• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sturrock - complete idiot ?

So will we see Mr Roy Hodgson in the national press tomorrow laying into his underperforming over paid prima donnas who were so woeful tonght that they don't deserve their weeks wages?

Irony of ironies! :D

The majority of my posts are quite long and thought though brigadista - have a look through my posting history for reference. I do retain the right though, like everybody else, to make brief comments occasionally. Maybe you're confusing 'not agreeing with brigidista' with 'offering nothing to the thread'... Vague insinuations? From you?! Pot. Kettle. Black.

I dont know brigadista , but hes got it pretty spot on, you are one of the biggest plums about

He's trying to stir them up a bit, make them a bit argry (except Corr I hope) and show them what level of effort he expects. He won't be saying this kind of thing regularly in a couple of months. Maybe he did phrase it unfortunately, but to think we weren't paying Francis or Grant for their play last season it is ironic that Prosser will get his wages after that

personally thought his comments were warranted after that display, particularly the part about the squad being rush assembled and if the players dont perform he'll clear them out and get ones that do! im a tilly fan but the like i says and the rub of the green comments were getting so old.
far to early to judge sturrock IMO, in some respects too early to judge the squad, but any more losses and we'll be stuck to the bottom of the lowest league, and all this "too early to judge" and "need time to gel" wont matter as we'll be ****ed.

personally thought his comments were warranted after that display, particularly the part about the squad being rush assembled and if the players dont perform he'll clear them out and get ones that do! im a tilly fan but the like i says and the rub of the green comments were getting so old.
far to early to judge sturrock IMO, in some respects too early to judge the squad, but any more losses and we'll be stuck to the bottom of the lowest league, and all this "too early to judge" and "need time to gel" wont matter as we'll be ****ed.

So realistically what is the expectation this season?

Great comment from Sturrock after Saturdays game - "My players don't deserve their wages".
Either he has been on another planet the last few months, is totally insensitive to the previous players and what we as fans have had to put up with or he is just a complete idiot.

Last point - please Mr Sturrock we have just gone round the loop of players not getting paid, please don't start giving Ron Martin ideas on the new batch of players not being paid.
Ron does avery good job indeed in ensuring his staff don't get paid without you goading him.

What we have had to put up with... which is what? and to be honest, I personally think your creating a fuss for nothing, it was the best thing he could have said... they don't deserve it, and it plays on the simple humor of many people on here. Like yourself! But then a gain, you obviously don't get it, so maybe you are more simple than possible

What we have had to put up with... which is what? and to be honest, I personally think your creating a fuss for nothing, it was the best thing he could have said... they don't deserve it, and it plays on the simple humor of many people on here. Like yourself! But then a gain, you obviously don't get it, so maybe you are more simple than possible
So where have you been for the last two seasons ?

Agree with you and DWB on this completely. I think we're all getting pretty used to a small but noisy posse of respondents drowning out opinions that dont comply with the black and white 'Tilly is God' and 'Ron is satan's lovechild' tunnel vision view of the world. Whilst we probably all sympathise with those statements to a greater or lesser extent, rarely is the reality of life that simple or one-dimensional...

I'm not so sure it's that small but I think you will find this statement goes both ways.

Tilly = Most successful manager in the clubs history

Ron = Has nearly destroyed the club over the last 12 months and nothing is guaranteed where he is concerned.

So forgive me for having tunnel vision and not living in the reality of life but I think you will find that's why me and others find the lack of respect for Tillys achievements very poor. I would love to still have him here, however our clown of a chairman clearly didn't.

As for PS I hope his comments were for the right reasons and he was just ****ed off with his crap players rather than deflecting the crap from his own door.

I'm not so sure it's that small but I think you will find this statement goes both ways.

Ron = Has nearly destroyed the club over the last 12 months and nothing is guaranteed where he is concerned.

So forgive me for having tunnel vision and not living in the reality of life but I think you will find that's why me and others find the lack of respect for Tillys achievements very poor. I would love to still have him here, however our clown of a chairman clearly didn't.

As for PS I hope his comments were for the right reasons and he was just ****ed off with his crap players rather than deflecting the crap from his own door.

He didnt though - he said in his interview "blame Paul Sturrock for the team selection, blame Paul Sturrock for the defeat - I can take that off the fans. I cannot take that though *points to dressing room*..."

Something like that.

Selective hearing from Zoners again!! :)

Is he not? Most of the players he signed are his old mates! Plus his son thrown in for good measure!

What I mean is;

He is a good manager and is a very likeable bloke, you are right that is why these players have come to play for us.
But he gives no excuses for the players, If his interview after the PV game is anything to go by, he can't have been that friendly in the dressing room after the game.
While being the players' 'mate' he also distances himself from the players very slightly, which gives him a lot of authority!

Thought it was a terrible statement from Sturrock, we lost 3 -1 not 8 nil!!! If anyone should not get their wages then it should be him, he's the one that picked the squad, he's the manager who has to get the best out of them, he's the one who seems to be slagging them off after only a handful of games. I understand his frustration, but get a grip! Not the best man management I have ever witnessed.

Let's be honest he is never going to win with whatever he says. Personally I would sooner this than all the excuses we are used to hearing. I think it is good people management as it keeps them on their toes and they know that they have to fight for their places. Not pussy footing around, just speaks as he finds.

I don't see many people disrespecting Tilson's achievements or even ignoring his contribution to the club over the last few years, the donations made to his fund on here will testify to this. What I see are people willing to accept that he's gone, he's not coming back, and are willing to give the new guy a fair crack of the whip which, given our situation, is the best we can do.

He didnt though - he said in his interview "blame Paul Sturrock for the team selection, blame Paul Sturrock for the defeat - I can take that off the fans. I cannot take that though *points to dressing room*..."

Something like that.

Selective hearing from Zoners again!! :)

I haven't listened to it PB, just going by what has been said on the thread. By all accounts going by your quote he is taking responsibility for it which no one can really moan about. As has been said these are now HIS players, so he really doesn't have anywhere to hide.

Let's be honest he is never going to win with whatever he says.

Exactly, following on from who I'd say 95% of Shrimpers would agree is the club's most successful manager & legend is going to be a thankless task. I can imagine people would still be wary of him even if the unthinkable happened and we did get promoted twice in 2 years again. This is even before you take into account the negativity and hatred people feel towards the chairman.

I don't see many people disrespecting Tilson's achievements or even ignoring his contribution to the club over the last few years, the donations made to his fund on here will testify to this. What I see are people willing to accept that he's gone, he's not coming back, and are willing to give the new guy a fair crack of the whip which, given our situation, is the best we can do.

There was about a 10 page thread moaning about people doing it a couple of weeks back, it all came to a head after the Bristol City result.

There's not one consistent thread where people are disprecting Steve, but there are countelss snide little digs at both T&B all over the place.

Couldn't attract the right sort of players, lost the dressing room, tactically clueless, naive substitutions etc etc etc

There was about a 10 page thread moaning about people doing it a couple of weeks back, it all came to a head after the Bristol City result.

There's not one consistent thread where people are disprecting Steve, but there are countelss snide little digs at both T&B all over the place.

I'm not sure they are always sly digs, as those were criticisms levelled at Tilson by some even whilst he was here and still reverred. I don't think it is insulting or disrespectful to not hold Tilson up as being 100% perfect and there can be specific valids points about his management that may not have been perfect even though he was one of the greatest managers this club has had. THere seems to be a genuine issue with some fans considering anything in support of Sturrock is disrespectful to Tilson, wheras I don't consider loving Tilson and supporting Sturrock to be neccessarily mutually exclusive.....

Sorry ESB i disagree, The comments made on here regarding Tilly being lucky for having Eastwood and the Goat, the fact he should of gone 3 seasons ago, that no one came in for him so couldn't of been that good, etc is in my opinion disrespectful. The man bled blue, i don't mind criticism to his management style but again people forget he is still a relatively young manager.

I have on a number of threads agreed that we do have to support PS, However if the Anti Tilly brigade continue to bad mouth and disrespect him then it only will ignite the flames, in the same way that the Tilly supporters will if they comment that under Tilly this or that wouldn't of happened.

Personally i can see this running and running, but it makes for good debate thats for sure.

Not every comment should be held as disrespectful, though, as people will formulate their own opinions on one manager's strengths and weaknesses. Saying that Tilson made naive substitutions or wasn't a tactical genius isn't disrespectful per se, it's merely a critcism and, particularly in case with his substitutions, one that bares weight considering how often that was brought up during his tenure. If someone was to say "I'm glad PS has replaced that clueless, contact-less moron," then fair enough, but merely making points about his managerial attributes isn't something to lose too much sleep over as, after all, they're opinions and we've all got them.

Back