• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Swearing, is it acceptable at Roots Hall

Swearing, is it acceptable at Roots Hall - Family section accepted

• Yes, part of the game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not acceptable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ron Manager

This has been touched on in the 'Racism' thread and is something I feel strongly about. I get 99.9% of my swearing out of the way whilst at football and swear very rarely the rest of the time (anyone who's sat near me at games may find this hard to believe, but it is true).

I feel that swearing at the ref, the opposition and (occasionally) your own players is part and parcel of what is a working class sport. Of course, there are family stands to take your children if you don't want them to hear this sort of language. However from my memory I used to learn far more 'new' words on the playground than I ever did from my trips to Roots Hall on a Friday night. In fact I seem to remember my early trips to football being the first time I ever saw adults swear like that - I just found it amusing.

So, what are your thoughts?

Take out the swearing and you take out the passion from the game.

As you said, family stands / enclosures are there for a reason.

I have to admit, I do swear a lot at games. I try to curb it tho when I go football with my niece, but she dont seem to care anymore, bless her, she's only 12.
biggrin.gif

But yeah I think it's all part of the way we support. If you feel passionate about something and it doesnt go to plan, you need to have a good swear.....

Why is swearing accepted in the family stand? If that is the case, then anyone who wants to swear should go and sit there.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ban all nasty comments about either team, the ref or the linesmen as well. Come to think of it harsh words about opposition fans should be banned as well.

It would be nice if before the match all fans could have some kind of communal bonding experience, no drinking off course though as it damages ones health. As we enter the stadium, singing kum by ah, we could drop all the money we would've wasted on beer into collection buckets for the poor in Africa, Eastern Europe etc.

Sounds cracking doesn't it....! Count me in.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Nov. 25 2004,10:19)]Ban all nasty comments about either team, the ref or the linesmen as well. Come to think of it harsh words about opposition fans should be banned as well.

It would be nice if before the match all fans could have some kind of communal bonding experience, no drinking off course though as it damages ones health. As we enter the stadium, singing kum by ah, we could drop all the money we would've wasted on beer into collection buckets for the poor in Africa, Eastern Europe etc.

Sounds cracking doesn't it....! Count me in.
smile.gif
And replace the Blue Belles with the Sally Army (fully uniformed of course).

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Nov. 25 2004,10:18)]Why is swearing accepted in the family stand? If that is the case, then anyone who wants to swear should go and sit there.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Yeah, I know, I know - I meant excepted of course.

Swear my head off at football (home - East Stand, and away matches), when chatting with mates at work, and in the privacy of my own home and car.  Don't swear generally in public, and held my tongue for the most part when I used to frequent the Family Stand.

And anyone telling me to stop swearing is likely to get a f@"&ing mouthful
smile.gif

Oh and I don't swear when I'm on the telly.....

did I mention that I appear on telly
biggrin.gif

Andy "Mr TV" Porter
a.k.a Suffolk Blue
a.a.k.a. the fat geezer in the hawaiian shirt who swears a lot

I swear at matches to relieve my pent-up anger and frustration, but ,as we have ladies sitting near in the South Upper, have been known to reprimand a certain "inferior car driver" on the rare occassions when he uses the "C" word as I think that is a little too offensive for female ears.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 25 2004,10:36)]certain "inferior car driver" on the rare occassions when he uses the "C" word
He says c*lchester in front of ladies? Has he no shame?

I said that c word the other day, down here. We always say it, we just dont give a sh*t anymore.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2004,10:44)]I said that c word the other day, down here. We always say it, we just dont give a sh*t anymore.
Wow. You really live life on the edge!

ghostface.gif

And there I was thinking you were a lady!

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Nov. 25 2004,10:44)]I said that c word the other day, down here. We always say it, we just dont give a sh*t anymore.
Bloody yobs get everywhere these days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 25 2004,10:46)]
[b said:
Wow. You really live life on the edge!

ghostface.gif

And there I was thinking you were a lady!

rock.gif
I am, but sometimes I let my common side to me get the better of me. If that makes sense......

Even Kev said that c word in front of me on Sunday. He immediately apoligised, bless
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 25 2004,10:36)]I swear at matches to relieve my pent-up anger and frustration, but ,as we have ladies sitting near in the South Upper, have been known to reprimand a certain "inferior car driver" on the rare occassions when he uses the "C" word as I think that is a little too offensive for female ears.
I now use the word 'muppet' as a C word substitute. So, if you hear me call Mr Ross a muppet on Friday, you'll all know what I really mean!
tounge.gif

The volume and intensity of swearing at Roots Hall is nothing compared to some other clubs... I'm thinking, particularly, the home end of the Mem - Bristol Rovers - where these two fishwives, with the loudest & most piercing voices you have ever heard, proceeded to turn the air not just blue, but a nice shade of indigo...

"Oi, rrreffffff, you fuuuuuuuuckin' cuuuuunnnt" has never sounded so fierce as it did in Bristol.

And, for the avoidance of doubt, I swear at games. Plenty. Not quite as much as Spiff - who does worry me... he does look as if he's about to burst a vein at times, and often is so overcome with anger that the profanities are mouthed with a silent rage, as he's too irate to speak!

wow.gif
laugh.gif

But yes, I swear - and, frankly, I've always seen it as part and parcel of footy.

Matt

Back