• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Striker

Stats

aka Ian Poulter
Talking to Tilly the other night seems he has tried to get every other decent striker available

They either have too high wage demands or dont wanna move south

Anyone got any other suggestions who we could go for - within reason

What ever happened to the Lee Boylan suggestions and I for one would like to see Steve Ferguson of Woking given a chance. Ex-Spurs, think he probably knows Gower. Did not have one of the best last season but is great with the ball at his feet and can terrorise defences when he goes on a run.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ July 15 2005,09:07)]Agogo.
Yep. And Holt and Tyson.

We've shown with Beckett that we have the funds to land one of these players - we should try and get one of them.

What happened with Tyson by the way? IIRC it was strongly rumoured that Tilly was interested some time ago...

I thought I read somewhere that Tilly's original target wasn't out of the question - I take that as meaning Grant Holt. Although he's signed a new contract at Rochdale, that is pretty meaningless. If we've got enough money to tempt Beckett, we've got enough to get Holt!

Given that Gary Johnson and Kenny Jackett were after him too, I'd say he'd be a pretty useful addition to our squad.

£200k for Holt would be tempting to them Im sure. Hed be the perfect foil for Freddy in my opinion. I dont think Tyson would move.

Kenny Deuchar from Gretna would be good!..

rock.gif
wink.gif

As SBH says, trust in Tilly & Brush.
I know the start of the season (& the transfer window) is counting down rather quickly now, but every avenue they're trying to explore will be for the best in the long-term for this football club.

I'd say try again for Holt or Tyson or alternatively, try & get a highly rated player from a EPL club who's looking to get a year's 1st team experience rather than a season of reserve team/Carling Cup football, such as Nardiello last year going from Man Utd to Barnsley. What about Ndumbu-Nsungu (or whatever he's called) from Arsenal?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 15 2005,10:09)]Anyone else think Sir Les could do a job given that he's willing to play one more season?
Honestly - no I don't... fair call, but no I don't think he's up to it.

He's slow as molasses and would not give us the firepower we need. Nor would he be able to play 50 games a season, which with only 2 other strikers on the books, we would need him to at least be able to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ July 15 2005,10:03)]Kenny Deuchar from Gretna would be good!..

rock.gif
wink.gif
Nah, he's only a part-time player (he's actually a doctor, although he was I believe, a full-time footballer from Christmas) & although he can score goals, he's doing it in a division that makes the Ryman League look like the Championship. Plus, Gretna are probably paying big money (this is in no way a Wiggy-esque dig at Ron Martin), the guy who owns the club is desperate for SPL football at whatever cost. This is the reason why they have a number of SPL players in their team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 15 2005,10:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 15 2005,10:09)]Anyone else think Sir Les could do a job given that he's willing to play one more season?

He's slow as molasses and would not give us the firepower we need. Nor would he be able to play 50 games a season, which with only 2 other strikers on the books, we would need him to at least be able to.
See where you're coming from but I'm talking about Ferdinand as one who could maybe play 20-25 games next season as one of 4 strikers (obviously if Dudfield doesn't return we'll need another, Holt would be ideal). His experience in leading the line would be of benefit and he could help Freddy and the others enormously given his experience. I still think he'd get goals at L1 level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 15 2005,10:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 15 2005,10:11)]
[b said:

See where you're coming from but I'm talking about Ferdinand as one who could maybe play 20-25 games next season as one of 4 strikers (obviously if Dudfield doesn't return we'll need another, Holt would be ideal). His experience in leading the line would be of benefit and he could help Freddy and the others enormously given his experience. I still think he'd get goals at L1 level.
Would he not want stupid money though just for playing a bit part over the season?

I mean helicopters aren't cheap to run you know!
tounge.gif

Holt would be ideal, but after their show of defiance earlier in the summer, I just can't see Rochdale being in the slightest bit interested in letting him go.

rock.gif

me and Leeboy mooted Sir Les to Tilly on weds. I was pro, Leeboy was con. Tilly was being diplomatic and wouldnt take either side..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ July 15 2005,10:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 15 2005,10:33)]Holt would be ideal, but after their show of defiance earlier in the summer, I just can't see Rochdale being in the slightest bit interested in letting him go.

rock.gif
Plus they've lost CKR to Brighton already for a decent fee and maybe don't need the money as much as they did in May!
Erm.. CKR played for Bury

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ July 15 2005,10:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ July 15 2005,10:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 15 2005,10:33)]Holt would be ideal, but after their show of defiance earlier in the summer, I just can't see Rochdale being in the slightest bit interested in letting him go.

rock.gif
Plus they've lost CKR to Brighton already for a decent fee and maybe don't need the money as much as they did in May!
Erm.. CKR played for Bury

oops.gif
Exactly, that's why I've edited that.
Forgive me, it's some god forsaken L2 dump in the North-West, easy to get confused!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 15 2005,10:39)]me and Leeboy mooted Sir Les to Tilly on weds. I was pro, Leeboy was con. Tilly was being diplomatic and wouldnt take either side..
He didnt want to hurt your feelings by laughing in your face, Naps.

Back