He ran the line to me at a Southend U18 game at Boots n Laces; we piled into his car and drove up the A127 where I ran the line to hime at an Essex Senior League game at Basildon.

He has done quite well for himself since then, whereas I've just become a fat, lazy, barsteward :D

I know (or should I say "knew") Rob Whitton quite well. He made his name at a Southend game when an assistant was injured and they made the plea for a "suitably qualified referee" to take over the 4th Official role.

We both did our first "senior" games together on a weekend where there was a shortage of Class 1 (as they were then) refs. He ran the line to me at a Southend U18 game at Boots n Laces; we piled into his car and drove up the A127 where I ran the line to hime at an Essex Senior League game at Basildon.

He has done quite well for himself since then, whereas I've just become a fat, lazy, barsteward :D

Alway bigging yourself up!! Just you weight(!) till I show the skinny photo's of you! The say no to Basildon photo's at Plymouth are superb!

Yes I know :hijack:

STOP PRESS: Mick Russell is injured and we have Trevor Kettle instead.

This will be his 9th League and Cup game in charge of Southend and we have 6 wins and 2 draws hitherto. The eight games have produced 39 yellow cards and 4 reds. In the past he has refereed like a complete lunatic and I'm sure he was only retained because he was married to the daughter of the guy who was in charge of FL referees.

Highlights include the 3-0 win against WBA and the two cup ties against Canvey. Lowlights include the successfully appealed sending off of Gary Richards at Oldham

This season, touch wood, things seem a little more conventional.

Mick,the writing was on the wall when Kettle showed up today like you said:clap:

Back