• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strengthening the squad

Personally I’d like him to stay, he’s clearly been a positive for Colin and the club itself. From my understanding, if a better offer came along (money/role/higher up the pyramid) then he’d likely take it.

Unfortunately, just like Colin, I suspect DM already has some suitors waiting in the wings.
Whilst he enjoys coaching and is proud of the progress Collin has made with him, he still wants to play and feels he can do a job on the pitch. So if he's not going to be playing regularly here, it might be a tough job to keep hold of him.

If he leaves, then it's with my thanks and gratitude, and recognition that certainly as a coach, he is probably some way above our level.

Dave Martin isn't just highly regarded as a goalkeeping coach. He has had a positive impact on defensive coaching/organisation more generally. Another reason Kev is keen he stays I think. And he can remain goalkeeping cover.

Collin is potentially as good as Dan Bentley. Not sure him signing a new contract was a bad move on his part given he is u24 - so fee either way and no doubt it moved him from peanuts to something more like the rest of the team.

I think the focus is if the offer is right for both club and player. From our side as always we need to be aiming for an upgrade as its a key position. That's a challenge.

From his he needs to be playing. Nathan Bishop went to Man U, didn't play then a season at Mansfield and played every game, Then sold to Sunderland and hasn't played a league game in 2 years whilst he gets splinters. Would going from us to a top L2 club have been better- 200+ games by now then a move to the Championsip and playing who knows. You get paid a lot of money for sitting on the bench and watching games at Prem/Championship level but if it was me I would need to be playing meanginful matches every week? I am sure a Prem/Championship club or two will be in for him and as so many before him the lure will be to great despite the above.

Whilst he enjoys coaching and is proud of the progress Collin has made with him, he still wants to play and feels he can do a job on the pitch. So if he's not going to be playing regularly here, it might be a tough job to keep hold of him.

If he leaves, then it's with my thanks and gratitude, and recognition that certainly as a coach, he is probably some way above our level.
That the question at his age. Is he happy being a number 2 and developing the coaching which is where his career will soon have to go. Or being a number 1 in NL/NLS for maybe a couple of seasons that he could have spent developing the coaching side here. Choices I guess..

It’s been great to see the progress from Colin I was lucky enough to spend a good year with him at college before he made he’s move to shrimpers .

He a top guy and got unbelievable dedication be a shame to see him move on but as other say if gives us bit of cash to invest elsewhere ie decent cam/ striker .

Then we can pick up a solid proven GK that played at this level .

Precisely.

We’ll do well to keep hold of him, and like you, he’ll get my appreciation if that doesn’t happen.

That the question at his age. Is he happy being a number 2 and developing the coaching which is where his career will soon have to go. Or being a number 1 in NL/NLS for maybe a couple of seasons that he could have spent developing the coaching side here. Choices I guess..

I’m not sure about NL/NLS, but I believe there are clubs higher up the football league who would like to have a proper chat with DM.

I wouldn't be unhappy with DM being No1 if Collin moved on and that's what DM/Kev wanted
DM in goal doesn’t concern me, but I’m not sure he needs to be first choice over a 46 game + season. Certainly a man who can provide cover and work with a younger keeper as we’ve seen.

Nick Hayes has been mentioned. He was OK when we had him, but we must remember that if Collin does go, we don’t have to replace him with someone we’ve had before - lots of good young keepers out there whose clubs would like them to get a season of first team football.

He hadnt played for a number of seasons when he took over from Colin when injured. if he was so keen to be playing why hasnt he. He has played 25 games since 2017, hardly someone desperate to be playing. At 38 i would have thought the chance to forge a coaching career would be a good start with us. He certainly never mentioned playing when i spoke to him more the coaching side

DM in goal doesn’t concern me, but I’m not sure he needs to be first choice over a 46 game + season. Certainly a man who can provide cover and work with a younger keeper as we’ve seen.

Nick Hayes has been mentioned. He was OK when we had him, but we must remember that if Collin does go, we don’t have to replace him with someone we’ve had before - lots of good young keepers out there whose clubs would like them to get a season of first team football.
The point I guess is that we may lose DM as he allegedly still aspires to playing - my point is that why not be No1 here (assuming Collin leaves)

Didn't we have a post earlier in the season, that Ipswich were interested in DM. If there was any truth in that, then he would surely be making a recommendation.to them about Collin.

If those two pieces of a jigsaw fitted then could there be a bit of room for negotiation with Hayes?

I know it's 2+2x3 equals 27, but it's how some deals do work.

Reactions: GBJ
I thought Hayes was excellent. He was unbelievable at Boringwood away and was the sole reason we got anything out of that game. We could do a whole lot worse
Hayes was excellent in all but one aspect, which was playing out from the back. He looked better at Solihull, who also play that way, so maybe he can still improve, but he’d be a huge downgrade from Collin in our ability to build from the back and that’s such a big part of our game plan.

He hadnt played for a number of seasons when he took over from Colin when injured. if he was so keen to be playing why hasnt he. He has played 25 games since 2017, hardly someone desperate to be playing. At 38 i would have thought the chance to forge a coaching career would be a good start with us. He certainly never mentioned playing when i spoke to him more the coaching side
I literally spoke to him on Sunday night at the Awards Night, so I can only go by that. The impression I got was that he's really enjoying the coaching and improving Collin, but would still like to be playing.

I literally spoke to him on Sunday night at the Awards Night, so I can only go by that. The impression I got was that he's really enjoying the coaching and improving Collin, but would still like to be playing.
fair enough, he didnt say he didnt want to play but all he talked about was the coaching side. As i said he is 38 and played 25 games since 2017. Not sure who would take him on as a No1. Id happily have him with us coaching and maybe play as an emergency but cant see where he will get regular game time with the lack of game time in 6-7 years

I thought Hayes was excellent. He was unbelievable at Boringwood away and was the sole reason we got anything out of that game. We could do a whole lot worse
When Nick Hayes was picking up the ball out of the net for the third time, up at Solihull Moors, I shouted out to Nick “Bet you wish you were still at Southend?”
To which he gave a subtle nod and smiled back to me.

He’ll be back fellow Shrimpers!

Depends on who leaves. I see this summer's rumour mill is already whirring into life.

Assuming no loss of players we need:

• Backup GK (unless Dave Martin re-registers)
  • Left footed defender
  • Wide attacker
  • Striker (maybe 2 or one loan)
And that's it. Cheers all, see you in August!

Back