• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

bentley
white
thompson
phillips
coker
hurst
laird
clifford
attkinson
eastwood
corr

prosser was awful sat

In my honest opinion, although early days:

Bentley
White (c) Phillips Prosser Coker
Hurst Laird Leonard Atkinson
Corr Eastwood

Subs: P. Smith (GK), Straker, Thompson, Timlin, Clifford, Reid, Woodrow

Bentley White, Thompson, Phillips, Bennett Hurst, Laird, Leonard, Atkinson Eastwood, Corr Priorities are to sign on loan or permanent a Centre Back and a midfield player who will score 8 to 10 goals a season and maybe a wide player who will go past opponents.

Strongest 11 on paper doesn't always translate to best team on the day. When you've got so many players clearly having an off day and little apparent leadership on the pitch Saturday's game comes as no surprise. I wouldn't tinker too much. Timlin will be better for his time on the pitch. It's going to take him 2-3 games to get back on track, dropping him to bench achieves nothing. Maybe Atkinson for Straker and Corr on at HT if we're not breaking them down. Back four I can't believe will have a collective shocker like that again.

I can't believe anyone is leaving Laird out of our strongest XI. Can anyone work out our win ratio with him in the side compared to when he isn't playing? The solidity he gives to the midfield is noticeable when he isn't playing, ala Saturday. We were so weak down the middle and thats where 2 of the 3 goals came from.

Smith
White Thompson Prosser Coker
Atkinson Laird Leonard Straker
Eastwood Corr

Dan in goal has been okay but i think Smith deserves a shot in goal. I like Phillips but i think he really will struggle. Id also keep Atkinson on the right as he loves to run at defences not sure hurst is that same sort of player. Laird (who we are really missing) and Leonard in middle looked really good and Straker just for his pace. Corr hasn't looked the same since Plymouth game but we lacked his height at the weekend and seeing as we just loved to pump the ball to Morecambes 7foot defenders we need Corrs strength too!

Torn between Smith and Bentley - appreciate I am in a minority on that.

RB - White
CB - Thompson and Phiilips
LB - Coker

LW Atkinson
CM - Timlin & Laird
RM - Hurst

AT - Freddy and Corr.

Smith had plenty of chances last season and was woeful on many occasions. Yes he is a shot stopper but that is literally it, he has no presence, no voice and is a liability on crosses for a man of for his size.

If as some seem to be saying (usual moaners because Bentley has conceded a few now) that Bentley and Smith are on par then I would rather have our local lad and youth product starting his career than a journeyman coming to the end of his.

Smith had plenty of chances last season and was woeful on many occasions. Yes he is a shot stopper but that is literally it, he has no presence, no voice and is a liability on crosses for a man of for his size.

If as some seem to be saying (usual moaners because Bentley has conceded a few now) that Bentley and Smith are on par then I would rather have our local lad and youth product starting his career than a journeyman coming to the end of his.

Agree with most of that, but can't see how Smith is a journeyman. 4 years at Brentford and 6 at Forest would suggest he stays at a club for a while. A journeyman for me is someone who spends at most 2-3 seasons at a club before moving on, meaning they probably play for 6+ teams.

Agree with most of that, but can't see how Smith is a journeyman. 4 years at Brentford and 6 at Forest would suggest he stays at a club for a while. A journeyman for me is someone who spends at most 2-3 seasons at a club before moving on, meaning they probably play for 6+ teams.

Gavin Tomlin if you will.

Stick with Bentley he's not done owt wrong. Smith will get his chance down the line. Bentley bags of potential and done ok so stick with him. Smith if needed will come in and be fine. To say Smith was woeful last season is utter *****.

The Analyst in me meant I couldn't not total up the collective Shrimperzone thoughts to find out what the strongest XI is based on the majority vote.

Shoe in's with a 100% of the votes are Eastwood and captain White, the rest is as follows;

21 - Eastwood & White
19 - Coker, Corr & Laird
18 - Atkinson, Bentley & Hurst
16 - Phillips & Prosser
15 - Leonard
10 - Timlin
9 - Thompson
5 - Smith
2 - Clifford, Straker & Woodrow
1 - Bennett & Read

Based on that our team would be;

GK :Bentley

RB : White
LB : Coker
CB : Prosser
CB : Phillips

RM :Hurst
LM :Atkinson
CM :Laird
CM :Leonard

ST :Eastwood
ST :Corr

S1 : Timlin
S2 : Thompson
S3 : Smith
S4 : Clifford
S5 : Straker
S6 : Woodrow
S7 : Read or Bennett

Interesting that the player that was receiving the majority of the rave reviews early on, only gets two votes, in Straker.

Edit: Should of said, it includes my choice of:

GK: Bentley

RB: White
LB: Coker
CB: Prosser
CB: Phillips

RM: Hurst
LM: Atkinson
CM: Timlin
CM: Laird

ST: Eastwood
ST: Corr

I realise that Leonard has been very good, but I feel that with Timlin coming up to speed the sum of all parts within this team would outweigh the individual performances of one player.

id be tempted to give smith a run in the side. sometimes i think experience is overlooked, and ive seen on quite a few occasions teams with young goalkeepers not knowing why they are conceding too many goals. they switch the young keeper who appears to have not done much wrong for a seemingly inferior older keeper and his presence makes the difference. bentleys time will come, and soon, but i think the team would benefit from an older head at the moment.

Back