• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Swapping mobile phone providers.

DTS

The Business
I have been with Orange since I was 18 and never found them too bad to be honest. However since I have moved in with Mrs DtS I can no longer get a signal at home which has gone beyond a joke.

Had a blazing row with some Northern Dullard and the long and shot of it despite being in my contract I have won and I am free to move. He is sending me some form of pack code which I can use to take my current number to a new lender.

Can someone give me some tips on how to get a new provider? I understand I can call up O2, Vodafone etc and ask them but is it better to go via a middle man that you see flooding the Sun newspapers etc?

Ideas please.......

I have been with Vodafone since the 80's Dave and with the same number...I recommend them.

depends what network your girlfriend is on, o2 do a good sim only contract and i get free o2 calls on it, which is good cos my gf is on o2

So is it best to contact the providers directly???

i would say so... if you play them off each other you can usually get a good deal, i've never dealt with carphone warehouse etc etc, i've always thought that if they can get a good deal then why can't i just get the same deal direct?!

A good bet would be to ask people who live nearby who they have as provider and then search for a decent deal with their service providers. It dosn't make any sense staying with one provider for too long anyway as they do not look after you and you will get a better deal and better phones by switching regularly (Orange, as in your case just take your business for granted). When u have decided who to switch to you will need to obtain a PAC code in order to carry your number to another provider and the whole process takes about 3 working days to transfer once you have given the PAC code to the new provider.

Give me a shout if you want more help, i've just done it myself from Orange.

A good bet would be to ask people who live nearby who they have as provider and then search for a decent deal with their service providers. It dosn't make any sense staying with one provider for too long anyway as they do not look after you and you will get a better deal and better phones by switching regularly (Orange, as in your case just take your business for granted). When u have decided who to switch to you will need to obtain a PAC code in order to carry your number to another provider and the whole process takes about 3 working days to transfer once you have given the PAC code to the new provider.

Give me a shout if you want more help, i've just done it myself from Orange.

For a bit of a thicko this is good advice - Cheers Steve.

MoneySavingExpert.com

the above website was the same one that gave everyone the heads up on the bank charge scam , and i get regular emails from the website , 90% of the stuf they send is not suited to me but the odd offer is very helpful.

Anyway this month they are writing about the on going price war between moblie phone companys and stated that it has never been such a good time as now to try and blag your self a blinding deal by threatening to quit etc and generally telling a few porkies about a rival company have offered me the same contract for x amount .

My contract is up next month and will defo blag myself a top phone and untold minutes free on the back of this.

Good luck

As far as I know, T Mobile has really good coverage and have never had any problems with them. Altough as Ldnfatso says, you should ask people in your area which signal is good where you live.

It is simple really and from your post I see you have the PUK code. That is all you need to transfer over. T Mobile do really good deals. Their flex-T packages are the best ones. Flex-35 is £35 a month and you get £180 worth of allowance and you can spend that how you want. Obviously you are always going to use a different amount of txts and calls from one month to the next and this plan is ideal for that.

Plus you should get a shiny new handset too. I got a free PSP when I took out my contract with T-mobile! If you go to one of the shops you can usually swindle some sort of free gift along those lines.

Last edited:
I'd recommend Vodafone DtS. Haven't let me down once and in my experience always been helpful and willing to negotiate prices. I think I've seen Carphone Warehouse advertising free laptops with some phones, so that could be a good deal if you need/want one. Like Southend_Lady says you can get free gear with really nice phones now too, including PS3's.

might depend on what phone you want. If you want an iPhone its only o2. I get excellent coverage with o2 I understand amongst others they have a transmitter in every Mcdonalds

I'd recommend Vodafone DtS. Haven't let me down once and in my experience always been helpful and willing to negotiate prices. I think I've seen Carphone Warehouse advertising free laptops with some phones, so that could be a good deal if you need/want one. Like Southend_Lady says you can get free gear with really nice phones now too, including PS3's.

Dave,don't listen to them,Vodafone is a big no-no.

Whats up with Vodafone SATV? Share the bad experience!

Right,i love a contract and getting a free phone each time i switch.

So...every year or so i go to Bluewater where all the major players are and go round for a couple of hours getting the best deals and playing them off against each other.
Anyway,i strikes up this deal with these wa**ers at Vodafone,which admittedly was like peanuts for mega-hours talk-time a month,no-one could get near them!
Walked out the shop later with me new phone like i'd just sold some shares for a trillion pound,feeling a proper Mr Fixer!
2 days later,i get a phone call and Vody are telling me the salesman couldn't do a deal like that as they've changed their tariffs.I say,fine,so what are you offering? They say well,for just a couple of squid more they'll give me more talk-time and much less texts,i say that's fine as i talk more than text anyway.

5 days later my phone is cut off!
I borrow my wife's moby and bell them."Oh,sorry" they say,we've been re-aligning your tariff! Yes,i reply but i've had no phone for 4 days now and this is no good! Anyway,hours later and it's back on again.

Then the first bill arrives....with the wrong tariff!! So i phone Vody and complain and they reply that they've got no record of this tariff i was promised and promise to fix the error.

2 bills later and they're STILL getting it wrong and i'm paying over the odds so i bell them again."i don't know how anyone could give you that tariff sir,it's too cheap" they inform me."Let me speak to your manager" i say and sure enough he arrives. by now i'm ****ed at their behavior so i give him both barrels."Right sir,on the rest of your bills we shall show a credit and basically charge you half as you are in credit with us". Oh goodie,i'm thinking....

So this was done and it all ran smoothly for a year.Until the summer of '07.

A letter from Vody arrives on my doormat telling me that my deal will not be honoured anymore and i'm getting charged a new tariff. Which is DOUBLE what i'm paying!!
So i bell them and protest at my treatment,i speak to the manager and he says all they can offer is my old deal for the first 6months and then double for the 6 after.I reluctantly agree feeling worn out by it all.

I phone them up at around X-MAS and ask for Vodafone Passport which basically lets you phone while abroad using your tariff minutes for just a 40p connection fee and they agree to this.
I flit off to Spain then Rome and come back with no probs on my bill.

Then last month i notice the Vody Passport isn't on my bill so as i'm flying out to Spain taking the kids and leaving the wife at home then i realise i shall need to report back to her daily as she'll be worried.
So i call Vody and they say: "well sir,you've got Vody Passport on one system but not on the other!" I ask will i get charged for any calls abroad then? To which they reply well it's best in your case to use public phone boxes as they're cheaper.Bollox to that i think,i'm gonna be very rural where i'm going,not exactly Benidorm,i'll use my mobile.Guess what? £35 of calls made abroad on my next bill!! The ferkers!

To top all this off,they've stopped me texting and receiving texts for the last 2 Months.They've been having some gremlins so they inform me after thr second time i call them complaining.

As we speak,i still can't text.

Vodadon'tphone,never EVER again!!:thumbdown: :'( :( :censored:

Last edited:
Back