• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Once you have achieved everyone, will you start looking for ex Southend ladies , just to keep you ticking over 😂😂
Fantastic job by all

Getting to 500 will be a bit of a slog, but quite an amazing landmark to achieve.

When the post Walker match admin has died down and we have a couple of rainy days I will then kick start another recruitment drive.

Have to say that having done the James Walker match, it's now a great bit of advertising to encourage more on board to show them and say, look, this is what we do, this is why you should join.

Well, bog all else happening so have just signed up Murphy, Dunne and Hobbo.

455 now. Getting to 500 will be a tall order but lets set a challenge - to do it by the end of the year - and to give it a bit more momentum/incentive if we get there who will join me and pledge a £10 donation to Shrimperzone?

OK, quick update for all readers of this fine thread

We are now at 460, mostly thanks to the club waving good bye to a few and us lying in wait at Rayleigh Weir as they drive down the A127

Signed up Tom Clifford this eve - within an hour of club announcing him going - beating our previous three hour record for Coxy

Benton and Arnold are other recent joiners plus Jacob Mellis and Rob Howard

Trying to sort out a SUEPA guest for Saturday at short notice is fun, footballers can be such hard work!

OK, quick update for all readers of this fine thread

We are now at 460, mostly thanks to the club waving good bye to a few and us lying in wait at Rayleigh Weir as they drive down the A127

Signed up Tom Clifford this eve - within an hour of club announcing him going - beating our previous three hour record for Coxy

Benton and Arnold are other recent joiners plus Jacob Mellis and Rob Howard

Trying to sort out a SUEPA guest for Saturday at short notice is fun, footballers can be such hard work!
Hobson might be available

Ok, it's raining in Dorset this morning so gardening work is on hold

So just signed up Jaden Crowhurst, Chris Wreh, Henry Sandat and Jake Hyde.

Net of a couple of recent deaths the SUEPA membership total now stands at 462.

Sincerely hope we won't have an even bigger member influx come 5 Oct

wow, we did well in the1950s with only 6 players. how times have changed, you get nearly that many on the bench these days (other teams, not us obvs)

lol.

Certainly squads back then were more trim. Some more stats for you:

total players making debutsince passed away
1950's6660
1960's8844
1970's849
1980's803
1990's1293
2000's1451
2010's1641
2020's to date680

Note that the above is based on when players made debut - the numbers actually playing in each decade will be a bit higher as for instance the 1950's will also have added to them for total players used that decade those that made their debut in the 1940's so perhaps the 1950's number will be closer to that for the following three decades.

The player numbers though certainly trend steeply upwards from the 1990's and it seems those numbers are steadily n the rise

I should credit Peter Miles and Dave Goody with helping with some of this info which is all part of a project we are working on in separate ways and more news on it all will come out soon

Frank Nouble! :Sick:

You mean the guy that took pleasure in seeing our club getting relegated out of the football league. ****ing horrible bloke, disappointed to see he is part of SUEPA.

@Ricey your comments are fair enough and i did think about whether to invite Frank (his miss v Charlton still haunts), but having seen some of his family orientated and positive online posts and then when asked to join his compliments about SUEPA I was won over. That said, and not liking to see any player publicly castigated online (it's not what SUEPA is about) i decided not to announce his joining on SUEPA social channels as i thought there could be a risk of that which he might see.

Anyhows, it does bring me to a point id quite like views on from you and others on SZ, namely should SUEPA exclude inviting certain folk to join or should we be fully invlusive?

There will always be players that some will think less of than others, it's a game of opinions. And some players who are generally loved for their time with us will have fallen foul of the law, we can all name a SUFC Convicts XI, and some of those are SUEPA members (and a few have been our match day guests and received standing ovations).

Generally perhaps the ex players (or coaching staff) who we might think of as a bit toxic would probably not want to be involved anyway. I have not for instance sought to seek out the likes of David Roche, Sol Campbell, Kevin Bond, Nial Ranger (tho in his early days with us he was great), Liam Ridgewell or Mark Moseley, but perhaps i should?

Time can be a great healer, and had SUEPA existed in 1994 I would perhaps have not invited Barry Fry, but a nicer more generous man you could not wish to meet, and without asking he is always the first to support any charity etc appeal (which he has done for us every time) and his Message to Ron video was just brilliant.

To me, maintaining the credibility of SUEPA is vital. It is all about inclusive care, but maybe there are lines that need to be drawn. I never want to cause upset or rock the boat with it. And i know it's impossible to please everyone so keeping everyone happy is an unobtainable goal.

Tucked away in this corner of the Zone is perhaps the ideal place for this to be debated as I suspect very few if any of the players likely to be subject to 'should we or shouldn't we' debate come here to browse.

So, without perhaps debating specific players, views please from all on the general principle of whether everyone eligible should be invited or whether there is a line to be drawn in certain cases.

Thanks

@Ricey your comments are fair enough and i did think about whether to invite Frank (his miss v Charlton still haunts), but having seen some of his family orientated and positive online posts and then when asked to join his compliments about SUEPA I was won over. That said, and not liking to see any player publicly castigated online (it's not what SUEPA is about) i decided not to announce his joining on SUEPA social channels as i thought there could be a risk of that which he might see.

Anyhows, it does bring me to a point id quite like views on from you and others on SZ, namely should SUEPA exclude inviting certain folk to join or should we be fully invlusive?

There will always be players that some will think less of than others, it's a game of opinions. And some players who are generally loved for their time with us will have fallen foul of the law, we can all name a SUFC Convicts XI, and some of those are SUEPA members (and a few have been our match day guests and received standing ovations).

Generally perhaps the ex players (or coaching staff) who we might think of as a bit toxic would probably not want to be involved anyway. I have not for instance sought to seek out the likes of David Roche, Sol Campbell, Kevin Bond, Nial Ranger (tho in his early days with us he was great), Liam Ridgewell or Mark Moseley, but perhaps i should?

Time can be a great healer, and had SUEPA existed in 1994 I would perhaps have not invited Barry Fry, but a nicer more generous man you could not wish to meet, and without asking he is always the first to support any charity etc appeal (which he has done for us every time) and his Message to Ron video was just brilliant.

To me, maintaining the credibility of SUEPA is vital. It is all about inclusive care, but maybe there are lines that need to be drawn. I never want to cause upset or rock the boat with it. And i know it's impossible to please everyone so keeping everyone happy is an unobtainable goal.

Tucked away in this corner of the Zone is perhaps the ideal place for this to be debated as I suspect very few if any of the players likely to be subject to 'should we or shouldn't we' debate come here to browse.

So, without perhaps debating specific players, views please from all on the general principle of whether everyone eligible should be invited or whether there is a line to be drawn in certain cases.

Thanks
The difference is with the names you mentioned, some may have taken the ****, been terrible or just not all there in the head.

Frank Nouble openly laughed at the club getting relegated, slagged us off on his podcast and gave fans ****. He is a disgrace, I don’t boo ex players but he is one I would!

I also find it strange that you’ve approached someone like Nouble but not Molesley or Bond. Molesley and Bond were just at a club that was going through a toxic time and just weren’t the right managers. Liam Ridgewell it just didn’t work out, he retired from football after leaving us and openly talked about his problems. That could’ve been an exceptional signing or a disaster and unfortunately for us it was a disaster.

Barry Fry did what a lot of players do and chased the money. Yes it was sad that he left us and took all our players. If Kev left us for a better club I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to take some of our better players it’s football. Nicky Bailey left us for his ‘dream move’ and he was hated at the time by many for that but he’s in SUEPA. However, he can’t be compared to Nouble as he didn’t do the same as him.

Whilst I agree there are going to be people in there that some don’t like. I have and never will be a fan of John White, but I understand and respect that he is a member. He was here for 10 years, just not my cup of tea. I didn’t like Prosser either but I get it. Neither of them did anything against the club or spoke of it in a bad light.

Nouble has and I really hope he doesn’t ever step foot in Roots Hall as a SUEPA guest because he doesn’t deserve anything other than boo’s for his conduct towards us post leaving.

Sorry I should also add, don’t take this personally Andy. I think you do an excellent job. The Timlin pitch side interview was excellent. I hung off his every word and listening to him relive some great moments put a massive smile on my face. It probably also made him feel great and loved too.

You're not going to be able to please everyone with this. I don't have a strong opinion either way. Sometimes I wonder why people who have never played a first team game are signed up - but it really doesn't bother me - what you're doing is great.

Back