• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley
O'Neill Thompson White Coker
Worrall Leonard Timlin McLaughlin
Payne
Hunt

Have assumed Rea will be going back as Brighton have a severe injury crisis. Time has come to look beyond Barrett and on the basis that very few sides in our Division seem to have big lumps up front, White will do a more than adequate job the in the centre for the time being.

However, now is the time to think ahead and see what is available in this transfer window to improve the squad with the future in mind. Bentley's lap of the ground at the end of the game on Saturday may be telling a story. Desperately need a forward or 2 and that is just for starters.

A front two with a combined height of under 11 foot? Admittedly they'd win no less headers than Mooney, but probably no more either.

Signing a forward or two, as you say, is an absolute priority and one of them must have presence (strength, height and mobility). Hunt will be a better player not doing the donkey work leading the line on his own.

Smith
O'Neil Thompson Bolger White
Worrall Leonard Timlin/Deegan McLaughlin
Payne
Hunt​

I don't think you can throw ted in just yet, with a back four short of confidence after conceding 7 in two, would be a lamb to the slaughter and could knock any confidence he has big time. Dan needs to focus on doing what his good at, or has he actually been found out and found his level, strikers take chances a lot better at this level then league two... Maybe dan isn't quite as good as we all thought, just yet, and needs a couple of seasons at this level.

I couldnt have written that better, my thoughts exactly. especially about Ted, he does however need to get a game under his belt at some time soon though, especially if Dan leaves.. (in hindsight..which is an easy thing to say of course, perhaps he should have played in the crawley JPT game to give him some 1st team experience at a competitive level), but not right now and at this time of the season, especially after 2 big losses.

I also agree that maybe Dan has been caught out at this level and has'nt really upped his game against clearly tougher oppostion since going up a league level. However, I would'nt say he needs a few more seasons at this level, for me ideally the end of this season would be enough, or the January window in 2017 max, then I believe we will have the full understanding of his competencies at this level or beyond.

Did give the forward line a deal of thought but Payne has to play in that free role. The team would need to play the channels and to feet. Easier to do away from home. Just wish Jack looked more comfortable in a midfield 4 but at the moment he doesn't.

Smith

O'neill. Thompson. Bolger. Coker.

Worrall. Leonard. Timlin/Deegan. McLaughlin

Mooney. Hunt

subs:Bentley,White,Barrett,Deegan/Timlin,Wordsworth,Payne,Weston.

got to rethink the shape - and stop carrying deadwood up front

bentley

white prosser thompson coker

payne leonard timlin atkinson maclaughlin

piggott

smoothly switches between 451 and 433

even 442 with payne moving into no.10

Smith

O'Neill
Bolger
Thompson
Coker

Worrall
Leonard
Deegan
McLaughlin

Payne

Hunt

Needs a huge shake up, no ones position should be safe!

Bentley
White Thompson Prosser Coker
Worrall Leonard Deegan McLaughlin
Mooney Hunt

It might seems harsh on Payne, but for this one I think we should go back to basics and play 4-4-2 with everyone in their preferred position. Bring Payne on if we need a goal to run at tiring defenders, probably bring him on as a striker.

If we can get some young Prem/Championship loanee striker before Saturday then play them instead of Mooney.

There are plenty of options for changes this weekend:- Worrall/McLaughlin to start out wide, Deegan in the middle and either Bolger (is he injured???) or Prosser for Barrett (who would probably be the first to accept he cannot play EVERY game this season) but the one that would be most interesting is if O'Neill starts. Only 5 starts all season and those were only when White was injured. If he doesn't start this weekend, I would seriously consider what future he has at the club (and would also question why he was bought in the first place). Of the 5 games he has played, I think 4 were away from home so I cannot judge how well/bad he played in those but, of all the players in the squad, he is the one I have seen least of...

The Southend team that beat Swindon 48 years ago today ,they could still show that team that played on Saturday how to play as a team and score goals .

We can guarantee Leanord, Thommo, Bentley, Hunt and possibly Coker depending on injury won't be dropped. I think he would be wrong to drop Payne as if we play to his strengths he can single handedly turn a game on its head. Although I think AB needs a rest and should potentially have swapped him for prosser after the col Utd game and bought him back in fresh for the Donny game just gone. So can see an AB for Prosper swap, Deegan ( although think his a walking suspension) possibly for Atkinson. McLaughlin for Mooney and go 4-4-1 -1 against Swindon. So I'd go

bentley, white, Thommo, Prosser, Coker, Worral , Leanord, Deegan ( because Timlin isn't fit ) McLaughlin, Payne and hunt.

The Southend team that beat Swindon 48 years ago today ,they could still show that team that played on Saturday how to play as a team and score goals .

Forty seven ? Score goals maybe, but we'd have a problem at the very back. #RIPTrevor

"Bentley; White, Thomson, Prosser, Coker; Worral , Leonard, Deegan ( because Timlin isn't fit ) McLaughlin Payne; Hunt"

Provides width which was so obviously lacking on Saturday. I'd give it a go.

Forty seven ? Score goals maybe, but we'd have a problem at the very back. #RIPTrevor

Trevor was a Geography master at Belfairs when I was there , it seemed funny calling him Mr Roberts through the week and Trevor when he was playing .RIP Trevor .

CX4kGdkWQAEEzGf.jpg:small

I dont think the diamond formation works.
My team would be with more width, and the wing backs getting forward and supporting the front players.
This is presuming we dont sign a forward before saturday, who would replace Mooney.
Back to 4.4.2. with a decent shape. I know it sacrifices Payne (who hopefully would come on and be a impact player)
The below looks solid. I think now is the game to give lenny the captain's armband

Bentley
O,Neill Thompson Bolger Coker
Worall Leonard Timlin (if fit if not Deegan) Mc Laughlin
Hunt Mooney

Subs T.Smith Barratt. White. Deegan. Atkinson. Mooney (if new player signs if not Williams) Hurst

Keeper
Paul Smith

Defence
Phil Brown
Graham Coughlan
Ron Martin
Ben Clarkson

Midfield
Brian Horton
Elvis the Eel
Steve Kavanagh
Danny Macklin

Strikers

Sammy Shrimp
The blonde in the ticket office

What have we got to lose ? :smile:
think Elvis is better as attacking mid ....other than that we couldn't do worse

The Team for Swindon Away

Bentley
White
Thompson
Bolger
Coker
Hurst
Timlin
Leonard
Mclaughin
Phil Brown Up front
Ron Martin Up front

:omg::dim:4 4 2.

Wouldn't play thomson and Bolger together it will be thomson and prosser

Official Website:

Cheer on Southend on the road
There are still tickets left for Southend United's upcoming trips to Swindon Town and Peterborough United.
The Blues take on Swindon this Saturday at the County Ground, over 300 tickets are still available for supporters to purchase before they go off sale on Friday at 3PM.

This will be the 107th time the two sides have met in the league, with Swindon leading the way with 46 wins, and Southend with 36.

Read more at http://www.southendunited.co.uk/new...rough-united-2866777.aspx#wJ6RBaJIHYBcYTGX.99

Actually it will be the 108th time.

I wonder which season the dimwits who do our website thought we only played them once.

Back