• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tainted artists

MK Shrimper

Striker
On the topic of music, I was wondering if we should bin artists who's personal life has caused outrage, or can you seperate the man from the art?

For example, Michael Jackson is regularly played on TV/Radio and (it looks like) he was a massive paedophile, whilst Gary Glitter is persona non grata. Ryan Adams has cancelled his UK Tour and looks like he's an utter c-unit if the talk is true (from his ex-wife for one).

Thoughts?

Of course you can separate the artist from the art. Otherwise you wouldn’t read or listen to anything.
Ps I think the doc about MJ is misguided- the main claimants admitted to lying about it in court before.

Of course you can separate the artist from the art. Otherwise you wouldn’t read or listen to anything.
Ps I think the doc about MJ is misguided- the main claimants admitted to lying about it in court before.

Sometimes it is difficult, I used to really like the early lostprophets stuff but haven't listened to them since their lead singer was convicted of being a gargantuan paedo.

I love the music of both MJ and Glitter - nothing and no-one is taking that away from me.

I guess a lot of artists of every ilk have been ****ers. Picasso, Hemmingway, Pollock....I guess if they were nice people perhaps they wouldn't have created the art they did.

I'm not entirely convinced about MJ though, however I will watch the documentary. The truth will obviously never come out.

Last edited:
Sometimes it is difficult, I used to really like the early lostprophets stuff but haven't listened to them since their lead singer was convicted of being a gargantuan paedo.

It’s harsh on the band because they had nothing to do with it. Yet their name and the band are now disgraced, all because of Ian Watkins actions. A very very ****ed up individual who I hope gets his comuppence in prison.

It’s harsh on the band because they had nothing to do with it. Yet their name and the band are now disgraced, all because of Ian Watkins actions. A very very ****ed up individual who I hope gets his comuppence in prison.

Not my bag musically, but Wiki says that the remaining members of the band formed No Devotion?

Agree, from what I have read the band tolerated Watkins in the last few years and had no idea of what he was doing in his personal life, just that he was a difficult bloke to get on with. So you do kind of feel for them that their life's work has been nullified by their singer being a sick ****er.

Not my bag musically, but Wiki says that the remaining members of the band formed No Devotion?

yeah was never gonna work out for them couldn't see them getting many bookings or radio play etc. and they won't be seeing many royalties from the lostprophets days anymore as nobody is going to play or use their music.

I have always thought that there was more to Bill Wyman leaving the Stones .

yeah was never gonna work out for them couldn't see them getting many bookings or radio play etc. and they won't be seeing many royalties from the lostprophets days anymore as nobody is going to play or use their music.

I got rid of all my lostprophets songs apart from one I just couldn’t get rid of. I feel a bit guilty listening to it but it’s my favourite song of theirs.

The BBC etc have strange double standards, isn't Boy George a convicted kidnapper of an estranged sex partner?
And as for other artists and activities with hamsters or in public toilets............

The BBC etc have strange double standards, isn't Boy George a convicted kidnapper of an estranged sex partner?
And as for other artists and activities with hamsters or in public toilets............

And served time for it. Both Boy George and George Michael were in Pentonville when hubby was there, as was Amy Winehouse's ex, Blake Fielder.

Back