• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hindle_666

Manager
This has proberly been done before however i havent seen it for a while.
Since you have been supporting the blues what has been your favourite and worst players.

With myself being a 2nd generation shrimper i have seen many good players and many bad ones.
However my old man always seems to remember somone better or worse!
I wasnt lucky enough to see players my dad talks about, such as Cadette,Phillips,Cawston,Pountney etc.
However i have seen a few greats myself such as Eastwood,Stan the man,and my favourite Ricky Otto........
My old man dont tend to speak about many bad ones(im sure theres a few),however there certainly has been some in my time.
So if you got a bit of spare time whats been the best and worse players of YOUR era(plz state your reason why?) and what do you predict the score to be between the 2 sides and goalscorers?

My love afair began about 1990.......

My Best:

GK;Adam Federicci(i think his the most complete gk to wear the blue shirt in my time,shame he was only on loan)

RB;Stephen Kelly(just ooozed class)
CB;Mark Mcnally(always remember that diving header at millwall)
CB;Spencer Prior(2 spells 4 promotions enough said)
LB;Chris Powell(surely no 1 will disagree)

RM;Mark Gower(just didnt know how good he was til he was gone)
CM;Ronnie Whelan(bad manager,but in his first season what a player)
CM;Nicky Bailey(i dont like to admit but what a player)
LM;Ricky Otto(used to score 15 to 20 goals a season from the wing)

ST;Freddy Eastwood(his goals took us to 2 cup finals and 2 promotions)
ST;Stan Collymore(definalty IMO the most talented sufc player ever)

subs;
Brett Angell(what a target man)
Daryl Flahaven(some of his saves were unbelivable,manu,northampton,SORRY SAMMY!)
Mike Marsh(was class)
Adam Barrett(always a place for mr sufc)
Steve Tilson(to have him on the left now)

Manager;Steve Tilson(just ahead of webby)

VS:

My Worst:

GK;Carl Emberson(The fact he played for the scum just edged him ahead of Prudhoe)

RB;Gary Poole(400,000 for this guy,makes foran look like a bargin)
CB;Dave Morley(alvin signing)
CB;phil whelan(Still due a hat trick)
LB;Anthony Barness(but who could replace Chris Powell)

RM;Steven Clarke(1 half a brilliant game againts plymouth what then went wrong?)
CM;Mick Gooding(he gave veterans a bad name)
CM;Stuart Thurgood(what a ......)
LM;Gordon Connelly(yes i know his RM but he had to go in)

ST;billy Paynter (no comment apart from lazy)
ST;graeme jones(wheres those 25 goals mr newman)

Subs;
Matt Harrold(not for me)
Mark Prudhoe(useless)
David whyte(how was he a pro)
Barry Conlon(alvin signing)
Mark Tinkler(not the worse but couldnt do it for us down south,look a world beater at pool)

Manager;Alvin Martin (need i say more)

Predicted Score;
My best. 5 Collymore2,Bailey,Eastwood and a Phil whelan own goal)

My worst. 1 After starting a 46th min run towards goal mick gooding arives at the far post to score a 92nd minute consolidation.

Just a bit of fun to kill boredom with no bloody games!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Good post. Think Ive have Royce and Sammy comfortably ahead of Flavs (both excelled at a higher level than the little man).

Also, its amazing how peoples recollections of games are different. Whilst the Northampton save looked world class to me, Flav's saves against Man U all looked like saves he should have made and if he has let any of those in it would have been a goalkeeping error.
Would also have Keith Jones or Marsh in ahead of Bailey, again they are players who excelled at a far higher level than Bailey has (so far).

Best.
1. Simon Royce
2. Dean Austin
3. Chris Powell
4. Spencer Prior
5. Pat Scully
6. Keith Jones
7. Andy Ansah
8. Kevin Maher
9. Stan Collymore
10. Brett Angell
11. Ricky Otto

Subs:
Paul Sansome
Leon Cort
Steve Tilson
Mark Gower
Freddie Eastwood

Tough choices there, Fred & Stan wouldn't work together very well. Had to leave out Barrett, Benjamin and Goater.

Best (assuming we are including Loanees)
Burridge
Austin
Hunter
Moody
Powell
Taylor
Pountney
Outlowkowski
Otto
Stan
Freddie

Subs Sammy; Prior; Marsh; Angell ;Best

Manager Fry (just for the excitement value of his teams)

Worst
Keeley
Ramsey
Jordan
Hatter
Hone
Connolly
Wilkins
Lamb
O Callaghan
Welch
Young

Subs
Prudhoe , Roberts , Livett, Whymark, Walsh,

Manager DICK BATE

Changed my mind, I'll go for a 4-3-3

with a midfield of
Ansah - Maher - Otto

and attack of
Eastwood - Angell - Collymore

Very attacking!

Best (assuming we are including Loanees)
Burridge
Austin
Hunter
Moody
Powell
Taylor
Pountney
Outlowkowski
Otto
Stan
Freddie

Subs Sammy; Prior; Marsh; Angell ;Best

Manager Fry (just for the excitement value of his teams)

Worst
Keeley
Ramsey
Jordan
Hatter
Hone
Connolly
Wilkins
Lamb
O Callaghan
Welch
Young

Subs
Prudhoe , Roberts , Livett, Whymark, Walsh,

Manager DICK BATE

i remember livett not the greatest granted but could take a hell of a set piece,i assume your from my old mans era from 1970's?

Changed my mind, I'll go for a 4-3-3

with a midfield of
Ansah - Maher - Otto

and attack of
Eastwood - Angell - Collymore

Very attacking!

what a front 3,60 goals a season with all 3 at there peak....

My favourite player ever is Dave Cusack because I once saw him score a penalty soon after he trod on an opponent's throat, always stands his round in the bar, gets me sources and connections in the football media, and gives me an opportunity to namedrop shamelessly on here.

My favourite player ever is Dave Cusack because I once saw him score a penalty soon after he trod on an opponent's throat, always stands his round in the bar, gets me sources and connections in the football media, and gives me an opportunity to namedrop shamelessly on here.

bit before my time however,seen him at the hall various times,(in the bar funny enough)

hows it go

6ft2 eyes are blue david cuuuuuusack............

He lead the happy birthday signing for my 50th in the Spread when Cockles invited him to my party. Top Men.

Best XI:

Paul Sansome

Julian Hails
Spencer Prior
Graham Bressington
Chris Powell

Ricky Otto
Jonathan Hunt
Mike Marsh
Mark Gower

Stan Collymore
Brett Angell

Bench: Eastwood, Gary Jones, Bailey, Sussex, Lapper, Royce

Worst XI

Carl Emberson

Mark Hone
Dave McSweeney
Andy Harris
Damon Searle

Gordon Connely
Derek Payne
Nigel Pepper
Scott Houghton

Graeme Jones
Derek Whyte

Subs: Coleman, Hutchings, Morley, Regis, Prudhoe

Best XI exclusive of loan players.

Cawston
Stead
Prior
Moody
Powell

Clayton
Pountney
Otulakowski
Taylor

Best
Garner

Subs: Sansome, Kellard, Collymore, Austin & Cadette.

Manager : Dave Webb

Worst XI

Keeley
Ramsey
Hatter
Turner
Walker

Skivington
Jenkins
Shepherd

Whymark
Young
Abbott

Subs : Lloyd, Westley, Rogers, Dudley & Harris.

Manager : Dick Bate

What have people got against John Keeley? He was very nice as I recall.

Nice? Keeley? Blimey. :stunned::nope: Unless you are comparing his arse with Flavs' peachy bottom.

I've seen some crap keepers in my teams, but Keeley was the worst. The best thing he ever did was getting sent off and Keith Mercer went in goal in his place. At least Mercer filled both shirt and goal better than Keeley.

Nice? Keeley? Blimey. :stunned::nope: Unless you are comparing his arse with Flavs' peachy bottom.

I've seen some crap keepers in my teams, but Keeley was the worst. The best thing he ever did was getting sent off and Keith Mercer went in goal in his place. At least Mercer filled both shirt and goal better than Keeley.

But that's exactly it Harry, he had a very nice bum as I recall, and I would certainly compare him favourably with the Bartman I last saw at the ground.

What have people got against John Keeley? He was very nice as I recall.

Looks like you're on your own on Keeley, Kay. He is an arrogant merchant banker! he wouldn't even help a mate out in the local Vets League a few season ago. I guess he didn't fancy his chances of displacing me in goal!

Oh & he was a crap keeper too!!

Back