• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Swapping mobile phone providers.

There was a documentary on C4 (I think) a few weeks back that revealed the scams used by sales teams such as Carphonewarehouse and Phones4U... Basically, they all warnt to sell you a contract rather than PAYG - then they try to sell you a deal that is greater than your needs.

I recently moved my wife from a Virgin PAYG to a £6 per month that includes 50 texts and 50 mins. After she's used those up, the tarrif costs are very reasonable. Anyway, when I when to the Carphonwarehouse to sign up to the deal, the salesman tried the hard sell of more mins/text - I declined and stood my ground and so far after 2 months, she has used 40 texts and 40 mins per month.

I just went to carphone warehouse, they found me the best deal for my needs and location, then I went to the supplier and got it cheaper. let them do the searching for you.

phones4u are ****y scam artists mate, they are low salesman, with transparant tactics. Carphone warehouse try to be more helpful than forceful, but to be honest i got mine from buymobilephones.net with a free gift, all kosher

phones4u are ****y scam artists mate, they are low salesman, with transparant tactics. Carphone warehouse try to be more helpful than forceful, but to be honest i got mine from buymobilephones.net with a free gift, all kosher

Talking about the free gift , i always notice on the ads in the paper that they give you a psp or nin wii if you sign up , i always think its a scam , has anyone ever actually recieved the above ??

Talking about the free gift , i always notice on the ads in the paper that they give you a psp or nin wii if you sign up , i always think its a scam , has anyone ever actually recieved the above ??

Yeah, I got an ipod 80gb and £70 direct transfer to my bank with a phone - was sceptical bt to be honest other places were charging for the phone, so was on a winner even if the gifts didnt come. You do need to send a claim form, and to be fair to them there was a problem and they called to retify it (I imagined that they would just chuck away any problem forms).

Used to be with t-mobile but thought they were a bit expensive so went with Virgin who imo are excellent. Reasonable tariffs and when you send 5 texts or make 5 mins worth of calls in a day, you get the next 5 free which is quite good. reception is good as they piggyback onto T-mobiles which is strong in these parts!

Oh and for me it's vodafone.

Im on PAYG, but when I spend £5 during the week, I get FREE weekend calls and texts. This is awsume for me seeing as I do alot of texting during the weekend, and not so much during the week!

Reckon I must do about 600 texts at the weekend, and at 10p a text, thats like £60 saved!

Bargain. Have also had no problems with vodafone.

Yeah, I got an ipod 80gb and £70 direct transfer to my bank with a phone - was sceptical bt to be honest other places were charging for the phone, so was on a winner even if the gifts didnt come. You do need to send a claim form, and to be fair to them there was a problem and they called to retify it (I imagined that they would just chuck away any problem forms).

Good arrows sir , will have to try and get a free gift as my contracts up in 3 weeks.

jay - phone was a blackberry curve 8310 with gps, free of charge on tmobile flext 35 + web n walk + blackberry service. Obviously the gift depends on contract chosen

Oh and for me it's vodafone.

Im on PAYG, but when I spend £5 during the week, I get FREE weekend calls and texts. This is awsume for me seeing as I do alot of texting during the weekend, and not so much during the week!

Reckon I must do about 600 texts at the weekend, and at 10p a text, thats like £60 saved!

Bargain. Have also had no problems with vodafone.
Am I reading This correctly " you send 600 tx over one weekend? Ferk me, when do you have a pi$$ then!

Further to my earlier post t'other day about dodgy Vodafone, i can conform that after 2months now that i can text and recieve text.

I had to battle like a warrior to recieve compensation which amounted to a measly 17.50,but i also battled for compensation for being without the Vodafone Passport and getting charged whilst abroad where i should have been able to use up my minutes instead.This amounted to 17.50 compensation too giving me a total of £35 in credit.

I did ring back and say look,i need a new phone and i believe i'm entitled to one for all the grief b ut they were adamant this was a no-go.And boy did i argue my case, -but to no avail.
I even said look,if i were to cancel my contract now,sign up with another provider and walk into a Vodafone shop i would get offered the same contract with a new phone! But they were quite insistant.

So,as my contract is up soon,i've agreed a new one with Vodafone but fully intend to use the 14day cooling off cancellation thingy and go deal hunting at Bluewater.My deal is tons of minutes for under £20 a month with just 100 texts,but this time i want a new phone.Vodafone reckon i won't do it but i'll keep everyone posted.

In the meantime,if you're getting ripped off,be prepared to fight your corner everybody as "trusty" firms like Vodafone are as bad as they go.Customer care? -they haven't got a clue.

Back