• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's why Freddy Eastwood's nickname is the legend!

Amazing that anyone genuinely does not rate him as a legend.....amazing. forget his recent contract/spell his achievements for this club will not be surpassed ever....thats not an opinion...look at the back to back promotions he got us almost single handedly....that goal!!!!! Im thirty odd years in and have not seen the like and I dont think we will again and then pn saturday the creaking flagging legend prodded in a goal that keeps any hopes of promotion a reality.....absolute SUFC legend.

Yep Stan is one of my legends and only played 33 games for us!
Mind you I can understand if Stan is not a legend in some peoples eyes more than I can Freddy.

Stan is a legend. Played and trained whilst his sister was ill. Showed a real love for Southend and never gave it the barry big kahoonas. Best player I've seen wear the colours of Southend United.

Eastwood did help with the double promotion and scored that goal against Manure but he did turn into a barry big kahoonas after that goal and strutted around like he was a premiership god.

Stan went on to great things whereas Eastwood didn't. Will always be grateful for Eastwood's first stint at Southend but he should never have returned. He has dropped to L2 for a reason and everyone gets excited when he scored a goal from a yard out, that says a lot

Stan is a legend. Played and trained whilst his sister was ill. Showed a real love for Southend and never gave it the barry big kahoonas. Best player I've seen wear the colours of Southend United.

Eastwood did help with the double promotion and scored that goal against Manure but he did turn into a barry big kahoonas after that goal and strutted around like he was a premiership god.

Stan went on to great things whereas Eastwood didn't. Will always be grateful for Eastwood's first stint at Southend but he should never have returned. He has dropped to L2 for a reason and everyone gets excited when he scored a goal from a yard out, that says a lot

As I said earlier, people got excited because it gave us three points and kept us at the table.

So to become a Southend legend, that player has to have done something as great for another club?
Who else that you have seen play for Southend would you class as one of your legends?

So to become a Southend legend, that player has to have done something as great for another club?
Who else that you have seen play for Southend would you class as one of your legends?

I didn't say that did I. I just said that Collymore went on to great things. You carry on lauding Eastwood for breathing, that's your perogative.

He was great at his best - I started going to games in the early 70s and for me yes he is one of the best without doubt. To me its unfair that he is constantly compared to that player whereas other merely have nothing to live up to and put in a half decent performance.

If Freddy was still at his best he would not be here in L2.

He can still and does contribute and I believe now is joint top second scorer in league goals with Barry Corr.
Not sure how many each have played

But my view is that we as a L2 side we are fortunate to have him as now 1 of 4 decent strikers- and by the end of the season I am certain his contribution will stand up to scrutiny.
I suspect by the end of the season he will have around 10 goals and 20 starts- many could get nowhere near that incl. Woodrow (all be it premier quality allegedly).

His first stint here was cult status yet this time around he has been average at best.

The term legend is IMO bandied around far too easily.

In his heyday was very good but legend nah not to me.

Seems strange to say it but i have seen the likes of Roy Hollis , Sam Mccrory ,Harry Threadgolg, Errol Crossan, Jimmy Mcguigan , Kevin Barron ,Bud Houghton play and to me they are legends , ive never seen Freddy play live only in videos of games , but what he has acheived with SUFC makes him also a legend in my eyes, anyone who truly thought that when he came back to SUFC he was going to be as good as he was previously must be wearing dark glasses,the same as if they believe Barnard will be as good, if they are both serviceable i will be happy.

I didn't say that did I. I just said that Collymore went on to great things. You carry on lauding Eastwood for breathing, that's your perogative.

And Eastwood went on to play for his country and scored for them on his international debut. I think some people are too stubborn to admit that they might just have this one wrong.

No-one is saying what he is doing now gives him the right to be called legend, rather that what he did when he was here before has already done that. I'm just grateful that he is still able to get goals for us considering what he's been through with his knee.

Someone here said so what he was able to put the ball in the net from one metere out , what made poachers like Jimmy Greaves and Dennis Law so good was their ability to be in the right place at the right time, no im not putting freddy along side those 2 great players but he does have an instinct of being in the right place at the right time, not all strikers possess thatits not something that can be taught you on a training track.

I think signing him again was a mistake and yes, I thought that at the time. The past is the past, although he provided fantastic memories. My daughter, who's not been to a game in years, still talks about his debut. This may be his last season of football, so I don't blame anyone for celebrating a Freddy goal. I hope there are a few more.

Stanley was also magnificent. If we'd actually given him the manager's job, though, we may not be saying that now. If Freddy hadn't returned his reputation would be unsullied, at least in a corner of Essex. If Paul McCartney had stopped making records around the time of Wings......I could go on.

DWB would you class Freddy as a legend if he had never returned for the second spell ?

I will always hold him in high regard for his first spell and what he achieved while with us but I wouldn't see him as a legend whether he returned for the second spell or not. The period after the Manure just puts me off the legend status. He clearly went off the boil and thought he just had to turn up to get his big move at the end of the season. Legend status should be saved for someone who always gave 100% and in my minds eye, after the Manure game he didn't.

I'd give Tilly legend status over Freddy, not for his managerial reign but his playing career. I'd give Collymore legend status for keeping us in Division One and his attitude whilst here. Benji can have Legend status for the Bury goal.

I will always hold him in high regard for his first spell and what he achieved while with us but I wouldn't see him as a legend whether he returned for the second spell or not. The period after the Manure just puts me off the legend status. He clearly went off the boil and thought he just had to turn up to get his big move at the end of the season. Legend status should be saved for someone who always gave 100% and in my minds eye, after the Manure game he didn't.

I'd give Tilly legend status over Freddy, not for his managerial reign but his playing career. I'd give Collymore legend status for keeping us in Division One and his attitude whilst here. Benji can have Legend status for the Bury goal.

Furry muff.

Billy Best is a legend because he is the Best .

So if Benji gets legend status for one goal, surely Freddy does for "that" goal as well?

If Freddy had signed for a Prem side after the Man U game, he would have left us at his peak. Would he have been a legend then?

Surely "legend" status reflects what you have done, not what you go on to do, whether at this club or elsewhere. Freddy did the business for us for over 2 seasons and achieved international recognition. I can't think of a player who has done more individually than he has. I agree Stan was the best player ever to don the SUFC colours.

Billy Best, Bill Garner and Chris Guthrie were my heroes as a lad, but none of them - not even BB, who remains my favourite ever player - single handedly got us out of the basement league.

Freddy this time around has been an expensive disappointment that (far too) occasionally shows a touch of real class and probably put a few hundred on the gate. I feel he will be gone at the end of the season but his legendary status was banked long before the Man Utd goal in my opinion. You can't take it away just because he got a bit above himself.

Last edited:
Back