• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Well, the Centenary Roll of Honour vote continues - in an extremely hard fought contest for the 1956-66 berth in the Roll of Honour, Sandy Anderson pipped Roy Hollis and Sammy McCrory to the post with 36% of the vote.

Next up, it's 1966-76, which I suspect will be even more hard-fought, between:

* Tony Bentley
* Billy Best
* Arthur Rowley

Phew, this isn't going to get any easier, is it?  1976-86 will presumably be between Dave Smith, Paul Clark and one other (Spence, Moody, Pountney, Phillips, Stead, Cadette, Bobby Moore...?).

1986-96 will be even tougher - maybe Webby, Chrissy P and one other (Stan, Sammy, Bretty, Spinner, Peter Butler, Marsh...?).

1996-06, oddly, is going to be really, really easy.  Does Tilly have any competitors for that period?! Kev Maher (now 5th in the all-time appearances table, incidentally) is the only one I can think of...

rock.gif

Anyhow, check out the website for the 1966-76 vote:

clicky

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 01 2006,12:27)]Well, the Centenary Roll of Honour vote continues - in an extremely hard fought contest for the 1956-66 berth in the Roll of Honour, Sandy Anderson pipped Roy Hollis and Sammy McCrory to the post with 36% of the vote.

* Tony Bentley
* Billy Best
* Arthur Rowley

Phew, this isn't going to get any easier, is it?  1976-86 will presumably be between Dave Smith, Paul Clark and one other (Spence, Pountney, Phillips, Stead, Cadette, Bobby Moore...?).

1986-96 will be even tougher - maybe Webby, Chrissy P and one other (Stan, Sammy, Bretty, Spinner, Peter Butler, Marsh...?).

1996-06, oddly, is going to be really, really easy.  Does Tilly have any competitors for that period?!

rock.gif

clicky
Tony Bentley for the reason that he still comes and watches Southend.

the rest will be easy - Dave Smith (81 title), Dave Webb (back to back promotions) and Tilly

although in the age of the internet, dont be surprised to see eastwood up there.

Well the only person who would have any chance would be Maher and thats mainly on the strength of the ammount of time hes been at the club!

I can see the choices as...
Steve Tilson
Kevin Maher
Ron Martin

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 01 2006,12:32)]although in the age of the internet, dont be surprised to see eastwood up there.
That would be daft. Freddy is ace, but in no way should he be a genuine contender compared to Tilly for the roll of honour...

suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ June 01 2006,12:34)]Well the only person who would have any chance would be Maher and thats mainly on the strength of the ammount of time hes been at the club!

Steve Tilson
Kevin Maher
Ron Martin
Oddly, I agree with you that that's what it should be - but is Ron the sort of guy that would let his name be put forward?  I doubt it...

rock.gif

Tilly, Maher and either Flavs or Freddy for the 96-06 poll, I reckon.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 01 2006,13:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ June 01 2006,12:34)]Well the only person who would have any chance would be Maher and thats mainly on the strength of the ammount of time hes been at the club!

Steve Tilson
Kevin Maher
Ron Martin
Odddly, I agree with you that that's what it should be - but is Ron the sort of guy that would let his name be put forward?  I doubt it...

rock.gif

Tilly, Maher and either Flavs or Freddy for the 96-06 poll, I reckon.

Matt
Wrong. It will be:

Tilly
Maher
Dave the Kit Man

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 01 2006,12:27)]Next up, it's 1966-76, which I suspect will be even more hard-fought, between:

* Tony Bentley
* Billy Best
* Arthur Rowley
Actually I think this will probably be a landslide victory for the little man who played so effectively during 6 of those ten seasons.

The final memories of Arthur Rowley, were, sadly, the fans' cries of "Rowley out". He took us up, he took us down and his greateast moments in football were not at Roots Hall. A strange choice, in my opinion..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 01 2006,13:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 01 2006,12:27)]Next up, it's 1966-76, which I suspect will be even more hard-fought, between:

* Tony Bentley
* Billy Best
* Arthur Rowley
Actually I think this will probably be a landslide victory for the little man who played so effectively during 6 of those ten seasons.

The final memories of Arthur Rowley, were, sadly, the fans' cries of "Rowley out". He took us up, he took us down and his greateast moments in football were not at Roots Hall. A strange choice, in my opinion..
Agree with you, it will be a no contest for Billy Best. Arthur Rowley is a strange choice, maybe his inclusion is because 1971/72 was our first ever promotion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 01 2006,12:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 01 2006,12:27)]Well, the Centenary Roll of Honour vote continues - in an extremely hard fought contest for the 1956-66 berth in the Roll of Honour, Sandy Anderson pipped Roy Hollis and Sammy McCrory to the post with 36% of the vote.

* Tony Bentley
* Billy Best
* Arthur Rowley

Phew, this isn't going to get any easier, is it?  1976-86 will presumably be between Dave Smith, Paul Clark and one other (Spence, Pountney, Phillips, Stead, Cadette, Bobby Moore...?).

1996-06, oddly, is going to be really, really easy.  Does Tilly have any competitors for that period?!

rock.gif

clicky
You can hardly hold it against Rowley that he doesn't come and watch; he's been dead three and a half years !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 01 2006,14:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 01 2006,12:32)]
[b said:

* Tony Bentley
* Billy Best
* Arthur Rowley

rock.gif

clicky
You can hardly hold it against Rowley that he doesn't come and watch; he's been dead three and a half years !
Probably due to watching us Pre Sir Steve Tilson.

It was enough to do anyone in
ghostface.gif

Back