• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Summer Clearout

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
You know things are bad when Cort ends up being one of our best players. On the positive side I think we now know who will stay and who will go.

Replace these players and we'll have a promotion challenging squad next year.

Jupp
Stuart
Macca
Cort
Clark
Jenkins
Husbands
Corbett
Broughton

Cort, Jupp, Jenkins, Broughton, Corbett all seem to have their fans on here. There is nothing wrong with keeping these players for next season but if we want promotion we need better. The others I think will struggle to get a professional contract anywhere.

So no major changes to midfield or up front and wholesale changes for the back four, with Warren and hopefully Nicklau and Hunt staying.

I think I'm correct in saying Bramble has another year to go. If his contract is up then ta ta ! (Yep I've finally said it).

Arguments for any in the list I've made are arguments for another nothing season next year. We need a better defence than we've had this season.

Cort?!
wow.gif
He has been one of our best players this season and he hasn't been anywhere near the way he was playing last season. Corbett and Clark I am fans of, I'm just a sucker for a pair of goo-goo eyes!
biggrin.gif

As for all the rest Jupp - getting on my nerves with his constant lack of commitment not that he doesn't have passion which is good, but he doesn't channel it right for the club.
All the rest I admit can't cut it, Broughton well he is the only borderline for me, all we have to do is get Bo Henriksen in and we're laughing!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 25 2004,20:54)]Replace these players and we'll have a promotion challenging squad next year.

Cort
You've got to be having a giggle, surely?

on the staying side you have forgotten petefer if he hadnt had broken his foot he would have finished the season in the starting line up and Tilly had said he wants to keep him .

Sorry, If I haven't mentioned them they are staying if I had my eyes.

Just to be clear on Cort. I am NOT saying he is a poor player. I'm just saying if we want to go up next season and we agree that the midfielders and forwards are fine then we must all agree that the back four aren't good enough so we should be looking for better.

I know you will all think i'm crazy but am i right in believing that a certain mr casgoine has given up on the idea of playing pro soccer???surely if we can give mr Whelan and mr Marsh a run out what about an ex england hero?just for a trial,eho knows?

Well I reckon you lot releasing Cort is an excellent idea. Then he can come and sign for Yeovil.

As for Flahaven, he didn't look very good to be honest.

agree we all saw how sh*t jup was yesterday nearly lobbed flavs

Macca nah good up and coming cb

cort what u on about Tony he is one of the best in the league and best partnership with warren

Whether Flavs or Cort is any good is irrelevant - something is wrong because we keep conceding 2 goals - on 20 occasions this season now. That is not good enough.

Broughton came on a 2 year deal so will be here next year by the way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hamstring @ April 25 2004,21:06)]How about replacing Flahavan with a goalkeeper?  
wink.gif
That gets my vote ... and one who doesn't sink a pint and smoke a couple of ciggies in a Cardiff hotel a couple of hours after a final ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ April 25 2004,20:54)]You know things are bad when Cort ends up being one of our best players. On the positive side I think we now know who will stay and who will go.

Replace these players and we'll have a promotion challenging squad next year.

Jupp
Stuart
Macca
Cort
Clark
Jenkins
Husbands
Corbett
Broughton

Cort, Jupp, Jenkins, Broughton, Corbett all seem to have their fans on here. There is nothing wrong with keeping these players for next season but if we want promotion we need better. The others I think will struggle to get a professional contract anywhere.

So no major changes to midfield or up front and wholesale changes for the back four, with Warren and hopefully Nicklau and Hunt staying.

I think I'm correct in saying Bramble has another year to go. If his contract is up then ta ta ! (Yep I've finally said it).

Arguments for any in the list I've made are arguments for another nothing season next year. We need a better defence than we've had this season.
Got to disagree with a lot of this thread, but thats what footballs all about!

Jupp - Jury is still out and I think could go either way depending on the replacements out there.

Stuart - Yes agreed.

Macca - Agreed, been here too long and not set the world alight.

Cort - Our defence has looked very solid since Warren has come back and they really seemed to have gelled. There is no way on this earth I would release him.

Clark - Definitely release, not commited enough both on and off the field.

Jenkins - Undecided, again depends on the quality that could be brought in.

Husbands - Disagree, once fully fit he could be a real asset.

Corbett - As above

Broughton - 2 year deal, but definitely wouldn't release anyway.

Flahavan - This really seems to have split the fans on this one, but I would personally keep him without a shadow of a doubt.

Keep Hunt and Nicolau?
Lewis would be a good squad player, but no more than that I think next year. Would not keep Nicolau in a million years and would rather have Stuart left back and thats saying something!

Einstein

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Keep Hunt and Nicolau?
Lewis would be a good squad player, but no more than that I think next year. Would not keep Nicolau in a million years and would rather have Stuart left back and thats saying something!

Eh?

Hunt is a very good player to be at this level, and one which will almost certainly play again in Div 1 or 2.

Nicolau is not the finished article by any means. But I put him in the same bracket as Kightly... very talented, young, lots to learn... but an asset that can be sold on in a few years once he's learnt more of his trade rather than someone like Constantine who can go for nowt on a Bosman.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ April 25 2004,23:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Keep Hunt and Nicolau?

Eh?

Hunt is a very good player to be at this level, and one which will almost certainly play again in Div 1 or 2.

Nicolau is not the finished article by any means.  But I put him in the same bracket as Kightly... very talented, young, lots to learn... but an asset that can be sold on in a few years once he's learnt more of his trade rather than someone like Constantine who can go for nowt on a Bosman.
Np, what I meant by Hunt was yes he is a very good player, but I just cannot see him in the first 11. I think the midfield next season will be Maher and Bentley in the middle and also not forgetting Jay Smith plus others. And Gower on one wing plus I believe a pre-season capture of another winger. In central defence, Cort and Warren. Tell me where you see things differently by all means.

With Nicolau I'd rather we weren't the team where we learnt constantly with his mistakes that will cost us points next season. He is a liability that we can do without IMHO.

Einstein

Nicky is a definate liabilty who can't seem to get it into his head that he needs to defend if he is playing left back.
I also agree about Hunt who although would definately be a good addition to the squad on current form he wouldn't get into the team at centre back and when fit i would like to see Smithy with Maher in the centre of the park.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GeordieDazza @ April 25 2004,21:44)]Well I reckon you lot releasing Cort is an excellent idea.  Then he can come and sign for Yeovil.

As for Flahaven, he didn't look very good to be honest.
"He who has eyes, let him see"! Nice to get a neutral perspective, especially one that agrees with me!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Really don't think Nicolaou is the answer at left back. Has anyone else noticed the boy hasn't got a right foot??? The number of times he could've played a good ball into the box, in the last 2 games, but has faffed about trying to get it onto his left foot, by which time the opportunity has gone or he's been tackled!!!

Stuart could be worth keeping as cover at centre back. He is, in my opinion, a much better CB than LB. Just a bit too short to play there regularly though.

Can't believe anyone would want to get rid of Broughton (even tho' he still has a year left on his contract). Why do so many SUFC fans think that when we buy a forward he is going to score loads of goals? For God's sake, the bloke's a TARGET MAN & a good player to have at this level. Indeed, had he been playing against Hull I think we could've won. He is suited to playing against the big, physical sides, like so many of the 3rd Div sides are...and his committment cannot be faulted-100% all the time. Remember also, if it hadn't been for Drewe we probably wouldn't have gone to Cardiff!!!

The point with people like Broughton and Cort is that there are very good arguments to keep both in the team/squad.

I've asked the question whether these players are good enough to keep us in Div 3 next year (which they are), or good enough to get us out of it (which they're not). Maybe I'm being too ambitious, but I am NOT saying that these are bad players, just that we can get better.

Back