• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Took my eldest to an away match at Grimsby (I think), if we won we were promoted. She got bored after 10 minutes. Frankly, as it stayed 0-0, I got bored as well. She was 5 at the time.

It was Barnsley mate and we drew 2-2 in the end after being 2-0 down. Yes she was bored though!

my nephews 7 and he's been a seaso now for 4 seaso's. he loves it. he sits south lower so theres plenty of room and he loves running down the front when we score etc.

All seater stadia don't help. As a six year old, I could wander about the North Bank to my heart's content (because, despite our misty-eyed view of the North Bank, it was pretty deserted a lot of the time in the mid-80s), rather than having to stay in my seat. Non-league strikes me as the best way to introduce children to football these days

I do recall someone not standing on their box whilst the Grown ups spent their afternoon smoking and abusing John Keeley, there may have been some football involved too

Thanks for all the feedback.

Unless her Mum really needs a break I think I am going to swerve it. Thinking about it being so close to Fatso at such a young age might not be a good idea.

DtS

Thanks for all the feedback.

Unless her Mum really needs a break I think I am going to swerve it. Thinking about it being so close to Fatso at such a young age might not be a good idea.

DtS

its the half time trip from Crickson that might make her jump over the railings mate!

My two have been attending RH since they were babes in arms and fortunately for me they got to know most of the regulars that we used to sit with so, they were entertained by a few a people also, when mine started attending we did not roll up to the ground till 5 mins before kick off and there were always plenty of seats and space for them to run around.
They both now today still attend as most of you know
Childrens attention span as we know is a lot less than an adults so if you do decide to introduce her to RH make sure that you come prepared with sweets, drinks etc.
How can you not! heaven knows how long we have left at the Hall.

For the record one of the first sentence my son came out with was " The referree's a w***er" so I would also suggest that you make sure she wears ear muffs

Took my 2 sons aged 7 and 5, to our last home game of the season 91-92 v tranmere. Our first ever season in the old 1st division, which we were top of for a few hours on new years day, before Webb had a bust up with Jobson and announced he was off at the end of the season. As everyone is aware, we fell off the pace and ended up mid table. Kids have a habit of picking up whats being said around them, and when we got home and their mother asked them if they enjoyed the game, all they kept singing was 'we want Jobson out, we want Jobson out'!!!!!!.

Haven't got kids, but I can imagine this would be an unmitigated disaster! My mate's daughter (who's 7) gets so bored that she ends up playing with her dad's mobile phone and whinging throughout the entire match.

we all do that don't we

My two have been attending RH since they were babes in arms and fortunately for me they got to know most of the regulars that we used to sit with so, they were entertained by a few a people also, when mine started attending we did not roll up to the ground till 5 mins before kick off and there were always plenty of seats and space for them to run around.
They both now today still attend as most of you know
Childrens attention span as we know is a lot less than an adults so if you do decide to introduce her to RH make sure that you come prepared with sweets, drinks etc.
How can you not! heaven knows how long we have left at the Hall.

For the record one of the first sentence my son came out with was " The referree's a w***er" so I would also suggest that you make sure she wears ear muffs

When I took my youngest to his first SUFC game he asked "Dad, why do they keep saying the referee's a waffle?"

Perhaps it's our signature terrace chant. We have had plenty of waffle's in the middle over the years.

When I took my youngest to his first SUFC game he asked "Dad, why do they keep saying the referee's a waffle?"

Perhaps it's our signature terrace chant. We have had plenty of waffle's in the middle over the years.

I recall a young son of a mate of mine, who every time he kicked a ball in the garden shouted "you're **** aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh"

I never paid for mine until they were around 5, that may well have changed. Agree that this is far too young with the boredom factor until they are 6 or 7 but this gave Mrs ORM a break. Echo the comments about it being a bigger problem in all seaters. I was 6 when I first went and loved it from the first moment we walked in the turnstiles and then paid the extra to get into the west. In those days you had to pay twice if you wanted to do this.

Why not bring him along and put him in with BV. He'd probably be more tuneful on the drum than the current incumbent who seems to prefer banging ten barrels of **** out of it rather than any rhythm.

Dave mate. Have to agree with everyone else.

I and the Father In Law have taken my boy a few times since he was about 3. Nightmare.

But, now he is turning 6 he is starting to enjoy it more and actually watches the game. Still not quite there, but he's turning into a proper Shrimper. As others have said, they pick up the chants easily so beware. My boy likes to call the ref a "Wacka" when he gets a decision wrong, which I can just about live with...

Took him to Anfield last night and he enjoyed holding his scarf up and singing YNWA. But, even the lure of European football did not impress him that much. He had to stand for the whole game in the Kop end and was watching the Sparta fans more than the game. Although it was shocking entertainment to be fair.

So yeah, save it till she's about 6 mate. Although it would do no harm taking her to a pre-season friendly or two.

I took my Son to his first game when he was 7 , he stayed interested throughout but as it was an Anglo Italian 5-2 thumping of Padova that was a touch easier.

His first league game was the next season and Tommy Mooney kept his attention throughout as we destroyed Oxford 6-1.

It appears that you've missed a trick here, G ... Dave needs to allow you to take his young'un to the game to check out whether your winning ways with youth can continue. If so, then I think we might just be onto something (or not). :winking:

I never paid for mine until they were around 5, that may well have changed. Agree that this is far too young with the boredom factor until they are 6 or 7 but this gave Mrs ORM a break. Echo the comments about it being a bigger problem in all seaters. I was 6 when I first went and loved it from the first moment we walked in the turnstiles and then paid the extra to get into the west. In those days you had to pay twice if you wanted to do this.

Why not bring him along and put him in with BV. He'd probably be more tuneful on the drum than the current incumbent who seems to prefer banging ten barrels of **** out of it rather than any rhythm.

Agreed.

Bloody incumbent should spend his hard earned on getting some pro lessons in his spare time. Rather than trying to get an atmosphere going with his incessant banging.

Perhaps you should offer some tips to the incumbent as obviously you are a pro drummer yourself Sir?

Last edited:
Agreed.

Bloody incumbent should spend his hard earned on getting some pro lessons in his spare time. Rather than trying to get an atmosphere going with his incessant banging.

Perhaps you should offer some tips to the incumbent as obviously you are a pro drummer yourself Sir?

Incumbent OUT!

Incumbent OUT!

Well said.

Useless ****ing ******.

I'll have a word with him and perhaps the drum can be put into early retirement, until the incumbent learns how to play it with Rythym.

Should improve the atmosphere at RH no end thinking about it. As it would mean the support would start songs themselves, rather than rely on a rythymless incumbent and the hardy 200 around him to get it going with the bang, bang, ****ing, bang......

Oh hang on, I see a problem here....

Last edited:

I suggest you volunteer yourself for drum duties as they are so out of tune, I am sure you can do so much better.

Well said.

Useless ****ing ******.

I'll have a word with him and perhaps the drum can be put into early retirement, until the incumbent learns how to play it with Rythym.

Should improve the atmosphere at RH no end thinking about it.

Useless, absolutely terrible.

Sort it out you incumbent, whoever you are!

God, I hope it doesn't improve it, I prefer complete silence.
I love a morgue me!

Back