• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this rule apply if he's out of contract in the conference South?

Just curious
Fair point. I’m assuming it does. If it applies in the Conference (eg Elvis) it would seem strange not to apply in the Conference South. Maybe there’s a difference between full-time and part-time though?

I thought the lad in cm from Weymouth done well today for them if he has played like that most games this season maybe worth a look . Omar Mussa he’s out of contract at end of season .
we were interested in him earlier in the season but they wanted six figures for him - i believe we are interested in him now (was he playing no.8 on his shirt?)

We need to strengthen at RB (or RWB if we continue to play 3 at the back).

I expect Demi to get another year including a coaching role but Davies has been poor IMHO and certainly doesn’t look to overlap like a WB.

Think we will need someone with a real engine.

Little harsh on Davies. Remember he’s only 22 years old and with a full pre season I’m confident he will be a key player for us next season.

When you look at the current squad in terms of age it’s exciting to see the route we’re going down, along with the summer targets we’ve got lined up I fully expect us to be challenging around the top 4 next season.

Hobson - 23
Clifford - 22
Davies - 22
Kensdale - 22

Bridge - 26
Benton - 21
Gard - 22
Husin - 25
Wood - 19

Cardwell - 25
Dalby - 22
Powell - 26

A solid foundation for us to build on for sure. Exciting times ahead.

I see Bromley are not starting cheek at the moment this usually happens when a player is off at the end of the season
Cheek would give us a much needed second strong goalscorer. Misses very few games and knows the league inside and out. There again must be a reason it hasn't happened before. £££ often mentioned, and out of contract so will be a lot of competition possibly especially given the games and goals the stats say you get..

Last 4 seasons league games/goals

40 16 (this year)
45 23
37 12
40 16

The number of appearance suggests not only is he not injury prone but always first name on the team sheet...not as prolific goals per game as Murphy but it would appear somewhat more "robust"

Not sure we could afford Cheek. I'm not sure striker is a position we should be pushing the boat out for either. The reason we don't score enough goals is because we don't dominate games or make the right decisions in the final third. Personally feel we need to significantly strengthen the midfield if we're going to make any sort of challenge.

Sadly, it does seem that financial issues are going to make things difficult again.

we were interested in him earlier in the season but they wanted six figures for him - i believe we are interested in him now (was he playing no.8 on his shirt?)
Yeah number 8 shirt . He controlled the midfield let’s hope we can have a look at him again then especially as he’s contract runs out too .

Not sure we could afford Cheek. I'm not sure striker is a position we should be pushing the boat out for either. The reason we don't score enough goals is because we don't dominate games or make the right decisions in the final third. Personally feel we need to significantly strengthen the midfield if we're going to make any sort of challenge.

Sadly, it does seem that financial issues are going to make things difficult again.
Got some knowledge there Jai or just a hunch?

Cheek would give us a much needed second strong goalscorer. Misses very few games and knows the league inside and out. There again must be a reason it hasn't happened before. £££ often mentioned, and out of contract so will be a lot of competition possibly especially given the games and goals the stats say you get..

Last 4 seasons league games/goals

40 16 (this year)
45 23
37 12
40 16

The number of appearance suggests not only is he not injury prone but always first name on the team sheet...not as prolific goals per game as Murphy but it would appear somewhat more "robust"
I’ve said this before and agree, it’s about money and the length of contract. The stats 114 NL goals against 45 NL goals, I believe that’s correct.

Got some knowledge there Jai or just a hunch?
Only that this season and the various postponements and COVID-related issues have meant it has been a difficult season in terms of cash flow for the club. As for specific issues, I've heard a few rumours of problems here and there but nothing I can substantiate and therefore not anything I want to spread about.

One thing we do know is the desperation for the club to take bank transfers for season card payments. That should be an indication that again, cash flow is a problem. But then, it always has been under Ron.

This is the interesting debate.

Personally it sets alarm bells off when we say on one hand we are lacking goals down to the midfield and wrong decisions in the last third. Yet at the same time bemoan us dominating, and not scoring. Murphy was somehow more prolific, and more of a threat, in a team showing relegation form? And when we were creating far less?

Dalby and Cardwell have never been prolific (all be it they bring a lot to the table) but I feel we need a Murphy and/or Cheek in the front three to contend for the top places. Both possibly as they are different types of player.

We may not want to spend the money on Cheek and want to spend it elsewhere. Thats a choice the management can be trusted to make.

If we genuinely cannot afford him then we are unlikely to be doing anything other than fighting over the lower play-off places.

Very possibly, of course, I am wrong..

If we can get (and keep) Murphy fit, then I'm not sure we need another striker other than perhaps a young back up option or loanee. Murphy signed on a 2 year deal (with the option of a third) last year so he's our player next season.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Akinola - haven't heard much about him recently but obviously Currie will know him well.

Too many people have written off Akinola already (not just on SZ) , can I just refresh some people's memories?

Akinola was the better of the bad group we had when he was here, since the group around him were not very good, he was not able to thrive, as would any player working in a good and inform team. Akinola does have goal scoring ability, he proved that in his final season with Barnet at this level and was one of the main reasons why Barnet nearly got promoted that season - hence the reason why we signed him. And then unfortunately, got an injury, came back from injury and there was a new manager, Phil Brown then exiled him from the squad and first team training without a chance, and then all of a sudden got thrown back into the mix with no warning, causing a long term injury which could've ended his whole career had it been worse.

Sim has not had a proper chance to show what he can do, we as a club - not the manager at the time - have stuck by him and there's a chance he may want to repay that, I'm sure there is a possibility of us also having to pay for his treatment and recovery as well, as we would normally do for any player of ours.

Don't write him off if we active his contract extension, he may be surprise figure for us next season if he stays and plays often. He's fast and he's something different, which could be very important for us.

Last edited:
Too many people have written off Akinola already (not just on SZ) , can I just refresh some people's memories?

Akinola was the better of the bad group we had when he was here, since the group around him were not very good, he was not able to thrive, as would any player working in a good and inform team. Akinola does have goal scoring ability, he proved that in his final season with Barnet at this level and was one of the main reasons why Barnet nearly got promoted that season - hence the reason why we signed him. And then unfortunately, got an injury, came back from injury and there was a new manager, Phil Brown then exiled him from the squad and first team training without a chance, and then all of a sudden got thrown back into the mix with no warning, causing a long term injury which could've ended his whole career had it been worse.

Sim has not had a proper chance to show what he can do, we as a club - not the manager at the time - have stuck by him and there's a chance he may want to repay that, I'm sure there is a possibility of us also having to pay for his treatment and recovery as well, as we would normally do for any player of ours.

Don't right him off if we active his contract extension, he may be surprise figure for us next season if he stays and plays often. He's fast and he's something different, which could be very important for us.

Respectfully, hes hardly played any football in the last 2 years. It's highly unlikely that even when fit, he'll be the answer.

Respectfully, hes hardly played any football in the last 2 years. It's highly unlikely that even when fit, he'll be the answer.
Last time I checked, that's what a pre-season is for, I'm sure we'd be able to evaluate and make a decision during then.

Yeah number 8 shirt . He controlled the midfield let’s hope we can have a look at him again then especially as he’s contract runs out too .

Omar Mussa? This is definitely someone we should look at. Very impressed yesterday, and a Belgium U18 international so brings a continental flair to the Essex Rivera...

Is Simeon under contract for next season? Was good to see him back in the directors box on Saturday.

But agree with the above about their no8, very handy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back