• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Paul Sansome one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As we've already discussed, it's not about being the "best", but about being part of a longevity culture. In all honesty, people of my age would put Sammy in before Roberts, Threadgold, etc etc, because he was part of the team that won two promotions on the trot. Much like Darryl, except taller. And he can claim crosses.

Last edited:
I've found myself voting 'no' more often then yes in these polls as I think HoF requires that bit extra. However, on this one, maybe it's just me being sentimental, but it's a big YES from me.

After Standard left we had the dubious pleasure of Steele and Newell providing the shambolic goalkeeping. In fact that's a bit harsh on Newell as from what I remember Steele was so woeful that even an average lower league keeper like Newell seemed like a breath of fresh air. However Sansome immediately stood out as a class way way above them and immediately added so much more confidence to the team.

His keeping in the 2 promotion seasons and the first ever season in the second tier was immaculate. (OK baring Oxford). Many posters above have used the terms 'steady', 'unspectacular' but these really should be used as accolades to how accomplished he was as a keeper. Perfect frame for a shot stopper, he didnt have to resort to Flahavan esque 'dives for the camera's' to get him out of trouble for poor position or lack of stature. He could pull off the full length saves if neccessary, but his calm authority between the sticks often meant he could make saves look simple. His handling was very good and his kicking ahead of it's time in that he was a great striker of the ball with his feet acting as 'a sweeper keeper', even before the back pass rule meant all keepers had to improve on this.

Won two promotions with us, and played as an established second tier keeper, which many keepers mentioned above didn't achieve. For me, a yes for Sammy in the HofF.

Whhhhhhoooooaaaaaaaaaa, it's Sammmmmmyyyyyy....!!!!

Napster said:
As we've already discussed, it's not about being the "best", but about being part of a longevity culture. In all honesty, people of my age would put Sammy in before Roberts, Threadgold, etc etc, because he was part of the team that won two promotions on the trot. Much like Darrly, except taller. And he can claim crosses.
What he said. And he should be in just for the "wwwwwwoooooooaaaaahhhhhh it's Sammy" chant.

BTW what is the current state of play re HOF. Who's in, and how many spaces left ?

As we've already discussed, it's not about being the "best", but about being part of a longevity culture. In all honesty, people of my age would put Sammy in before Roberts, Threadgold, etc etc, because he was part of the team that won two promotions on the trot. Much like Darryl, except taller. And he can claim crosses.

Exactly. It's not just about being "the best", there are other factors. Such as Loyalty, Acheivements - attributes that Sammy definately has, as well as being among the best keepers we've had. And besides, who ever said only one goalkeeper could make the HoF?

Yep. He's in for me - along with Chrissy Powell, one of my two genuine SUFC heroes.

With Sammy between the sticks - and also with Roycey (my goodness, we were blessed in that period, weren't we) - I never really experienced what it was like to have a shaky defensive unit, or a keeper who couldn't control his area, or someone who flapped at corners, etc. etc.

Since their departure, of course, we've experienced pretty much nothing but the above sensations - although perhaps that has changed for the first time this year.

For me, Sammy is a legend - he will always be associated with our climb up the table, with that fantastic chant, with what the Roots Hall experience is all about. I'm voting yes.

:)

Matt

Yep. He's in for me - along with Chrissy Powell, one of my two genuine SUFC heroes.

With Sammy between the sticks - and also with Roycey (my goodness, we were blessed in that period, weren't we) - I never really experienced what it was like to have a shaky defensive unit, or a keeper who couldn't control his area, or someone who flapped at corners, etc. etc.

Since their departure, of course, we've experienced pretty much nothing but the above sensations - although perhaps that has changed for the first time this year.

For me, Sammy is a legend - he will always be associated with our climb up the table, with that fantastic chant, with what the Roots Hall experience is all about. I'm voting yes.

:)

Matt

...how bout Mildy, legend in the making?

...how bout Mildy, legend in the making?

Don't know. Since the arrival of MtS Jr. in January, I've not been to see us play - so I don't honestly know whether things have improved now that he has a decent centre-half pairing in front of him - something which, hitherto, neither he nor Federici had enjoyed.

Perhaps I should have bitten my tongue about the post-Royce period, but none of our keepers since then - including Darryl - can hold a candle to Roycie and Sammy, although A-Fed looked pretty special during his brief sojourn here.

I'll wait until I've seen more of Mildy before declaring either way.

Matt

Mervyn Cawston was better but for longevity and solidness at the back of a great team i'd happily accept Sammy into the HOF.

I've found myself voting 'no' more often then yes in these polls as I think HoF requires that bit extra. However, on this one, maybe it's just me being sentimental, but it's a big YES from me.

After Standard left we had the dubious pleasure of Steele and Newell providing the shambolic goalkeeping. In fact that's a bit harsh on Newell as from what I remember Steele was so woeful that even an average lower league keeper like Newell seemed like a breath of fresh air. However Sansome immediately stood out as a class way way above them and immediately added so much more confidence to the team.

His keeping in the 2 promotion seasons and the first ever season in the second tier was immaculate. (OK baring Oxford). Many posters above have used the terms 'steady', 'unspectacular' but these really should be used as accolades to how accomplished he was as a keeper. Perfect frame for a shot stopper, he didnt have to resort to Flahavan esque 'dives for the camera's' to get him out of trouble for poor position or lack of stature. He could pull off the full length saves if neccessary, but his calm authority between the sticks often meant he could make saves look simple. His handling was very good and his kicking ahead of it's time in that he was a great striker of the ball with his feet acting as 'a sweeper keeper', even before the back pass rule meant all keepers had to improve on this.

Won two promotions with us, and played as an established second tier keeper, which many keepers mentioned above didn't achieve. For me, a yes for Sammy in the HofF.

Whhhhhhoooooaaaaaaaaaa, it's Sammmmmmyyyyyy....!!!!

best post ever

Back