• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Sunderland 1 Southend United 0

I don't think we were looking to just succumbe to a 1-0 defeat. The management team have obviously worked hard to try and makes us more compact, which we were.

We restricted Sunderland to very little. Unfortunately that meant that we offered little ourselves.

We missed a sitter first half and worked hard second half. This is a work in motion that will take time.

We were missing Humphrys, McLaughlin and Hamilton.

With them im the side and more work against the lesser side, we will games .

Just got home, yeah we lost again but at least we turned up! I know that’s how far we have sunk Chris Powell’s mate, but I have had many trips lately were the fans have turned up in numbers and the players haven’t.
Positives from today, we looked fitter physically and mentally, not our strongest 11 but we still gave a strong Sunderland team a game, their budget is huge!
We need some creativity, despite everyone putting in a shift we didn’t look threatening enough, but defensively looked better.
This is only week 1 of Sol’s regime, and the improvement is there for all to see, stay optimistic folks!

At this stage the best we can hope for is some improvement each game. Not sure we will come anywhere near to surviving but not giving up hope. If we do improve and then go down by 3 or 6 points. The whole rons holiday and ****ing about with larrson will really burn..

still got ..

Macca
Kiernon
Manton
Hamilton
Humphries
White

to come back ...

and the way its going they will struggle to get a start - and their fitness levels should be up - and their mentality improved ..

In some way Hutchinson had a poor game today but he has progressed loads - Dieng looks like a player - Ralph was improved ...

Anyway the choice is - cry in your beer and moan and whinge ..

OR pile on the Sol bandwagon ..

Add Kyprianou and Barret to that.

Kyp was flying before he got injured and is a very good defender. Calm, confident and good with the ball at his feet. Barret is an unknown quantity but I am sure I've for and given the chance he will make a difference

Last edited:
At this stage the best we can hope for is some improvement each game. Not sure we will come anywhere near to surviving but not giving up hope. If we do improve and then go down by 3 or 6 points. The whole rons holiday and ****ing about with larrson will really burn..
Totally agree with your last line.Also think the early sale of Dru has made the task even harder because the midfield is crying out for that type of player.Be interesting to know who and why the decision was made

Please tell me no one believed Sol would turn this round in 3 games, this is a long haul project and if we get behind both the manager and the team it may just be a little bit sooner.
This team of ours needs to be sorted out and I believe from what I saw today that it might just be starting to happen.
Let’s get behind the change and not expect miracles.

Absolutely this. Any points against Ipswich, Sunderland or Portsmouth would be bonus points as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't/aren't expecting us to win any of them. I do want to see progressive improvement though. That was clearly on display against Ipswich and from what I've read we improved again v Sunderland.
If we keep improving then points will eventually come and when they do that will boost our confidence which will improve us again.
Lets not forget that 2 games ago we lost 7-1 at home to Doncaster, so yes a 1-0 defeat away to Sunderland does represent progress.
Of course we need points but, Rome wasn't built in a day!

I’m honestly not fishing here but when I stand back and look at where we are as a team right now, hopefully starting on a long road back from a very bad place indeed, and I think about how did we manage to become so awfully dysfunctional in the first place, I can’t help thinking about the Huddersfield fan who came on here ranting on about how CP had criminally wrecked their club. We all gave him short shrift, how dare he come on our board and slag off our returning hero. The reality is, he may well have had a point. CP started well after inheriting a fit squad, but as time went on it all started falling apart, and it’s hard to see where else the blame lies. We became an unfit undisciplined rabble and aside from a brief ‘bounce’ when KB took over, we’re only just starting to recognise it and put it right. Shame as I loved CP as much as anyone and he might be a great coach of international class players, but maybe actual club management is just not his thing.

In some way Hutchinson had a poor game today but he has progressed loads -

If that was him having a poor game he must be some player. So impressed was one Sunderland supporter by him that he started a thread on RTG "Southend's number 36, Isaac Hutchinson" their best player today by a mile, a view endorsed by several others in the thread.
I think you're right to be optimistic. Southend United will not be relegated this season. The right managerial appointment can transform a team; look at Huddersfield, a month ago their fans were resigned to the drop then enter The Cowleys. I'm sure Sol will have a similar impact.

I’m honestly not fishing here but when I stand back and look at where we are as a team right now, hopefully starting on a long road back from a very bad place indeed, and I think about how did we manage to become so awfully dysfunctional in the first place, I can’t help thinking about the Huddersfield fan who came on here ranting on about how CP had criminally wrecked their club. We all gave him short shrift, how dare he come on our board and slag off our returning hero. The reality is, he may well have had a point. CP started well after inheriting a fit squad, but as time went on it all started falling apart, and it’s hard to see where else the blame lies. We became an unfit undisciplined rabble and aside from a brief ‘bounce’ when KB took over, we’re only just starting to recognise it and put it right. Shame as I loved CP as much as anyone and he might be a great coach of international class players, but maybe actual club management is just not his thing.
You may be right @Rob1920 It may be worth starting your post as a separate thread, I sure it will generate discussion. It would be better than in the post match thread.

If that was him having a poor game he must be some player. So impressed was one Sunderland supporter by him that he started a thread on RTG "Southend's number 36, Isaac Hutchinson" their best player today by a mile, a view endorsed by several others in the thread.
I think you're right to be optimistic. Southend United will not be relegated this season. The right managerial appointment can transform a team; look at Huddersfield, a month ago their fans were resigned to the drop then enter The Cowleys. I'm sure Sol will have a similar impact.

I think he’s gradually winning some of the fans over.....he has one or two staunch supporters on here but a lot seem to forget he’s still 19....one problem being is he’s not typically a league 1 ‘type’ player....so some of what he does is overlooked or underrated

To be fair the Ipswich board said similar last week

Last edited:
We clearly lack confidence when the goal is in sight, but there are obvious improvements, not least an attacking and defending shape and overall team cohesion.

Notable performances yesterday from Dieng, Lennon (as well as a couple of clangers in 4th quarter!), Hutch & Hopper. Elvis was everywhere in a fine first half showing, but tired notably in the second.

Sol was barking orders throughout the game and we didn’t have our usual second half dip.

Definitely a long way to go, but you could see a tangible improvement.

Felt that they were there for the taking but we lacked that cutting edge. Clear that Sol is making an impact but it could take time. Too many wayward passes and despite a fair bit of possession it never looked like it would come to anything. Great to see Rush come on though.

More...

I think he’s gradually winning some of the fans over.....he has one or two staunch supporters on here but a lot seem to forget he’s still 19....one problem being is he’s not typically a league 1 ‘type’ player....so some of what he does is overlooked or underrated

To be fair the Ipswich board said similar last week

He's a great prospect. Just lost his head a bit at Orient.

Got to stop needlessly giving the ball away. Ralph, Lennon & Shaughaunessy all guiltily of it, far too often. It’s killing us. One shot on target is never going to reap rewards either. Early days for Campbell let’s hope he can turn it around in 2020. Deffo in need of a few different players.

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell opted to bring goalkeeper Nathan Bishop back into the starting line-up at Sunderland.

More...

SOUTHEND United defender Nathan Ralph suffered two knock-out blows during Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Sunderland.

More...

Add Kyprianou and Barret to that.

Kyp was flying before he got injured and is a very good defender. Calm, confident and good with the ball at his feet. Barret is an unknown quantity but I am sure I've for and given the chance he will make a difference

Now then DWB, now then!

What about Ridgewell!!!!!!

How could you miss him from the list of missing?

yes we are getting better......not getting carried away with anything, we are still deep in the do-do and as mentioned already other teams are picking up points above us, still an 8 point gap between us and safety...…..yes a better performance but still need to get more from this team.....home form needs to improve for us to get out of this mess

Yes it was better but Sunderlands finishing was poor. The midfield is still powder puff and can someone tell me what Milligan brings to our team. I do think Humphreys would have added something and was disappointedhe wasnt available...Bwomono was our main outlet but he was exposed time and again by their winger who got behind too often..Bishop did nothing wrong and showed his more senior colleague how to parry a good shot AWAY to safety..
Were we worth a draw perhaps? ; hand on heart not really because we never troubled their keeper..Sol was constantly shouthing instructions and also supported the players again at the end..Nice stadium, decent people and only £20 to get in..Finally a word for our support, think it was at least 600 which was a great effort and good to see for many reasons. I am confident Campbell can turn this disaster, all of Mr Martins making,around but I fear its too late this season....Why did we play in Yellow...awful non descript poorly designed kit..No colour clash and no shirt sponsor to consider either?

For me the areas where we have to start improving are all in the passage of play leading up to the goal, which was very preventable.

Namely:

1. We play the ball into a ridiculously tight space, with limited options and surrender possession too easily.

2. The midfield is standing off by yards not feet and backs off even more, giving both space, options and time for a move to develop. There is also no urgency from the midfield to track back and become ready to get involved if the move breaks down.

3. Elvis completely backs off the wide man, giving him time to get comfortable and deliver an accurate cross into the danger area. At the same time takes himself out of the game completely

4. No one goes with, picks up the runner, who gets what looks like a dramatic and powerful finish, when in truth, at the very minimum you would want to see him unable to get a direct run at the ball a defender is blocking his path, if not getting a challenge in on the ball to negate a free header, from a defensive perspective obviously.

In general play, you can get away with 2, possible three of these at any one time, but all four one after the other and you get what you deserve i.e conceding a goal.

My big plus from this is if I can spot all the above, then I am certain Sol and his team will have done and I am sure we will improve on this in the coming weeks.

As a positive the defensive performance was an improvement and we got a better result than we did last year............ but we still lost.

However, Sunderland are one of the stronger teams in the division on paper and we could have taken something out of the game, so an overall improvement on where we are now will, I am certain start to see us picking up points and getting some tangible reward for the work being put in sooner rather than later.

UTB

Last edited:
Absolutely this. Any points against Ipswich, Sunderland or Portsmouth would be bonus points as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't/aren't expecting us to win any of them. I do want to see progressive improvement though. That was clearly on display against Ipswich and from what I've read we improved again v Sunderland.
If we keep improving then points will eventually come and when they do that will boost our confidence which will improve us again.
Lets not forget that 2 games ago we lost 7-1 at home to Doncaster, so yes a 1-0 defeat away to Sunderland does represent progress.
Of course we need points but, Rome wasn't built in a day!

But it was built a lot quicker than our new stadium:Smile:

Back