• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There does seem to be a hysteria surrounding RM when things don't go our way. Listen to BBC Essex during the season, and we've barely heard his name mentioned this season, up until a couple of months ago when our form went patchy, and now he's at fault and must leave the club.

I think most of us share the same opinion about RM, but I fail to see what connection there is between him and ou recent slump in form. Yes, he sacked Tilly, but to be fair, he brought in a replacement with a proven track record who rebult the club from scratch and now has us 3rd in the league. We're hardly one of League Two's small spenders this season either.... Nobody knows what state our finances are in, but he's backed PS in the transfer market thus far and we have a pretty large squad... In fact I imagine one of the largest in League Two.

If he had a rant on Tuesday evening, so what? Maybe it's not his place, but then again, maybe it is - He's not the first chairman to do so, and he won't be the last. He pays the salaries, perhaps he felt it was justified - Even if it wasn't, I'm not sure the players were in ANY position to complain about it after such an abject performance.

Finally, regarding Tara Brady - I find it ludicrous that some are suggesting his departure from the club has had such an effect on the team that we have hit this brick wall in terms of consistency. He's not the manager, he wasn't even the chairman, he was the Cheif Exec - That has NO baring on how the players play on the pitch, and if they have let it effect them, then that is quite frankly the most ridiculous excuse for poor performances since leaves on the line!! Sorry, cuts no ice with me, his leaving the club would have had no direct effect on their performance.

Top post, spot on.

There does seem to be a hysteria surrounding RM when things don't go our way. Listen to BBC Essex during the season, and we've barely heard his name mentioned this season, up until a couple of months ago when our form went patchy, and now he's at fault and must leave the club.

I think most of us share the same opinion about RM, but I fail to see what connection there is between him and ou recent slump in form. Yes, he sacked Tilly, but to be fair, he brought in a replacement with a proven track record who rebult the club from scratch and now has us 3rd in the league. We're hardly one of League Two's small spenders this season either.... Nobody knows what state our finances are in, but he's backed PS in the transfer market thus far and we have a pretty large squad... In fact I imagine one of the largest in League Two.

If he had a rant on Tuesday evening, so what? Maybe it's not his place, but then again, maybe it is - He's not the first chairman to do so, and he won't be the last. He pays the salaries, perhaps he felt it was justified - Even if it wasn't, I'm not sure the players were in ANY position to complain about it after such an abject performance.

Finally, regarding Tara Brady - I find it ludicrous that some are suggesting his departure from the club has had such an effect on the team that we have hit this brick wall in terms of consistency. He's not the manager, he wasn't even the chairman, he was the Cheif Exec - That has NO baring on how the players play on the pitch, and if they have let it effect them, then that is quite frankly the most ridiculous excuse for poor performances since leaves on the line!! Sorry, cuts no ice with me, his leaving the club would have had no direct effect on their performance.

:clap::clap: Spot on. Especially the Tara leaving = team falls apart excuse. Nonsense.

There is something definitely going on behind the scenes at the club. I have it on some authority that something is awry and it would appear that it is unsettling the team. I am afraid the person or persons who told me are sworn to secrecy and refused to elaborate but they just said that it will get resolved soon! I have been under the impression that something is not right for a few weeks to be honest.......

Just a couple of possibilities to add on here, mostly regarding Brady, etc., because although what you say does make sense, things are often different and a lot mor complicated than they seem to be on the face.

Yes, Brady was Chief Exec. But the timing his arrival (6 months or so after the Tilson debacle) said it all. RM had lost favour big time with the fans, his popularity was at an all time low, this football chairman malarky was proving difficult. So why not get in somebody who is a genuine football fan (albeit Portsmouth), let him run the footie matters, and you yourself take a step back?

The reason we didn't hear anyhting about Ron is because although he remained Chairman in name, in practice he was not. He faded into the background to concentrate on his 'speciality' of property developing, i.e. Fossetts Farm, and let Brady run the football side. RM was a ceremonial figurehead as it were, he no longer spoke to the press regarding the footballing side, took a giant step back from transfer dealings and it was all left to Brady. RM knew that he was unpopular and poor at PR/man management so he gave the reigns to someone else and it could be said that Brady was the Chairman in all but name of the footballing side of Ron's empire. We didn't hear from the bouffanted one because he wanted to become anonymous and Brady was running things fine on his own.

It is also well known that Brady was interested in football psychology. Yes he was 'Chief Exec', but he also took an interest in the psychological preparation of the players, I believe. He didn't impose himself, but he showed an interest, did some research for Sturrock and as a result, I think, he became very close and friendly with both the management and the players. I think that our Chairman, whose people skills are lacking and who seems very adept at rubbing people up the wrong way, was no longer in regular contact with the manager and Brady became the go-between, and the good relationship there meant that everything worked like a well-pile machine. Everybody knew where they stood with each other.

Also, yes these guys are footballers and they are paid to play their football. But they are also human beings. A football club's harmony is fragile, something that is difficultnto maintain as it is. If the players and the management lose someone who they see as a big ally and end up having to deal again with a Chairman with they have no/a poor relationship, that is going to upset the apple cart. There is no go between anymore. Ron is dealing with the football again which ideally I gather he'd rather not, the manager is dealing again with a chairman who is difficult to build a relationship with and people no longer know where they stand. The harmony gets disrupted, the 'well-oiled machine' starts to stutter, the manager loses confidence in himself and that rubs off on the players who are already wondering why their driend and ally has left his position as CEO.

People might think that footballers can just switch off to things that are going on behind the scenes but it's not that simple. Poor relationships, uncertainty, loss of confidence, it all filters downwards at some stage and eats away at a football club from the inside like a disease. Something is plain and simply, clearly not right behind the scenes at that football club. It is not just a loss of form or a bad patch, something has kicked off and affected the players and there is no getting away from that.

Martin's going in the dressing room and ranting at the players smacks to me of a desperate man backed into a corner knowing he is about to lose everything.

Does anyone know if the council have been onto him to pull his finger out to get the ground started, cos if I was the council, baring in mind they have given him everything he wants and needs, I would want work to start as soon as ?

Ron Martin has deluded all! However I wouldn't say that Ron is the only reason we aren't playing very well! But he could be one of those! Even if we win the league this year and he manages to build the ground which is definitely going to get built by the way....

I still want the little snake man away from my club!

I understand that lots of supporters want Ron to leave.
Let us know though when you all come up with the next owner/Chairman..with the cash to get us up and running.

Until then it is absolutely pointless listening to the continuous bleating!!

We lost because we played crap!!

Having text Tara he has replied that Ron wants to meet him Monday. Tara wants a big cheque before he chats, personally would want the cash as the penny has dropped with him finally as well!

The fact that Tara would tell you such personal business information is equally as outrageous as Ron posting personal text conversation.

If the players and manager have been this upset about Tara going..am glad he has gone. When your CEO is the pivotal member of the playing squad/management ..you have oncoming DISASTER!!!!!!!!

Tara has GONE. Southend United struggle on...lets move on!!

I have never met either Ron Martin or Tara Brady. Fact.
I have no personal axe to grind with either...so try to look at the whole picture.

On here we have people moaning that the Chairman bollocked the players at Aldershot. A reasonable opinion. The same people totally approve of Tara being "close" to players and management?? Total hypocrisy it appears!

Just an honest observation from someone who feels the split in support for the club is also a crucial element!

Even if there are events behind the scenes making for a less than harmonious atmosphere & if TB leaving was a blow to the management & playing staff, they should all be professional enough to put it behind them when they go on to the pitch.

Fact is there are some unprofessional performances from players week in week out lately & it is derailing the good work of the first half of the season.

Just a couple of possibilities to add on here, mostly regarding Brady, etc., because although what you say does make sense, things are often different and a lot mor complicated than they seem to be on the face.

Yes, Brady was Chief Exec. But the timing his arrival (6 months or so after the Tilson debacle) said it all. RM had lost favour big time with the fans, his popularity was at an all time low, this football chairman malarky was proving difficult. So why not get in somebody who is a genuine football fan (albeit Portsmouth), let him run the footie matters, and you yourself take a step back?

The reason we didn't hear anyhting about Ron is because although he remained Chairman in name, in practice he was not. He faded into the background to concentrate on his 'speciality' of property developing, i.e. Fossetts Farm, and let Brady run the football side. RM was a ceremonial figurehead as it were, he no longer spoke to the press regarding the footballing side, took a giant step back from transfer dealings and it was all left to Brady. RM knew that he was unpopular and poor at PR/man management so he gave the reigns to someone else and it could be said that Brady was the Chairman in all but name of the footballing side of Ron's empire. We didn't hear from the bouffanted one because he wanted to become anonymous and Brady was running things fine on his own.

It is also well known that Brady was interested in football psychology. Yes he was 'Chief Exec', but he also took an interest in the psychological preparation of the players, I believe. He didn't impose himself, but he showed an interest, did some research for Sturrock and as a result, I think, he became very close and friendly with both the management and the players. I think that our Chairman, whose people skills are lacking and who seems very adept at rubbing people up the wrong way, was no longer in regular contact with the manager and Brady became the go-between, and the good relationship there meant that everything worked like a well-pile machine. Everybody knew where they stood with each other.

Also, yes these guys are footballers and they are paid to play their football. But they are also human beings. A football club's harmony is fragile, something that is difficultnto maintain as it is. If the players and the management lose someone who they see as a big ally and end up having to deal again with a Chairman with they have no/a poor relationship, that is going to upset the apple cart. There is no go between anymore. Ron is dealing with the football again which ideally I gather he'd rather not, the manager is dealing again with a chairman who is difficult to build a relationship with and people no longer know where they stand. The harmony gets disrupted, the 'well-oiled machine' starts to stutter, the manager loses confidence in himself and that rubs off on the players who are already wondering why their driend and ally has left his position as CEO.

People might think that footballers can just switch off to things that are going on behind the scenes but it's not that simple. Poor relationships, uncertainty, loss of confidence, it all filters downwards at some stage and eats away at a football club from the inside like a disease. Something is plain and simply, clearly not right behind the scenes at that football club. It is not just a loss of form or a bad patch, something has kicked off and affected the players and there is no getting away from that.

I understand what you're saying about RM and TB - Yes, RM probably did bring Tara in as a PR exercise as he had fallen out catastrophically with the supporters, and by bringing in a football man, who was also financially well off, it was a win-win situation.

I can also buy that he was close to the players and the management and they may well have been sad to see him go, however, what people are maybe forgetting is with the exception of Grant, there is nobody at our club carrying the baggage of what happened a couple of years ago with RM. They don't care what happened in the past, and just because Tara has left and RM is now having to take a keener interest in the club, it won't impact their day to day work at the club, or what happens on a Saturday afternoon.

My Godson was mascot for the Crewe game last week, and speaking to his Dad who was in the dressing room before the game, he said he was amazed at how good the atmosphere was between the players, and how together they seemed. He is a manager of a team himself and he said that there is no way that was faked or put on - they are together, and there is a great spirit in there.

Sometimes, a team can just lose form - Sometimes there is no reason, it just happens. Sometimes, there can be a number of factors effecting it - tiredness, players carrying knocks, players losing form, other teams raising their game because we're near the top of the league, and most importantly, a loss of confidence, which is what we are suffering.

There is always a huge post mortem every time we lose - well that happens in football. Better teams than us have suffered serious problems in terms of their form this season - Arsenal and Chelsea to name but two.

I think rather than going on a witch hunt, perhaps us as fans need back these players to the hilt and play our part in remedying our lack of form. We don't help ourselves - Andy Scott's comments after the Rotherham game said it all - He couldn't believe the reaction of our supporters towards their own team, especially as we were top of the league!!

We then wonder why our home form is poor - Well would you like to play in front of a cauldron of boos, moaning and abuse just because we're not 3-0 up in the first 10 minutes??

Anyone supporting Martin has obviously never lent him money or supplied him with services.
I support Southend United..not any individual.

You give me an alternative to back, someone with the means to buy the club, develop the stadium and support the financial side with investment - and I will listen.

You don't. You just moan but offer no aleternative!

There is something definitely going on behind the scenes at the club. I have it on some authority that something is awry and it would appear that it is unsettling the team. I am afraid the person or persons who told me are sworn to secrecy and refused to elaborate but they just said that it will get resolved soon! I have been under the impression that something is not right for a few weeks to be honest.......
I have that feeling as well............without any anonymous source. Perhaps I want to believe that because other explanations are too onorous and depressing to accept. Your source was considerate enough to leave us with a chink of light at the end of the tunnel..........."it will get resolved soon"...................soon, can't be soon enough! You could ask your connection whether we will come to know what exactly the problem was......when it is eventually solved.

Very good post and really what I was trying to say but put in a 100 times better way.

It now turns out Tara was some kind of Guru, giving players help with their psychological problems.(really)

Ron it seems is the devil incarnate who only has to look at a player the wrong way and the player hoofs it instead of passing.

Ron cuts corners, doesn't pay his bills until forced to do so, tries to avoid as much tax as possible and is a hard headed business man who doesn't make friends that easily.
If you were in business you would know that the above traits apply to almost every successful businessman in this country.
He has put the club (to his mind) in a position to succeed. To him this would mean getting a top football manager for this level and giving him the resources to spend on players. At the same time working on improving football facilities.
Why do the Ron haters want it both ways? Congratulate Sturrock on a long streak of wins and bemoan Ron when we lose.
Also it all started going wrong long before Tara left.
You find out if your manager is good or not when the team is in a slump, if he turns it around he's good. If however we continue the way we currently are then for sure the MANAGER has failed and NOT RON.

I support Southend United..not any individual.

You give me an alternative to back, someone with the means to buy the club, develop the stadium and support the financial side with investment - and I will listen.

You don't. You just moan but offer no aleternative!

If Martin wanted to sell or part sell his involvement then I am sure there would be plenty of people interested in taking over. Every club, including ours, has had various changes of ownership in their history. The problem as we all know is that Martin wants to hang on at all costs.

Back