• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimper Neil

Youth Team
I loved BBBC as much as the next man and will always remember him fondly.... And that's where it ends.

He was/is a useful league two player. The fact that he was our top scorer said more about our lack of alternatives rather than his ability. Cambridge offered him a better deal and he went for it. At the age of 30 with his injury record who can blame him. The fact that we didn't try to keep him is no big deal. I would have worried more we had offered him a big deal and built our league one attack around him.

Joe Piggott - pretty useful and I would be happy to have him in the squad next season but not hugely fussed if not. He wants to fight for a place at Charlton, fair enough but from what I've seen he is league two / maybe league one at best.

Brown needs to get ideally three strikers in. I'm sure he has known this for sometime. With the players released and those that have moved on, we should have the budget to do this. We got promoted on the back of our defensive record and strength in depth in midfield. If we keep the key players and add some pace up front I'm sure we will do pretty well next year.

Agreed, disappointed that Corr has left but also looking forward to who we will bring in. Need 3 players, all of them bringing something different to the table.

Should be looking at great non league talents in the same way posh do and continually make a fortune.

Should be looking at great non league talents in the same way posh do and continually make a fortune.

True. Apart from Eastwood I can't remember a player we plucked from Non-league and made money on. Gary Hooper perhaps but it was more of a mistake to not hold onto him for longer

True. Apart from Eastwood I can't remember a player we plucked from Non-league and made money on. Gary Hooper perhaps but it was more of a mistake to not hold onto him for longer

Not a striker I know, but Coker's been another very successful signing from non-league. I do think it would be worth taking a chance on non-league talent a bit more often, you will get some players that don't make the grade but I doubt anyone signed would cost that much in terms of wages.

Think that's a good idea, but also think we should fork out a bit on a proven league striker (perhaps at a league 1/Championship club currently, but not getting as much game time as they would like).

Good strikers aren't easy to come by though, and it's slightly concerning to me that we currently have no strikers (apart from maybe Jason Williams). Hope Brown comes good and gets some decent deals done.

Not a striker I know, but Coker's been another very successful signing from non-league. I do think it would be worth taking a chance on non-league talent a bit more often, you will get some players that don't make the grade but I doubt anyone signed would cost that much in terms of wages.

Not to mention Michael Knightley (another one from Grays Athletic). Sadly not much picking from them these days.

However, I completely agree about plucking a player from the Conference Premier etc (as we did from the above names, that went on to bigger clubs, but with eastwood aside, hopefully we can drive a decent fee for them, or remain in the squad scoring goals).

I agree and think also that the "posh" also have done it right in using this method of scouting and obtaining the upcoming talented youths, developing them further through better more intesnse coaching that higher proffesional clubs such as us can do, and then sell them on for a profit (if we cant hold onto them to gain club success).

Im not sure if John Akinde (Barnet) has been mentioned before, but i personally feel he is ready to up his game to league 1, he is kinda a local boy (well Camberwell, London) and seems to play better and feel more settled for southern sides as apose to northern clubs that he has played for. Granted he didnt do to well at Portsmouth.

But he has scored:

2 goals in 5 games for Gravesend at the age of 17
8 goals in 23 games for Ebbslfeet at the age of 18
7 goals in 11 games for Wycombe at the age of 20
18 goals in 42 games for Alferton at the age of 24
31 goals in 45 games for Barnet at the age of 25

I guess my point is that he seems to be coming of age, he basically single handedly (or should i say footed) got Barnet promoted back into the professional football league, his only 25 years old but seems to have a natural eye for goal, being 25 and 6ft 2, he is pacey, solid and keen to progress his career, only sticking point would probably be he still has a year left on his contract. and as Barnet view him as our "eastwood" of the era .. and what with Barnets promotion, this may cost us a small penny? who knows? but definatley one realistic player I would like to see on our team sheet come match day.

Last edited:
There are two simple solutions to our lack of strike force:

1 ) We go 4 -6 -0 (which should reduce the number of threads on here regarding whether we play 1 or 2 up front).

2) Open the war chest Ron :)

Last edited:
So we need to be looking at an up and coming Non-league superstar with Championship & L1 experience and a proven record that we can sell on and make money....Off you go Phillip...easy job.

So we need to be looking at an up and coming Non-league superstar with Championship & L1 experience and a proven record that we can sell on and make money....Off you go Phillip...easy job.

You forgot to mention must have pace and a 25 goal a season stats. Will also have no interest in money as we will pay half of what a bigger club can afford.

You forgot to mention must have pace and a 25 goal a season stats. Will also have no interest in money as we will pay half of what a bigger club can afford.

You don't mean Cambridge do you?

Not to mention Michael Knightley (another one from Grays Athletic). Sadly not much picking from them these days.

Didn't he go to Grays from us, rather than the other way round? Wolves were the ones that picked him up from Grays

We clearly now need probably 3 new strikers , all hopefully ones with an eye for goal !
However , I hope people don't get bogged down again with the idea that this is our sole problem area.
Bringing in new strikers does not make everything rosey in the garden.
We do have some decent , solid midfielders in Timlin , Deegan , Leonard , Atkinson and Worrall.
I would however suggest they are quite similar in respect of 'graft' winning out over 'guile'.
Get the strikers in of course , but if we lack ability to create chances , then we could struggle.
I think this also happened quite a lot last season ( especially at home ) and the strikers took more of the blame than maybe they should have.

We also plucked Clohessy and Ryan Hall from non league and they did pretty well.

I have a feeling Paynes going to be a big part of Browns plans next year. I'll miss Barry out of sentiment, but honestly feel a bit of pace will create the space that we need for our midfielders that at times we were struggling for last season.

I suspect our attack will, like in recent seasons, be supplemented by loanees.

I suspect sir that you are correct.

In my book we need at least 4 new strikers to allow for injuries/suspensions and options from the bench

I agree with mattitouk's assessment. I think John Akinde flattered to deceive early in his career, but he now seems to have used the conference league to build consistency and confidence to add to his undoubted talent

If Southend want Akinde they will have to move very fast indeed and be prepared to pay a substantial sum.

I have a feeling Paynes going to be a big part of Browns plans next year. I'll miss Barry out of sentiment, but honestly feel a bit of pace will create the space that we need for our midfielders that at times we were struggling for last season.

Completely agree with this. Payne's style of play didn't compliment League Two football, but with the (hopeful) step up in quality in League One, having Payne's pace, clever movement and driving forward runs will be integral to our attacking options.

Back